Just purchased a extremely  clean 1998 E39 323i auto sedan in the (usual) silver. Not a cheap car at £4k (from a dealer) for a 144k motor but it has a full service history, the test drive was impressive & I should be collecting the car at the end of the week. I owned a E34 520i touring several years ago & thought at the time it was the best car I'd owned, my only criticisms were that it seemed a bit low-slung (I have a lower back problem) & the 2 litre sometimes seemed a touch underpowered married to an autobox. My new purchase seems better in the former case & the more powerful engine should address the latter.

One thing the test drive did reveal though is that, despite having a new MOT, the fully applied handbrake of the car failed to prevent a slight creep when in drive on a very slight downhill slope, is this a known problem or will adjustment (which the dealer says he will do) rectify it ?

Edited by Norseman

Welcome on in @norman denchfield

Feel free to ask your tech question in the relevant E39 technical section, further down the home page.

FYI; the E39 is known to have a weak handbrake, so it'd be best to get it checked over at a decent garage and maybe have the handbrake system overhauled etc... The parts can be bought readily via eBay (Meyle kit is c£30) and the other parts are another c£30 from the likes of Brakes International then obviously fitting labour costs on top etc :) 

Welcome Norman.  An e39 that doesn’t creep on the handbrake is a rare beast.  It’s been the biggest mot problem I’ve had for years!

Thanks for the rapid replies folks, thought there might be a 'wrinkle' there but nice to have it confirmed. Spoke to the dealer today & was advised that the BM was in the workshop for attention to the handbrake, so we'll see what transpires. Going to pick the car up on Friday, then spend God knows how long (74 year old grey cells) working out the functions of the satnav / music / rear camera etc. screen :(