Greenninja

Funny vibration from steering when in lock

Hi all, 

I have a funny vibration coming from my steering when on full lock and most noticeable at low speed when gently braking. 

The car drives fine and power steering seems perfectly normal all other times but this odd vibration is getting on my nerves..

Any ideas where I should look?? 

Thanks

Just now, 535i Andrew said:

Could be wear in one of the balljoints on the front suspension.

What mileage is on the car?

77000 miles, I was thinking the same as it seems odd it's only at full lock.. will be booking in with my mechanic to get him to check those. Thanks 

At that mileage I would expect some of these components needing to be changed out, based on E60 experience.

When the car is at full lock the joints will be more highly stressed so more likely to hear to odd creak or clunk then.

I knew something wasn't right on my E60 each time I heard a clonk from the front end. First was the track rod ends then each sides lower arm balljoints gave out.

It could be anyone of the many many suspension joints. Arms, top mounts, drop links, roll bar bushes......

4 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

At that mileage I would expect some of these components needing to be changed out, based on E60 experience.

When the car is at full lock the joints will be more highly stressed so more likely to hear to odd creak or clunk then.

I knew something wasn't right on my E60 each time I heard a clonk from the front end. First was the track rod ends then each sides lower arm balljoints gave out.

It could be anyone of the many many suspension joints. Arms, top mounts, drop links, roll bar bushes......

I dare say you are correct and when I looked in there last time I noticed quite a few joints that could fail so I guess it's off to garage to get it checked over!! More money on top of the service and MOT!! Bloody cars