E39mad

Air con condenser - recall or contribution?

My F11's aircon has stopped working as it appears to have a gas leak.

Bearing in mind my car is over 8 years old with 68000 miles has anyone managed to get BMW to pay for a new one or contribute heavily?

Was there an "unofficial" recall to sort these out?

Many thanks

If you don't ask you don't get, as they say. :)   That's about the same mileage as the one on our E60 failed at. Our aircon fella said he's done a few that have suffered stone damage - not really protected very well. 

Mine was checked over here at the same time as the EGR recall check.... 've must put a new one for you... it vill be 700 euro' ..... err, nein danke. I'll do it myself.

Apparently the 'product enhancement' only affects undamaged condensers that show signs of failing in specified places. :angry:

Not sure if they'll entertain you at that age but worth a try. 

I replaced mine with an original Hella ulit from ECP which failed after 1 year and 1 week. Needless to say, ECP couldn't care less and neither did Hella. 

I replaced it with a Nissens unit  from Amazon (Danish). 10 months on, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Its the 2rd replacement so wasn't minded to buy any more Hella units! 

Relatively easy to replace. Just need to get it regassed once you've fitted the new unit. 

Mine, fixed under AUC warranty at 4 years old.  Dads replaced under manufacturers warranty at probably no more than 2.5 years old. I doubt they will entertain yours at that age, sorry.

You will  loose nothing by asking though.

BMW should hopefully give you a good quote for doing it, they are quite practised at it! I think reports on here mention getting them done for well under £300 from BMW. 

Thanks all.

I have purchased a new Nissens from fleabay for £110 and will attempt to fit myself.

Guys, I didn't do a write up because there's a really good you tube video showing how it's done. 

Try following this link. 

If I can do it, anyone can! 

I'd recommend fitting a sheet of unobtrusive mesh over the lower part to protect it from stone damage. 

Well started the job this morning following the excellent link above and have been flummoxed by the hex screw at the front (1 min 45 secs into the video) 

Despite spraying with GT86 and leaving to penetrate the screw just will not budge as appears fused to the metal bracket so think it's off to the indy for this one! 

Bit of heat on the bolt? 

I successfully managed to get bolts undone just by applying a bit of heat from an old hair dryer, just enough to get the surrounding metal to expand a touch.

I have said this before on another thread years ago, but, it always amuses me how these mechanics "crash and bash" things around when they are working on the cars. We just leave our cars with them in the faith that they will be looked after lol !!!!!!

Having had all these bolts out during my front end repairs, you'll find there is blue Loctite on the threads. It's probably only 242 or similar, so a little gentle heat should do the trick.