Stewlogan

Help please - Angel Eye Bulbs

All

I followed a link on Forum.BMW5 to buy the best Angel Eyes I could from Ledperf.com - Blueseatec LED 10W cree Angel Eyes.

I started to fit the lights this morning by taking off my headlights, but unlike all the videos I have watched, I don't appear to have Angel Eye bulbs already in (to take out and replace with my new bulbs)...

My car is a 2006 530d and appears to have (in each headlight) a "main" bulb & a "small" bulb in both the headlight & the Mainbeam parts.

The smaller bulb appears to light the Angel Eyes...BUT its tiny...!!

I need your help please, does my car not have the ability to accept "fat Angel Eye Bulbs"??

Stewart

:-(

This is a much asked, seldom answered query on these forums. It is a subject that is muddied endlessly by vendors as there seem to be four variant headlight setups for the E60:

1: pre-LCI xenon

2: pre-LCI halogen

3: LCI xenon

4: LCI halogen

As I have no. 4, I unfortunately know nothing about 1-3.

I myself have been there, done that, and ordered the wrong angel eye bulbs due to a poorly described advert on ebay. Got a refund, and armed with the knowledge of which ones were wrong, I was able to order the ones that were right. My setup (LCI halogen) uses one H10W bulb (yes it's tiny) per pair of angel eye rings, so that's one bulb per side of the car, two bulbs total for my car.

They are crap BTW and any "upgrade" LED will only be a change of colour and not really much brighter.

Keliuss

I have option 3 in @Keliuss post above and my angel eyes are 1x H8 per side of the car. So teo bulbs total. Haven't bothered upgrading them to match the xenons as everyone has told the the led upgrades will look crap and not light both eyes... something to do with orange light behaving differently to blue light.

Gentlemen, thank you, a clear concise answer.

My car is a 2006, so guessing it’s #1 or #2 (in the @Keliuss reply), can anyone advise therefore how to upgrade from the yellow angel rings (I’m not calling them eyes to avoid confusion) to a suitable set of white, please.

Regards

Stewart

I'm not saying to buy this exact item as I have no idea as to the quality... but I think you need to purchase a pack of 4x 501 led bulbs for what you're trying to do. Something like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372648584383

Does the fitting at the base of your "tiny bulbs" look the same as in the item I've linked to?

If, as I suspect, you have a pre LCI car with halogen headlights, you will have one angel ring bulb per headlight (4 in total) they are in the bulb holder which has, I think a brown wire and a green wire connected to it. They look like this. Is that correct? 

23BC9793-E4AF-4E85-87C6-73726933AE4A.jpeg

Thanks @Peggowski & @WebWeaver,

Here are the pictures of my lights.

I'm guessing that the Green/Brown wires in the "inner light" (mainbeam?)is the same as the Grey/Brown on the Outside light (headlights).

Thanks for this advice Gents, really appreciated.

Regards

Stewart

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9632.JPG

Yes looks like it. I changed mine for some 12 LED bulbs, but as previously said, they are really a colour change, not as bright enough to be considered as daytime running lights, although the ones I have are better than others I’ve seen 

Hi appreciate this post might be dead as a month old.

I have pre LCI Xenon and i originally used the £20 ones from Ebay/Amazon. I found they didnt last more that a few months and are not very bright.

These are fantastic compared to the cheaper ones and have a decent guarantee.

Down side is the cost.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NPRGVWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just wanted to say thanks....@Peggowski & @WebWeaver for your advice...

Angel lights looking so good.....

.....have ordered new headlights, mails and fogs from LEDPERF.COM - White lights really lift the car...

Thanks Guys

Stew

IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

Edited by Stewlogan

On 5/12/2019 at 12:39 AM, Keliuss said:

This is a much asked, seldom answered query on these forums. It is a subject that is muddied endlessly by vendors as there seem to be four variant headlight setups for the E60:

1: pre-LCI xenon

2: pre-LCI halogen

3: LCI xenon

4: LCI halogen

As I have no. 4, I unfortunately know nothing about 1-3.

I myself have been there, done that, and ordered the wrong angel eye bulbs due to a poorly described advert on ebay. Got a refund, and armed with the knowledge of which ones were wrong, I was able to order the ones that were right. My setup (LCI halogen) uses one H10W bulb (yes it's tiny) per pair of angel eye rings, so that's one bulb per side of the car, two bulbs total for my car.

They are crap BTW and any "upgrade" LED will only be a change of colour and not really much brighter.

Keliuss

That has the be the most concise comment i have read on this subject since looking into this very same question as i didnt want to post up the same noob question but seriously got lost in all the mesh of threads like the OP.

Thank you very much for that as i believe like the OP i have the same number 1 setup on my 2006 530D SE. One of the sides the ring lights are out and i need to buy replacement bulbs so looking to replace both side so that the match. 

OK so I've got the active xenon pre lci headlights and on my I drive I have the option for DRL (from what I have read, not all do in pre lci) but when I select it... What position should the light switch be in and what should I see light up in the lamps? 

Also its worth noting that my drivers side halo lights need replacing as they ain't working but the orange strip above them is working. 

IMG_20190624_202611.jpg

IMG_20190624_203523.jpg

Hi, I have the same dynamic xenon lights and can tell you the halo's (2 rings) share one bulb rather than a bulb per ring. It's a bugger to replace even with the headlight removed.

Also the DRL control in idrive just keeps the headlights on when the lights are switched to auto. (This is according to my car. Coding can change settings)

RgdS Paj. 

Ahhamn thanks for the clarification on the bulb and the DRL. Really appreciate it. 

Will be watching YouTube to work out how to take the buggers out. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, Paj said:

Hi, I have the same dynamic xenon lights and can tell you the halo's (2 rings) share one bulb rather than a bulb per ring. It's a bugger to replace even with the headlight removed.

Also the DRL control in idrive just keeps the headlights on when the lights are switched to auto. (This is according to my car. Coding can change settings)

RgdS Paj. 

So which lights did you end up going with in the end and what do you make of em?

2 hours ago, fizz said:

So which lights did you end up going with in the end and what do you make of em?

Hi Fizz,

I bought these on Amazon, which are ok. They are brighter and whiter that standard but there is better out there if you are happy to pay £50-£80 etc

I hope someone can suggest better for Pre LCI Xenon's.

RgdS Paj

image.thumb.png.d46a61f6a2ffa2faefd21c81ee6952e0.png