Mr_530i

Insurance Advice

My Mrs was involved in car accident last year. Because of a lack of evidence and the other party now saying they have a witness (which they didn't at the scene of the accident), insurance have just admitted liability on my Mrs Behalf. 

We have tried really hard to fight it, but just feel like its not worth it anymore, because of the stress and my Mrs has already lost two years NCB because of this, so her premiums have gone up, which were trying to avoid. 

We have delayed getting her car repaired, because I didn't want to claim on her insurance, but since we have now lost the claim and her NCB, will she be any worse off if she now claims on her own insurance to have her car repaired as she was fully comp at the time? As I presume the worse has already happened now, where she has lost her NCB, and her premium won't go up by much if she does claim, as I feel its unfair for us to have to pay for the repair.  

Doesn't matter whether you claim or don't claim. My gf had an incident where someone reversed into her parked car. They didn't go through insurance, but she still let her insurance company know it happened. Just for that, she is seen as a higher 'risk' and her premiums have gone up by £200+. I repeat she didn't even make a claim! She wasn't even in the car at the time, it was parked in her driveway.

Moral of the story, insurers base everything on 'risk' to themselves and will find any excuse to push your premiums up. You could go to the insurance ombudsman, but good luck with that. This is part and parcel of car ownership.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I'm (sadly) inclined to agree with everything Spreadly has said. It seems unjust that mere notification of an accident  - even if you weren't at fault/even in your vehicle - would have the effect of potentially raising your premium but I'm afraid it often does.

I had a situation a year or so ago when a lorry look off my wing mirror about 15 seconds after I'd parked on a main road (it was scary...to say the least...as at the time I was looking at the mirror to check if it was safe to open the door)! It was reported to both insurers as lorry driver fault so and it didn't affect my protected NCB. However my renewal premium was a bit higher than it should have been the next year - fortunately though I  just called and threatened to leave and - lo and behold - they cut the premium by nearly 20%.

It's probably best for now just to draw a line under it and move on; it's not worth the grief and raised blood pressure.

Thanks guys - as its already a sinking ship, my question is... should we just make the most out of a bad situation by at least calming on the mrs car insurance to have a car now repaired? As her premiums have already increased, or will they increase by a lot more if we do claim on her insurance? Or would I save more money in the long run pay for the repairs myself. 

Edited by Mr_530i

I had a similar issue a few years back. A woman drove into the back of my van hitting the tow bar. All she did to my van was wipe the dirt off the tow bar. 18 months later she was claiming against me saying I reversed into her with a witness. Total B********. Because she had a witness my insurance company wouldn't fight it unless I had a witness to prove my case. The insurance got a bit stroppy when I asked if they was asking me to lie and invent a witness like she had. unfortunately it makes a good argument for front and rear dash cams 

6 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

Thanks guys - as its already a sinking ship, my question is... should we just make the most out of a bad situation by at least calming on the mrs car insurance to have a car now repaired? As her premiums have already increased, or will they increase by a lot more if we do claim on her insurance? Or would I save more money in the long run pay for the repairs myself. 

Depends on the quantum really but it might make you feel a bit better to make a claim and at least see some value for paying those premiums each year :D

Either way it’s a frustrating situation - hope you come out the other side soon!!

Don't get me started. Wife had a no fault accident (driver turned up a no entry and hit the wife and kids then buggered off) we got the reg and finally and admission of guilt.

I'd held off fixing car pending the outcome as damage quite minor. After admission I asked insurers to arrange to fix (wing, bumper insert and then paint and polish wheels and bumper plus a track rod and alignment)

£350 in genuine bmw bits by my reckoning. Quote to repair was £1900 plus vat before even looking at track rod so car a write off....

I've accepted a valuation and kept car (another story of pain including having to pay to get car relayed home) now fixed but in the midst of this my premium went up whilst claim under review and then even once absolved of blame my premium still goes up because "statistically if involved in a no fault claim the risk of you having another accident increases" go figure.....

I say claim and get all you can. Either way you'll be paying it seems default_sad.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Don't get me started. Wife had a no fault accident (driver turned up a no entry and hit the wife and kids then buggered off) we got the reg and finally and admission of guilt.

I'd held off fixing car pending the outcome as damage quite minor. After admission I asked insurers to arrange to fix (wing, bumper insert and then paint and polish wheels and bumper plus a track rod and alignment)

£350 in genuine bmw bits by my reckoning. Quote to repair was £1900 plus vat before even looking at track rod so car a write off....

I've accepted a valuation and kept car (another story of pain including having to pay to get car relayed home) now fixed but in the midst of this my premium went up whilst claim under review and then even once absolved of blame my premium still goes up because "statistically if involved in a no fault claim the risk of you having another accident increases" go figure.....

I say claim and get all you can. Either way you'll be paying it seems default_sad.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has your car been written off Duncan?,

It would make me avoid even notifying insurance when the damage is relatively minor.

Cat N - its a f***ing joke - damage so minor it didn't even occur they could make the repair exceed the valuation of the car.

I got a quote from Cotswolds for the bits they say i needed and its was £350 including VAT and delivery so £1600 plus Vat to fit a wing and paint a bumper and fit a bit of trim is ludicrous - as i say that's before they even added looking at the track rod and alignment....

One used wing (cost maybe £40) and two track rods (£72) and an ATS alignment to get me mobile (£44) plus some T-cut and half a day of my time.

So i'm ahead but considering we were totally innocent my insurance co couldn't have been less helpful!

Still need the bumper painting and the insert replacing and i will do a full KDS alignment in due course but i can live with it for now.

Had i known i would have sucked it up in hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Spreadly said:

I think that protecting your no claims bonus is also a con.

Ahh now this is interesting.

The NCB doesn't protect your premium it is a percentage reduction on your claims history - in protecting yo are preserving this discount. However the underlying premium based on your rick/car/history etc will change.

So lets say its 50% that's safe with protected NCB but after a non fault accident lets say your underlying premium goes from £100 to £200 so you pay £100 rather than £50.

Its like the insurance market is there to screw you any which way.

And of course you are supposed to report an accident even if you don't plan to claim...

Cat N! That is f@#%king annoying.

Reminds me of John Lomas's (TotalBMW) immaculate Polaris silver e28 528i se, when the bonnet was damaged it wrote the car off, a new bonnet and paint job exceeding the written down value of the car when e28's were cheaper.

It sounds like your e39 is a very good example, and a keeper, so enjoy it for what it excels at, getting you from A to B, and enjoying the drive, least no one got injured in the bump which is the main thing.

Indeed and worth far more to me than the modest sum offered to take it away - devil you know and all that.

IMG_6333.JPG

This is the damage and what a write off looks like according to my insurer...

fixed.jpg

and fixed bar the bumper damage - going to try chippex on it

Indeed and worth far more to me than the modest sum offered to take it away - devil you know and all that.

IMG_6333.thumb.JPG.932325df875ddfe665d6eb37ce636351.JPG
This is the damage and what a write off looks like according to my insurer...
fixed.thumb.jpg.f9f15fa425d934869f737f8c2ad2412c.jpg

and fixed bar the bumper damage - going to try chippex on it

She looks beautiful

On 24/05/2019 at 09:07, Steve van hool said:

It would make me avoid even notifying insurance when the damage is relatively minor

It's a tricky one. If you tell your insurers you've had a minor bump, as many policies say you should, then you may get penalised at renewal time. 

If you don't tell your insurers but the other party goes through their insurers, they will contact your insurers who in turn may make it an issue that you haven't informed them of the bump. Either way the blighters have got us by the dangly bits it seems. :mellow:

I would walk away and take it on the chin and change insurance companies.

I'm going to change my insurance company as I felt they really weren't interested in helping me after I had decided I wanted my car to go to my choice of workshop (BMW approved).  I was complaining to them but it wasn't worth the agro and I let it go and made my peace with myself and moved on.

6 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

It's a tricky one. If you tell your insurers you've had a minor bump, as many policies say you should, then you may get penalised at renewal time. 

If you don't tell your insurers but the other party goes through their insurers, they will contact your insurers who in turn may make it an issue that you haven't informed them of the bump. Either way the blighters have got us by the dangly bits it seems. :mellow:

Yes, it is a tricky one, if the damage was minor, and a third party involved, I would be tempted to tell the insurance company I will stand the repair cost, and avoid the car being written off, along with, rightly or wrongly the stigma of my car being an insurance write off.

Edited by Steve van hool
Spelling

As ours was a hit and run we reported to the police and insurers, being as it was totally non-fault by us i naively assumed it would be a formality but i didn't want the third party making some spurious report.

Still i have the car and its fixed and i'm not out of pocket but this leads to two further questions:

1.  What do we think Cat N does to value if the incident is well documented ie you can see the extent of damage?

2. Were the car to be involved i another no fault accident how is it valued - i'm wondering if they would refuse a second payout or is it that the Cat N deducts a value?

Ins co kind of backed me into a corner with this...

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

As ours was a hit and run we reported to the police and insurers, being as it was totally non-fault by us i naively assumed it would be a formality but i didn't want the third party making some spurious report.

Still i have the car and its fixed and i'm not out of pocket but this leads to two further questions:

1.  What do we think Cat N does to value if the incident is well documented ie you can see the extent of damage?

2. Were the car to be involved i another no fault accident how is it valued - i'm wondering if they would refuse a second payout or is it that the Cat N deducts a value?

Ins co kind of backed me into a corner with this...

In theory it should make hide nor tail difference to the value, a good car after a very minor prang is still a good car. It's probably due to the trade finding them hard to shift.

John Lomas's E28 was probably in better condition than when it left the factory new after being detailed by Dairius (bmwclassics) but it didn't stop it being written off after the bonnet was damaged.

A supermarket car park nuge will be enough to write off some cars these days.