Milo

Spare Wheel

I currently run staggered style 37’s on my 39.  Ideally I would like one of these as a spare, so what tyre combo would I need or would it be non compatible because of the stagger ? 

Currently 235/40/18F and 265/35R 

Just had a look at my spare, not sure what style it is but the tyre is 225/55/16.

Iirc you’ll not get an 18” alloy and tyre in the spare wheel well. I just have a genuine BMW tyre repair kit in my car; could have a 17” Style 66 in there, but not bothering really 

Is that right Dan a 18” will not fit !

Damn ! 

This is what I have at the moment 

Is this tyre (225/55/16) good for either axle then if needed ?

DAE7-F41-E-7-AFD-42-C9-BA0-D-2-DD8-ADE92

15 minutes ago, Milo said:

Damn ! 

It's OK for both axles. The circumference is roughly the same as any other E39 spec wheel size.

As Clavurion has said, a 16" or 17" spare with the right OEM spec sized tyre will do for a short period as their rolling radius will be more or less the same

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Damn ! 

DAE7-F41-E-7-AFD-42-C9-BA0-D-2-DD8-ADE92

That is a style 48 as supplied as a spare from the factory when the car was specced from new with staggered style 37's. 

As others have said,  the rolling circumference will be almost if not the same as the 37's so good for both front or rear in an emergency (although it will look shite :lol:)

Yeah they do look pretty crap hence I thought I could get away with a style 37 for a spare.

That Goodyear tyre looks like it’s never seen the road (and probably won’t on my watch ;))

Hi,

It'a not the diameter of the wheel that matters, as mentioned above, it's the rolling radius that does. I've had a 19 inch wheel as my spare and left it with a 245/35/19 tyre which is a front tyre sizing. If a issue occurs on a rear wheel, then the RR is within tolerances with that size tyre on the rear. 

DSC02803.jpg

The 19" spare fits no problem at all, however this is in a Touring, I'm not sure if in a Saloon the wheel well is smaller? I'd have doubted that though.

Cheers, Dennis!

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I was more worried about the rear and ‘winding’ up the diff with different rolling radius’s.

Are you also worried when you drive a slightest curve? ;)

13 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Are you also worried when you drive a slightest curve? ;)

Maybe he's got a welded diff :lol:

Edited by 5mithy

17 hours ago, Milo said:

I currently run staggered style 37’s on my 39.  Ideally I would like one of these as a spare, so what tyre combo would I need or would it be non compatible because of the stagger ? 

Currently 235/40/18F and 265/35R 

Just had a look at my spare, not sure what style it is but the tyre is 225/55/16.

Using a tyre size calculator, your front wheel diameter (including tyre) is 645mm

Rear wheel is 643mm

Spare wheel is 653mm

So your spare wheel is further away in OD to both your front and back wheel than your front and back wheels are to each other.

If it were me I'd get a front style 37 as a spare.

Edited by 5mithy

9 hours ago, 5mithy said:

Using a tyre size calculator, your front wheel diameter (including tyre) is 645mm

Rear wheel is 643mm

Spare wheel is 653mm

If it were me I'd get a front style 37 as a spare.

This was what I was thinking, which would mean front and rear are only 2mm difference. 

But does the 37 fit in the wheel well ??

On 14/05/2019 at 20:39, DennisCooper said:

It'a not the diameter of the wheel that matters, as mentioned above, it's the rolling radius that does. 

Except that the rolling radius will be near as damn it, half the diameter........  so the diameter is just as important as the radius as the two are most definitely linked!

Have a play on here

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=245&aspect=40&diameter=19&wheelwidth=9&offset=44&width2=245&aspect2=40&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=32

using tyre and wheel info from Realoem and http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/5