KitsonRis

Temperature Sensors and other coolant parts

I am getting the prices together to refresh my coolant system. Looking on RealOEMthere appears to be three temperature sensors.

Temperature Sensor, water 13621709967 - this one does bring up a number of oil tempertaure sensors on AutoDoc though.

Engine Coolant Sensor 12621710535

Temperature Sensor, water for vehicles with electronic engine-power regulation 12621288158

Its for a 1989 535i. Unfortunately the car is in the body shop (oh it is looking so sweet after going down to look at it the other day!) so I can't go and check. Is this right? And what is electronic engine-power regulation and how do I know if I have it?

Also would it be worth getting a new thermostat housing if I can get my hands on one at a decent price? The one on there looks like it is in good condition but if its off just replace it with new I have been doing with the rest of the car.

I wouldn't mind a set of sillicone hoses for a bit of engine bay bling for when the rocker cover gets some attention plus the rest giving a good clean. There were some available from Direnza but they do not have any in stock and will not be getting any more. Is there anywhere else that will do them?

Unless you've got a problem with your existing temp sensor, I wouldn't bother changing it, as it's not something that should be renewed anyway.

As for the thermostat housing, I believe the replacements are made out of some kind of reinforced plastic, while the originals are aluminium? Again, I wouldn't bother changing - just give it a good clean, when you are changing the thermostat and replace any gaskets/o-rings.

Re thermostat housings, I believe the Circoli ones from Euro car parts for the M50 engine are metal if you need to replace them due to corrosion 

Edited by stevenc3828

Didn’t know that about the sensor and shouldn’t be changed. Also don’t want a plastic housing! I was only going down the route of replacing everything on the car when doing jobs so it is all new and fresh - I’ve been working to the principle of if it needs to come off then a new bit is going back on. 

17 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

Didn’t know that about the sensor and shouldn’t be changed. Also don’t want a plastic housing! I was only going down the route of replacing everything on the car when doing jobs so it is all new and fresh - I’ve been working to the principle of if it needs to come off then a new bit is going back on. 

I'm starting to collect all the sensors air/water and crank etc as the engine need's these to work at the ideal settings ...

I believe that most ECU sensors past 130k have seen their best working life and should be changed really.

Which will be BMW or Bosch items as dealing with lesser manufacturers might lead to false running issues later on. 

Imo, I wouldn't bother to change anything you suggested. You have two sensors on the housing, the temp sensor (black) for the temp gauge and the coolant temp sensor (blue) for signal to Ecu.  

These type of sensors tend to either work or not. They rarely fail and are easily accessible if they were to become faulty. The specs are also easily checked using the ohm setting on any decent multimeter. You'll more likely find the wiring to a sensor is faulty or damaged rather than actual sensor failure.

All M30's carry a light alloy thermostat housing. There was never a plastic type housing available to my knowledge. I would expect this item to be fairly expensive new and realistically, is it really necessary to renew it? Only you can answer that one. 

I always suggest to resist the urge to fiddle with things unnecessarily. By all means tidy things up, but if it's running well, leave it alone and observe.

22 hours ago, FIVE-OH said:

I always suggest to resist the urge to fiddle with things unnecessarily. By all means tidy things up, but if it's running well, leave it alone and observe.

What about the water pump? Worth changing that as a precaution? Not seen any receipts in it’s file that it’s been done. Same with the fan clutch, aren’t these prone to failure? 

Does it overheat at all, or do you have concerns the WP is failing?  If not, why change it? 

M30 water pumps are imo very reliable and usually give plenty of warning when they become poorly. They are at first glance easy to renew, but if your unlucky it could turn into a bit of a nightmare. The pump is bolted to the boss on the block by a series of M6 bolts of varying lengths and the longer ones at the bottom have been know to shear making what should be a fairly straightforward task a real mission.  

If your paying for repair/renewal then perhaps it worth your while for what they cost. I personally tend to renew things when they need replacing. If it needs it then of course you should renew it but in my view (and it is only my view), unless it's an absolutely critical component, it stays put.

When up to temperature the needle is in the middle as normal but like towards the top end of the normal mark if that makes sense? Doesn’t move once warm though. 

I still haven’t found the cause of losing all of my coolant last year, or where it went!  Topped it up and it’s not lost any since so I am lost about that one. 

Yeah I would normally leave it until it needs but want to have it like new and for piece of mind really. 

I agree on not messing around with temp sensors, if they are working fine, but I wouldn't hesitate changing the water pump, unless you have something to prove that it was done recently.

Overhauling the cooling system without changing the water pump is not exactly overhauling, is it? If the pump is crazy money from BMW, then I can see that ECP do one made by Airtex, which is a pretty decent make. Or otherwise, check SparePartStore24, they've got INA (OEM brand) for like 23 pounds, so it's a no-brainer.

The water pump was going to be done as a minimum anyway, wasn't not going to do that. However I have just been going through the paper work and have found a receipt for it done back in 2013 at 100k miles, so it has been on the car 6 years and covered 23k miles. Does anyone know the service intervals on these for replacing them?

I'd definitely do the water pump. I've replaced mine twice in six and a half years. The last time there was no warning, and I found myself at a motorway service centre with water pissing out everywhere. I was lucky, the engine didn't get hot as I caught it in time, but the experience of having the car loaded onto a truck to be taken back home wasn't pleasant.

Edited by Tuvoc

On 18/05/2019 at 19:10, Blackman said:

A decent water pump should go at least 50k, so 23k is nothing, but for my own piece of mind, I would get it changed anyway, especially since a quality replacement doesn't cost a fortune.

Our old 540 needed a water pump a few years back and being as time was limited at the time our local indie fitted one ...

Which was claimed to be OE BMW :D

Well, its well know that Meyle (suspension is fine) water pumps for the V8's are a little weak and was aware of this ...

So around 1k miles later parked on the local super store we return to find a large pool of coolant under the engine Which resulted in 

the 540 being recovered to the indies workshop ... But not before taking a look a the water pump.

The result was the indie picked up the cost of the recovery and other assorted items The pump had also taken the radiator out as well.

The pump fitted had not been BMW at all but a Meyle item ...  Which backed some of the tales of 800 - 2000 fails concern their V8 pumps  :ph34r: