JOhnKE39530d

Castrol and LL04 approval ?

Maybe F10 owbers are doing interim oil changes. and have a view on this. About to give my 530d its second interim oil change at 16k miles . However I noticed that the Castrol 0W30 that 5 months ago was LL04 approved , now appears it is not. Anyone got any insight into this - wonder if the oil has actually changed ?. 

What are you guys using for LL04 oil - shell or something else ?

Thanks

Castrol and BMW have ended their "agreement". I've struggled to find Castrol Oil that had LL04 written on the bottle at a recent Euro Car parts visit. The Castrol bottles on display did say it met with LL01, I haven't seen that in oil bottles for years.

As long as it says LL04 on the bottle you will be fine. That's the important bit.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

As long as it says LL04 on the bottle you will be fine. That's the important bit.

That's a bit of a bummer. Our car has been on a diet of Castrol Edge 5W-30 from new, and has only just had oil and filter changed by our indy. And I've just bought 4 litres of the stuff to enable the very rare top-ups! I'll have to check the bottle when I get home, but I won't be about to change oil that's only done around 2k miles. 

In my 2014 520d F11 that is the correct grade oil 0-30 LL04 although in stating that using 5-30 LL04 there would be negible difference,I know lotsof people with mini coopers etc say their engine is quieter using 5-30 LL04, personaly I still use 0-30 LL04 castrol edge in both F11 520d and our mini cooper d which both recommend this oil in the service book.

It's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. Although the car is 12 years old (E60) it has less than 75k on the clock and I agree, the slightly different grade isn't going to make a deal of difference I doubt. 

Using 0W-30 v 5W-30 wont be noticeable to us mere mortals.  The 5W stuff will be ever so slightly thicker at a given temp which is possibly why the engines are quieter.  Could be placebo?

As long as your Indy used LL04 oil @pidgeonpost you will be fine.  If he didn't, I doubt any serious harm will be done as long as it was on a suitable grade, like 0W-30 or 5W-30 etc etc.

Mine will get its first yearly oil change later this year.  I have Castrol LL04 in the garage bought for my E60 so it will be nearly 4 years old.  Will need to think if that's o.k. to use.

I have been doing 10K miles..."home oil changes" for my last two BMW 520D estates ( an E61 and F11).

And I have always used the "cost effective" solution of GM's Dexos2 5W-30 which is BMW LL04 approved.

This is easily obtained via FleaBay for ~£20 / 5 Litres.............Both cars exceeded 200K miles with no engine issues seen ....and both were/are still on their original Turbochargers....which is usually the first part to suffer from poor oil quality.

And yes .........both cars had N47 engines and neither suffered any timing chain issues.....Go figure.....Regular Oil changes almost certainly reduces the risks.

Both cars required DPF replacements at ~170/180K miles, but this is simply down to them reaching their end of useful life through internal ash Build up....and nothing to do with the Oil Quality

So in my personal opinion save your "Castrol sized" money for beers, and use GM's finest instead...............I believe VAG Quantum is now similarly priced online and LL04 approved too.

Peter.

Hi Andrew,

The LL04 accreditation is simply needed to ensure the sulphur content is low such that the DPF life isn't compromised.

The "Long Life" capability of the oil .......is not really being used when you operate with 10K mile period  Oil changes , but at only £20 a  go a ....it is a good insurance policy in my mind...

I also change the Oil filter on a 20K Mile interval, (every other Oil Change) and I buy Mahle OX404D parts from eBay too.....for my N47D20 engine.

I use a Vacuum pump to extract it from the Dipstick tube, so an oil and filter change can all be done "Topside" in a matter of 20 mins only.....Simples....

Peter.