kokolino23

Help, please! customer rights regarding a recent BMW purchase

Hello,

My first BMW and not a good experience so far.

Purchased a 520d from a garage (paid £13.5k) back in Feb and paid a good part of it with a credit card and the rest with a debit card.

The car recently started to come up with a few faults:

1. Loses power and trembles every now and then. Drivetrain message comes up on the screen along with the message: "Continue the journey at a moderate speed. Full performance not available. Have the problem checked by Service"

2. Engine management light came on and didn't go for a few hours.

3. The display restarts every now and then, goes blank and then comes back up as it would when I start the car.

For problem no 1, if I pull over and stop the engine, then start it again, the fault goes away but only for a short period. Sometimes I had 2-3 times a day but recently even 6 times on a short journey.

The garage offered a 3 months warranty and will expire soon. I spoke to them and they've asked me to get the car to an independent garage for a diagnostic.

I did that, paid £81 from my own pocket obviously and they said it's something wrong with the EGR valve. I've been quoted £381 to have it changed.

For problem no2, there is a short cct between the speakers. nothing came up for issue no 3.

I've emailed the garage where I bought it from but had no response. Rang them up a few times but the manager is always busy, I've been promised a call back but didn't happen.

What should I do next ?! What kind of customer rights do I have? I feel like the garage are trying to delay it so the 3 months warranty are passing so they wouldn't hold any responsibility for it.

Thanks a lot

Call the credit card company, they will take the money and put it on hold, funnily enough this often means the managers no longer busy!

On 5/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Check your car isn't covered by the EGR Recall, sorry Quality Enhancement.  If it is BMW will fix without issue. Might take them a while though.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall?uniqueID=A2E74FD3E1ABDAE98025831500450532&freeText=Blank&tx

Hi Andrew,

I did check it but didn't come up for a recall.

Rang BMW and the EGR safety recall has been carried out on 03/04/2017 according to them. They've put me through to the local BMW garage and I was booked in for a diagnostic on the 23rd of May. However, when I spoke to the local garage, they said that something else was changed, NOT the EGR valve ?!

Anyway, I drove the car on Friday evening and the engine stopped after 2 min ?! I just couldn't drive it anymore !!!

I can start the engine but would stop by itself after a few seconds. I just can't believe my luck!!! 14k car and already into trouble, not good at all.

Such a shame with the BMW as I've always wanted one, I don't know what to say yet.

The car was collected for a repair, I'm not even sure how reliable are they though. I'll update the thread once I've got news from the garage.

If you can, send them an email as soon as possible listing all the issues and the discussions you have already had and what has been agreed. Ask how they will be progressing the matter. Attach scans of any paperwork you have from the diagnostics. Include the car registration, sorry if that sounds obvious. 

You at least then have have it on record that it was reported within the warranty period. 

Also make logs of all the times you have contacted them. 

I'd also speak to your credit card company so they too have it on record.

Good luck.

It's becoming more and more common for independent dealers to bundle a crappy warranty with every purchase, but you need to bear in mind that this has absolutely no bearing on your legal rights as a consumer. Any fault occurring this soon after purchase is the dealers responsibility to fix.

So, if you want to use the warranty, feel free, but just keep in mind that you're doing the dealer a favour by doing so. If the warranty company start to mess you around or claim items aren't covered (or want you to pay an excess), tell the dealer that under the consumer rights act they are obliged to fix or replace the car  free of charge (unless they can prove the fault wasn't there at the time of sale, which is vanishingly unlikely).

24 minutes ago, Spandex said:

It's becoming more and more common for independent dealers to bundle a crappy warranty with every purchase, but you need to bear in mind that this has absolutely no bearing on your legal rights as a consumer. Any fault occurring this soon after purchase is the dealers responsibility to fix.

So, if you want to use the warranty, feel free, but just keep in mind that you're doing the dealer a favour by doing so. If the warranty company start to mess you around or claim items aren't covered (or want you to pay an excess), tell the dealer that under the consumer rights act they are obliged to fix or replace the car  free of charge (unless they can prove the fault wasn't there at the time of sale, which is vanishingly unlikely).

Sorry to hijack a little but member @rgt1973 could do with reading this quote regarding his recent purchase (with warranty) and his tale of woes after driving away. Certainly sounds worth chasing.

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss

17 hours ago, Spandex said:

Yep, and those warranties carry very stringent codicils such as "Must be serviced at maufacturer advised intervals by a recognised franchise", "Only manufacturer supplied service/replacement parts may be used" etc. and they require documented evidence that these terms have been strictly adhered to or they use that as 'justifiable reason' not to cough up!

Dealer-supplied afetrmarket warranties are not worth the paper they are wrtten on, far better to get your own through the AA or wherever.

Whilst I agree, I think it's important that people understand that the dealer is liable if they sell you a duff car, whether you have a warranty or not.

There are various conditions attached to that - I'm not going to list them as the info is easy to find online, but basically, the earlier in your ownership that a fault arises, the harder it is for a dealer to claim it wasn't there at the time the car was sold (and it's not enough for them to just say "well the fault code wasn't there when we sold it")

I have some experience of this and unfortunately it's still possible for the dealer to be an arse about it. I once returned a car for a full refund after the brakes began failing intermittently within a few days of buying it - the dealer started out being reasonable, offering to try various fixes, but when I said I wasn't happy and wanted a refund they did everything they could to make it difficult. By this point they'd already sold my trade in, and they were trying to fiddle me on the amount we'd agreed it was worth, which would obviously affect the total refund figure. The woman who managed the company even claimed she couldn't confirm with the salesman because he'd left the company and couldn't be contacted - I pointed out she could probably just ask him over dinner that evening, given that he was her husband :lol:.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, pauliexjr said:

Dealer-supplied afetrmarket warranties are not worth the paper they are wrtten on, far better to get your own through the AA or wherever.

My circumstances exactly. I'm in the process of buying a '98 523i from an independent dealer who is AA approved & offering a free 24 month warranty.  My last BM purchase (E34 touring) several years ago was from a RAC approved dealer & the one claim I made under the warranty was honoured, though only the lion's share of the total invoice leaving me making up the difference in labour costs.