e34-535ise

Back in the same E39...

Sold my 530ise to a friend couple of years ago when I bought a 728i sport, which I sold last year.

Been using my range rover classic since but recently bought my E39 back from my friend.

Nice to back, I liked the 728i but missed the responsiveness of the 530i.

Nice to know someone else has the same tastes, owned four RR classics over the last 18 years but unlike yours' they've all been V8 autos.

Just in the process of buying a 1998 523i auto, if it turns out to be as good as the E34 520i from several years back I'll be a happy bunny.

1 hour ago, Norseman said:

Nice to know someone else has the same tastes, owned four RR classics over the last 18 years but unlike yours' they've all been V8 autos.

Just in the process of buying a 1998 523i auto, if it turns out to be as good as the E34 520i from several years back I'll be a happy bunny.

I do miss my e34 535i manual, that was a great car.

I'm restoring an '84 Range Rover 3.5 manual and also have a land rover 90 3.9 V8 auto. Love the v8's but the tdi ain't bad!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, e34-535ise said:

I'm restoring an '84 Range Rover 3.5 manual and also have a land rover 90 3.9 V8 auto. Love the v8's but the tdi ain't bad!

If God had invented the engine it would have been a V8 :roll:

On 21/05/2019 at 09:48, e34-535ise said:

but missed the responsiveness of the 530i.

On 21/05/2019 at 22:16, e34-535ise said:

Which do you think was faster?

We’re currently running a 530i auto, I had an E34 535i, a manual too, it felt reasonably fast, heck of a step up from the E28 520i anyway! The 535i had the M30 engine, scorpion exhaust, K&N filter & was chipped. It happily span the wheels in second. 

Then my dad swapped his old E34 gutless 520i for one of the last 525i E34s with I guess the M52 engine (?) he got a hell of a shock as he accelerated away from the dealers! Both his were manual too, I used to take it out for him sometimes to give it an “Italian tuneup“ I was very surprised how quick that E34 525i was, probably about the same as the E39 530i with the auto box, my old M30 E34 535i was still probably the fastest of the lot though, I used to make the most of the manual box & was lucky to see 14mpg! 

A friend came round once with his 850i auto he claimed had been remapped to 400 bhp, he took me for a spin it didn’t feel any faster than my 535i, think he may have been telling porkys! 

I’d agree you can’t beat a good V8, we have a TVR Cerbera, that is properly fast! 

I’ve always hankered after a classic Range Rover though, keep thinking about swapping my 200sx for one, don’t really need two coupes...

The hardest part of finding a really good Classic RR is locating a corrosion-free example. The old adage of 'LR's are made of aluminium so don't rust' is nothing but a myth. True many of the panels are alloy but they are the clothing over an all steel structure that was (despite the asking price when new) poorly protected against corrosion, though the main chassis frame fares quite well.

6 hours ago, Norseman said:

The old adage of 'LR's are made of aluminium so don't rust' is nothing but a myth.

Definitely! Our first SWB Series 3 LR was a never ending battle against rust - outriggers, chassis rails, rear cross-member etc. Eventually we put a new half-chassis on it. Replaced it with another Series 3 that had been rebuilt onto a galvanised 90 coil-sprung chassis. No more rust and much more comfortable for road use. I don't know how LR had the nerve to turn out these vehicles with such appalling rust protection on the chassis.

On 17/06/2019 at 10:08, Andyrt200 said:

Which do you think was faster?

We’re currently running a 530i auto, I had an E34 535i, a manual too, it felt reasonably fast, heck of a step up from the E28 520i anyway! The 535i had the M30 engine, scorpion exhaust, K&N filter & was chipped. It happily span the wheels in second. 

Then my dad swapped his old E34 gutless 520i for one of the last 525i E34s with I guess the M52 engine (?) he got a hell of a shock as he accelerated away from the dealers! Both his were manual too, I used to take it out for him sometimes to give it an “Italian tuneup“ I was very surprised how quick that E34 525i was, probably about the same as the E39 530i with the auto box, my old M30 E34 535i was still probably the fastest of the lot though, I used to make the most of the manual box & was lucky to see 14mpg! 

A friend came round once with his 850i auto he claimed had been remapped to 400 bhp, he took me for a spin it didn’t feel any faster than my 535i, think he may have been telling porkys! 

I’d agree you can’t beat a good V8, we have a TVR Cerbera, that is properly fast! 

I’ve always hankered after a classic Range Rover though, keep thinking about swapping my 200sx for one, don’t really need two coupes...

I'd say the e34 was faster and the engine was just fantastic. Found the gearbox a little notchy but was ok. Mpg was terrible but I only used it as a second car. Should never have sold it.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, e34-535ise said:

I'd say the e34 was faster and the engine was just fantastic. Found the gearbox a little notchy but was ok. Mpg was terrible but I only used it as a second car. Should never have sold it.

Just come across this and made me laugh that your still thinking of the e34 lol

It was a great car, probably the best I've ever driven, it felt so tight, when i had it, it was on 62k

Tbh i wasn't that impressed with the power, e28 m30 feel quicker, i was given a spare hartge ecu but never fitted it with the car, is that what you mean by it was chipped? The exhaust was nice but bit too much drone on motorway

Here she is 

Edited by frank_maz

On 6/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, e34-535ise said:

I just realised i got confused between the two posts both talking about the 535i 

I'm a bit novice on here sorry

When i ended up with the 535 it had a custom stainless exhaust, i didn't think it was a scorpion so that clears it lol

It came with a spare ECU and it was a hartge one, never used it as i felt it wouldn't have made much difference without an upgraded cam 

I sold the car for £6k in the end and that was strong money back then, think it was 2017

I sold it to a guy in ireland who seemed to have a small collection of nice condition low mileage cars, i believe he still has it as it's been sorn since