G Whizz

Best phone holder...?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't spot the thread. I'm in need of phone holder - any particular recommendations? I seem to recall one that mounts in the CD slot. I know there are plenty on Amazon - but feeling overwhelmed by choice!

Why do you need a phone holder in such an advanced car. Surely you are not going to rely on nav from the phone or are you a taxi driver?

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Why do you need a phone holder in such an advanced car. Surely you are not going to rely on nav from the phone or are you a taxi driver?

Well, frankly, yes. The sat nav and traffic in particular is fairly hopeless. The maps are missing road works, new roads, speed limits and speed cameras. It's also never once got my journey time right - going to Cornwall it's been over 2 hours out. For long journeys now, I use my old TomTom and for London when I'm stuck, I'll use Waze. It's only occasional, but will use it maybe a couple of times a month. Apple Play for sure next time round.

1 hour ago, G Whizz said:

Well, frankly, yes. The sat nav and traffic in particular is fairly hopeless. The maps are missing road works, new roads, speed limits and speed cameras. It's also never once got my journey time right - going to Cornwall it's been over 2 hours out. For long journeys now, I use my old TomTom and for London when I'm stuck, I'll use Waze. It's only occasional, but will use it maybe a couple of times a month. Apple Play for sure next time round.

Why don't you retrofit CarPlay in that case? Takes 15 minutes and costs around £100. Considering A Brodit clip will be £50 all in, its a no brainer. 

Ahhh - I didn't know that would be so easy. That would also solve a couple of my other gripes with the way it handles (or doesn't) music too. Is this a bimmercode thing or something different?

I find the BMW Sat Nav to be excellent with traffic and roadworks etc, and it updates itself over the air so the maps are always up to date.

The only thing better for driving in cities like London is Waze in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, G Whizz said:

Ahhh - I didn't know that would be so easy. That would also solve a couple of my other gripes with the way it handles (or doesn't) music too. Is this a bimmercode thing or something different?

Search eBay for Apple CarPlay BMW. Will get plenty of results 

9 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

I find the BMW Sat Nav to be excellent with traffic and roadworks etc, and it updates itself over the air so the maps are always up to date.

The only thing better for driving in cities like London is Waze in my opinion. 

I am running the latest BMW version and it is at least 6 months out of date. Waze has shown the Aberdeen By-Pass since it opened but still missing off BMW Sat Nav

12 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Search eBay for Apple CarPlay BMW. Will get plenty of results 

I am possibly the one person in the world who's never been on eBay! TBH, I thought they'd gone out of business as you don't hear about them anymore. Seems a good excuse to go look - many thanks.

4 hours ago, The Livster said:

I am running the latest BMW version and it is at least 6 months out of date. Waze has shown the Aberdeen By-Pass since it opened but still missing off BMW Sat Nav

There are entire housing estates missing near me.

...and assuming you can get it to update - several of us have had struggles to get it to update at all. My first update came after 18 months and have only had one since. The garage and ConnectedDrive peope both claim that the other can fix it but they can't...

2 hours ago, G Whizz said:

...and assuming you can get it to update - several of us have had struggles to get it to update at all. My first update came after 18 months and have only had one since. The garage and ConnectedDrive peope both claim that the other can fix it but they can't...

^^^ +1

Never had an OTA update yet and the current downloaded version not only doesn’t have much of the ‘new’ nearby housing shown (towards a year old now) but doesn’t show the current road infrastructure and keeps telling me to make my way to the nearest road. 

Google maps are much more current.

12 hours ago, G Whizz said:

Never managed an online update in 2 years , I do a manual update so I know I always have upto date version, but its still way out of date,   

On 14/05/2019 at 10:15, G Whizz said:

Which Sat Nav system have you got - mine does all you suggest are missing and provides a very accurate prediction of destination arrival time which it adjusts as traffic conditions change during the journey......

17 hours ago, The Livster said:

The Aberdeen by pass is on my colleagues BMW - you cant have the latest maps update or you are talking about another Aberdeen bypass .....

On 15/05/2019 at 22:59, BacktoBeemer said:

The Aberdeen by pass is on my colleagues BMW - you cant have the latest maps update or you are talking about another Aberdeen bypass .....

Well I can assure you its not on 2019-2

14 hours ago, The Livster said:

Well I can assure you its not on 2019-2

I'm on 2019-4 - not sure which version he had in his car.