Hi Folks.

The handle/opener for the boot lock on my 2004 530d has disappeared up its own cavity. Still opens with the key.  Took the inside cover off but couldn't get to the fitting.  Looks like a boot off job to gain access.  Anyone had this problem in the past?

I recently swapped mine out for one with a reverse camera. Under normal circumstances it pops out towards you to remove it, and you are left with the cable still plugged in. 

Seems strange that it would go inwards. With the liner off you can normally push it out with your hand. Are you sure it's still there? Can you see the cable? 

Keliuss 

After removing the liner on this car, you would need to be anorexic to get your hand down to where the handle sits.   I can still access it a little from its original position, in fact it clicks into action when trying to get it back out again.  I will give it another go tomorrow in case it will come back through, although I am afraid of 'shorting'  something out in the process.

UPDATE.   Just managed to fish this out of the lock handle.  Looks like it has come away from the handle itself but still works ok.  I have taped it in place until I can source another.  The rubber surround is completely perished.

IMG_20190515_205206.jpg

Edited by oldjohnny
update

So the button broke and you've popped it out leaving the remainder still mounted in the hole. The whole lot should pop out in one piece obviously. You're welcome to my old one. PM me if you like.

Keliuss

So it turns out my LCI trunk release button is quite different to Johnny's pre-LCI, connector looks different too. His is the same as an E39 one. While they are definitely different, they still might actually be interchangeable. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Keliuss

Many thanks Keliuss.

Using your part number info via ebay I have sourced a release button unit, number 51248168035, which clearly states that this is for models built before 03/2005.  I would almost certainly have bought the wrong one without your kind assistance.

Cheers.