For personal reasons I'm planning a little run in the 540 up to Lockerbie at some point this year. Aside from the destination, I'm just thinking about other places to call in upon on my way up, or return.

Always fancied seeing Blackpool and other stuff that I can't quite recall right now(!), but what can you local guys suggest that are north of Manchester/Liverpool that might be of interest?

I think I'd most likely be coming up the M6 to Carlise, then the A74(M) for Lockerbie. 

Kirby Longsdale is lovely.

Trough of Bowland is far nicer than Blackpool which I personally would avoid - better going to Southport or Lytham St Annes if want to see the coast. 

Arnside is not too far off the M6 in south Cumbria and does not have the traffic issues of the nearby lake district.

As above; unless you REALLY want to see Blackpool; stay away, it's still a shithole...

Arnside/Sandside are just off junction 35 Carnforth, a lovely view at Arnside over the Kent Estuary, more so if the tides up and you're sat there in the sunshine with a pasty and a brew ;) 

Lytham and St Annes are lovely also; lovely fronts and a few very good chippys too (Whelan's) ;) 

Trough of Bowland/Ribble Valley are lovely places, plenty of small villages and pubs to see, but they're not 'off' the M6; so need bit of a drive to get to places... However, if you do fancy that, I'd highly recommend lunch at Holmes Mill in Clitheroe; largest bar in England :mrgreen: 

Morecambe is nice too; it's getting better & better year on; they're doing a great job revamping the front and it's so much easier to get to now they've sorted the motorway junction and bypasses etc :)

You'll be passing my doorstep too Keith; so keep us posted and I'm sure we can arrange a meet and a coffee if you wished to do so

If you're staying near Lockerbie and like driving enthusiastically round corners you'd do well to to take the B723 road to Eskdalemuir. The road is worth it just for the drive but when you get to Eskdalemuir if you head north on the B709 for a mile or so you'll come to the Samye Ling Buddhist temple which is a nice place to be if that's your thing. Otherwise just turn round and hoof it back along the 723. There are so many good roads to drive in the area. You could spend a whole day just driving and exploring. 

If you are in no hurry go via the Lake district, take Kendal turn off the M6, then it's the A594, via Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere, and re join the motorway after Keswick, or carry on up the A6 to Carlisle.

Yup this. Lakes are stunning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

If you are in no hurry go via the Lake district, take Kendal turn off the M6, then it's the A594, via Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere, and re join the motorway after Keswick, or carry on up the A6 to Carlisle.

This ^^^^.

I go at least a couple of times a year in different cars. Some great driving roads, walking, towns and sights. ;)

C.

Might be worth a trip out towards the shopping outlet near Chester. Cheshire Oaks I think it's called. Nice day out but can get expensive. 

6 hours ago, sanjx said:

Might be worth a trip out towards the shopping outlet near Chester. Cheshire Oaks I think it's called. Nice day out but can get expensive. 

Unfortunately I won't have time for that and it's not that sort of trip, but thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, bigrigbri said:

A stop in Beverly in Yorkshire is must for those that like quaint clean towns.

With respect, if the OP lives near Gatwick and is going to Lockerbie presumably he'll travel M25 - M1 (or M40) - M6, he really doesn't go anywhere near Beverley which is 100-odd miles the other side of the country (unless they've moved it!)

10 minutes ago, pauliexjr said:

With respect, if the OP lives near Gatwick and is going to Lockerbie presumably he'll travel M25 - M1 (or M40) - M6, he really doesn't go anywhere near Beverley which is 100-odd miles the other side of the country (unless they've moved it!)

Spot on, exactly what I'll be doing. Yes it's a little out of my way but thanks all the same to bigrigbri for his input.

Edited by Loadmaster

After Preston on the M6, there is only Lancaster, Penrith and Carlisle before you get to Glasgow. You want fish and chips in Blackpool? Go for it. Get on the M55 and it is only going to lose you an hour. And that probably includes the time for your chips to cool. :) While you are there, ask how they get the elephants up into the Tower circus.

Lake District is great but remember it has lakes for one reason - it rains a lot.  You could visit Liverpool or even Manchester if you are so inclined. But maybe somebody from the above 3 towns might give you the low down on local attractions. If you have a lady friend with you, you could always call in at Gretna Green :)

22 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

After Preston on the M6, there is only Lancaster, Penrith and Carlisle before you get to Glasgow. You want fish and chips in Blackpool? Go for it. Get on the M55 and it is only going to lose you an hour. And that probably includes the time for your chips to cool. :) While you are there, ask how they get the elephants up into the Tower circus.

Lake District is great but remember it has lakes for one reason - it rains a lot.  You could visit Liverpool or even Manchester if you are so inclined. But maybe somebody from the above 3 towns might give you the low down on local attractions. If you have a lady friend with you, you could always call in at Gretna Green :)

Been to Liverpool and Manchester literally dozens of times in a previous job many years ago. Even Carlisle more than a good few. I was flight crew (hence Loadmaster) for a company that used to fly plutonium rods from Carlisle to Dounreay on a regular basis. A 13ft long steel container, 3ft high by 3ft wide. It weighed nearly 5 tons, great fun to get lashed down! Married for donkeys, but Gretna looked very nice on a recent TV prog and still tempted by Blackpool, just for the hell of it!

What about my home town of Chesterfield with the crooked spire church that's a big tourist attraction.

750+ years old plus a old market town with plenty of stuff to do if you research. 

M1 j29

This is going to be a bit random but have you thought of going up the A1 and cutting across?

You could take in Lincoln, York, Whitby, the Transporter Bridge at Middlesbrough (if it is ever open), the Angel of the North and the Tyne Bridge.  

The M6 is really crap until you pass Preston , always heavily congested and currently has 50 mph for long long sections 

if I was doing a bit of a trip I think I would take an alternative route if time wasn’t a factor ..

You could take in many villages and some stunning scenery..

in real terms may may add a couple of hours to your full journey, if that.

Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Northumberland and the lakes have so much to see.

Blackpool is a thing in itself, I have been many times on stag do’s and days out. I guess if you have never been it would be worth a drive through , although it’s usually scruffy and full of chip papers, beer cans and drunken Scottish people laying in the gutters 

4 minutes ago, alpinaman said:

The M6 is really crap until you pass Preston , always heavily congested and currently has 50 mph for long long sections 

if I was doing a bit of a trip I think I would take an alternative route if time wasn’t a factor ..

You could take in many villages and some stunning scenery..

in real terms may may add a couple of hours to your full journey, if that.

Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Northumberland and the lakes have so much to see.

Blackpool is a thing in itself, I have been many times on stag do’s and days out. I guess if you have never been it would be worth a drive through , although it’s usually scruffy and full of chip papers, beer cans and drunken Scottish people laying in the gutters 

That's why the new pavement works there are now called 'shared space' :lol: