535i Andrew

New 2019 1 Series will be wrong wheel drive...

.....thus missing the point and removing the 1 Series USP. 

Why would you buy it other than for the badge? 

The only reason you bought a 1 Series was because it was rear wheel drive and the Golf isn't

Although some 1 Series drivers think its front wheel drive already

1 Series Stupidity.jpg

New FAAR platform can only support 4 pot engines so the M135i is now a blown 2.0 4 pot.  At least it will be 4 wheel drive.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/167825/all-new-bmw-1-series-will-go-on-sale-by-the-end-of-2019

Love that picture.

I recently bought a new M140i back in September 2018 and the dealer was saying that this would be one of the last, he told me then there were rumours that the new one will be FWD and not a 6 pot. Glad that is is having some power given to the rear wheels. I probably wont be getting another based on this though and told the dealer then. From what I have read the new 2ltr 4 pot engine won't be as powerful as the current 3ltr 6 pot but it will just be "as fast" and just as driveable. As you say, why would I have one when it has lost both of its USP's?! Although this does give me hope that it might be worth more when I come to trade it in than the agreed value seeing as it is a "proper BMW". 

Could you imagine 335bhp from your 140i going thru only the wrong wheels?

Nope nor can I.

That's why it's been watered down in attempt to gain the snowflake millennials market (that buy A3s) that have been put off buying BMWs because they have heard that they are rubbish in the snow.

Ruined.

It would be a right handful! It can be a handful at times as it is.

TBH it is awful in the snow! But if it is snowing I just stay at home, sod going to work. If I needed a vehicle that needed to cope with snow or poor weather as I lived in the middle of nowhere I would buy a Land Rover, not a small hatch back. So bring back the RWD!!!!!

its because they are using the mini platform for the 1 series. It was always going to happen. 

13 hours ago, Stressed said:

there will be a lot of disappointed customers.

Agree, but they are going after a different customer now to tempt them to the blue and white propeller badge. Even more corporate selling of the soul.

How many of us get to here someone tell us after saying you drive a BMW, "they are bad in the snow" because they are rear wheel drive? This puts off the snowflakes because on the one day a year it snows they can't get out. It's this market BMW are after. The Nissan Joke drivers and Daily Mail readers.

The whole point of a BMW is the poise and balance (not to mention lack or torque steer) of the rear wheel drive chassis. It's why I drive one. 

Get yourself a proper 1 Series before it's too late.

image.jpg

Its £100 cheaper a month than a 520d MSport.

image.jpg

Why would you buy the 5?

On 26/05/2019 at 12:54, 535i Andrew said:

Could you imagine 335bhp from your 140i going thru only the wrong wheels?

The new M135i is xdrive only with up to 50% of the power going to the rear wheels. I assume you will also have an xdrive option in the fast diesels.

I disagree that most people bought the previous one because it was RWD - in fact I bet the majority don't even care except for a small number of car fans (such as on here). They were bought because they are BMW's and they liked the look. 

Edited by E39mad

On 28/05/2019 at 07:52, 535i Andrew said:

How many of us get to here someone tell us after saying you drive a BMW, "they are bad in the snow" because they are rear wheel drive? This puts off the snowflakes because on the one day a year it snows they can't get out. 

Why would you buy the 5?

Rear wheel drive isn't the problem in snow, the wrong tyres is the problem. Good year all season on my 5 really stuck 2 fingers up at the beast from the east last year!

As for the 1, my wife's is a great little car (118i). I would like a play in the 140i. but it would be waisted if it was her run about!

Big mistake, seriously. This defeats the entire purpose of owning a BMW. You may as well just buy a Vauxhall Astra GTC instead. Agreed that people will only be buying it for the badge.

Imo they've also ruined the look of it. It looks like a car for someone who's just passed their test and has rich parents to buy it for them.

2019 1 Series

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On 28/05/2019 at 07:52, 535i Andrew said:

Its £100 cheaper a month than a 520d MSport.

I actually went to order a 125i MSport. The dealer said if I wanted an M140i and of course I would just I couldn’t afford it. Turned out the 125i was over £100 more a more than the M140i. Unless he just wasn’t pushing the deal for the 125i. 

I saw saw a picture of the new 1 series for the first time the other day, it isn’t half tall! Would like to see one next to the current one for comparison. And does anyone know if it will come in a 3 door? Mine is a 3 door and the dealer questioned why I wanted it (told him I have no kids) and there  are lots more 5 doors on the road. I presume it’s some marketing thing that they want more 5 doors out there. 

But being FWD I would make more of a effort to buy the Megane RS I had in mind first. It was only the fact I went into Renault and said I am interested in the RS and their response was “we don’t sell that”. Quickly left and straight into BMW. 

BMW = RWD + 6 cylinder (some exceptions allowed!) 

Edited by KitsonRis

12 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

BMW = RWD + 6 cylinder (some exceptions allowed!) 

Totally agree!

My two E60s being an exception. ;)

Althought quite happy to take an xdrive machine.