Vauxfan

Just heard a slight sporadic rattle at idle

First time today that i had the car running while i got out to move something. 2006 530i n52. And i heard what i can only describe as a sporadic rattle  type noise. Not overly loud but you could hear like a sound of maybe plastic gentally bouncing around inside something.

Edited by Vauxfan

I’ll go with my usual answer these days and check the DISA valve. When my large one was faulty there was what sounded like a weird fluttering sound that would come and go at idle. Can only assume it was the play in the valve cause it to flap open and close at idle.

49 minutes ago, RandomName said:

I’ll go with my usual answer these days and check the DISA valve. When my large one was faulty there was what sounded like a weird fluttering sound that would come and go at idle. Can only assume it was the play in the valve cause it to flap open and close at idle.

Can you unplug each 1 and hear the engine to see if it stops? 

If it is the DISA it is play in the valve flap that causes it so unplugging it will not help. Worth mentioning that both my valves caused errors to be logged (can’t recall the codes though).

I believe only the 530i had two DISA valves and the lower powered 3l n52s had one or none depending on the power output. The good news is that if it’s only the one then it’s the easy one to get at. Just remove the air intake, remove a cable bracket and the 4 screws hold the valve in place. There should be no play in the flap. Once removed I’d recommend connecting it back to its cable and activate it a few times with your favourite diag tool to make sure it fully opens and closes.