d_a_n1979

Replacement folding wing mirrors

Seen these on MStyle: https://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-5-series/e39/exterior-styling/mirrors-mirror-covers-accessories/mstyle-mirrors-electric-fold-saloon-touring.html

Does anyone know if they'll be plug and play with my already fitted OEM folding wing mirrors wiring/switches etc (that don't fold as the internal gearing is mashed by the noise they make when the button is pressed)?

Before you say it, I'm not looking to repair them, just want a plug n play replacement

7 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Yes,  they'll be plug n play but probably won't last all that long.

Are they known to be crap or similar?

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Are they known to be crap or similar?

When I had my E39 I bought a set of these mirrors from Ebay. I had them sprayed Black Sapphire and fitted them on the car.  I think they probably lasted about 18 months or so before they started to fail. 

I didn't want to have to go to the expense of having another set painted so I bought a new set from Teddy at SSSD and stripped them down and transferred the internals from them into the  painted parts of the old ones to make a good pair. 

I did manage to get hold of a set of genuine M5 mirrors but never got round to fitting them before I sold the car so I don't know if they would have lasted longer. 

Sandip bought the car from me so I don't know if the rep's are still folding or not. 

Another thing to bear in mind with the rep's is that they mostly seem to be for lhd. They still work for rhd but you have to have the passenger mirror adjusted to the extreme to be able to see anything. 

I know you don’t want to, but to be honest you would be much better replacing the gearing which isn’t expensive and not too hard to do, about an hour each side. 

I have a set from Teddy at SSDD (i'm fairly sure these are the same) and they were a straight plug and play. Had them on the car for a year now and have worked well so far. I will say you can kinda feel the lack in quality so might agree with Paddy that they potentially wont last long.

55 minutes ago, domt101 said:

I have a set from Teddy at SSDD (i'm fairly sure these are the same) 

I Reckon there's only one manufacturer of the M5 rep's.  The two sets that I bought were from 2 different sellers but were exactly the same in the same boxes and both manufactured in Taiwan. 

On 21/05/2019 at 09:41, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I Reckon there's only one manufacturer of the M5 rep's.  The two sets that I bought were from 2 different sellers but were exactly the same in the same boxes and both manufactured in Taiwan. 

I would agree and they seem to be for LHD cars (if that’s possible) going by the angles I had to adjust the mirrors to. 

Bought a genuine set of M5 mirrors a few years back and there was a big difference in terms of where I had to adjust the mirror to.