e34-535ise

No heat from heater after changing hedgehog

About 2 months back hedgehog failed. Replaced with cheap one, lasted a month. Now changed with second hand genuine off eBay. Works but no heat! Emailed seller, he says nothing to do with hedgehog.

(Not had any recent work done to cooling system). Is he right? If so, where do I need to look?

Thanks

As far as I know the hedgehog only controls the fan. If there is no heat I would check the water valve in the engine compartment and make sure that you have not dislodged anything under the centre consol inside the car when changing the hedgehog. Also you could try bleeding the cooling system in case there is an air lock.

As above

Make sure you've bled the system properly and consider replacing the heater valve in the engine bay; passenger side on the suspension turret wall: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-5-7-SERIES-E39-E38-E53-X5-HVAC-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-64128374995/232238550078?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've just bought one and need to fit it; passenger side heaters were cold, drivers side nice and hot; but mines also been causing a small battery drain; it's that and maybe the control panel as well; but will replace the valve first and see how that goes :) 

1 minute ago, e34-535ise said:

By the way, heat comes out of the windscreen vents...

Yup; its the heater valve :) 

8 hours ago, e34-535ise said:

By the way, heat comes out of the windscreen vents...

So heat comes from windscreen and foot vents, but only cold air from face vents? In what position is the wheel on center vents set? Perhaps you have disconnected the cable end which comes from the setting wheel and it's permanently in coldest blue position. 

3 hours ago, Clavurion said:

So heat comes from windscreen and foot vents, but only cold air from face vents? In what position is the wheel on center vents set? Perhaps you have disconnected the cable end which comes from the setting wheel and it's permanently in coldest blue position. 

That does sound a possibility...better have a look to see if I've disturbed something. Thanks

All sorted....I'd been a bit ham-fisted fitting the resistor and dislodged the lever for the centre vent. 

Thanks for the advice given. Least it was a free fix!