Sign in to follow this  
Father Jack

Collection advice

Morning all

I'm collecting my new G30 on Thursday, exciting times. I was just wondering whether anyone has any tips for collection/particular things I should look out for/test when I pick it up? The reason I ask is that when I picked up my current car there were a few snagging faults that I didn't actually realise were an issue until a few weeks/months into owning the car. Upon further investigation afterwards I discovered that these faults were known and some I could have dealt with on the collection day if I'd known before. Whilst I eventually got some (but not all) of them fixed, it took ages to do so (Audi service centre near me is rammed so getting appointments was challenging).

Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, Father Jack said:

Morning all

I'm collecting my new G30 on Thursday, exciting times. I was just wondering whether anyone has any tips for collection/particular things I should look out for/test when I pick it up? The reason I ask is that when I picked up my current car there were a few snagging faults that I didn't actually realise were an issue until a few weeks/months into owning the car. Upon further investigation afterwards I discovered that these faults were known and some I could have dealt with on the collection day if I'd known before. Whilst I eventually got some (but not all) of them fixed, it took ages to do so (Audi service centre near me is rammed so getting appointments was challenging).

Thanks in advance.

Approved used I take it? I’d check that all tyres are the same and decent tread. No major stone chips on hood. 

Also check for scratches around door handles (the get scratched a lot from nails especially if a woman was the previous owner) and any issues with the interior. 

Look out for chips in the windscreen and curb rash on alloys. 

16 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Approved used I take it? I’d check that all tyres are the same and decent tread. No major stone chips on hood. 

Also check for scratches around door handles (the get scratched a lot from nails especially if a woman was the previous owner) and any issues with the interior. 

Hood! When did you become American?

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Thanks for your reply. No - I'm actually getting it from new.

The types of issues I had on Audi were connectivity problems with MMI (wrong cables provided; phone Bluetooth not working properly from the start) a/c not working properly and an irritating rattle caused by loose bit of plastic! All of which should have been fine from day 1 but took some time to get sorted.

Hopefully I'll not encounter anything like this with the G30 but I thought I'd ask just in case people were aware of any new snagging items!

When I've picked up a new one, I give a similar once over to when picking up a used one.  Damage during transit is not uncommon.  Check it conforms to the spec you've ordered too.  The dealer should set you up in the car, show you how to connect your phone, how the essentials work, etc.

5 hours ago, Father Jack said:

Morning all

Thanks in advance.

To BMW's credit my experience has always been that they go over the top in walking you through and around your new car - if you are anything like me and my last experience after 45 mins you'll simply want to drive the thing and get going, that said whenever I have raised anything after collection the dealer has always dealt with it promptly and effectively. Most reputable brands do understand that you may spot something once you get over the initial 'excitement' so don't worry too much and enjoy the experience.....

8 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

Hood! When did you become American?

Ummm, no idea why I said hood tbh. I’d usually say bonnet. 

Its the cosmetic stuff that would be on my priority list - check it didn't get damaged in transit. Its hard to prove you didn't damage it yourself if you take it home and bring it back later.

Faults are not too much of an issue - they're covered under warranty. Whether you spot them on collection or a week later, you're in the same boat. Honestly, I wouldn't want to leave my brand new car at the dealer on collection day to fix a minor issue. I'm too impatient, I'd rather take it home and book it in for a week later. :D

Thanks for all the advice. Collection went really well - literally no damage and everything exactly as ordered. Fantastic car - I’ve posted a few images on the photos thread! 

I'm new to BMWs so this is my first post!

I'm picking up a new G30 next week, one of the things on my checklist is iDrive and map versions. What are the latest and/or is there a definitive source to check?

A tip for others based on something we missed when picking up someone else's 750Li a few years ago is working USB ports. We only noticed a few weeks later and the dealer claimed it had been physically damaged, suggesting someone had forced something in causing the damage so not covered under warranty. It was BS and I was convinced they'd damaged it whilst removing it/investigating but the owner couldn't be bothered to take it any further.

Thanks

@nrh1703

Newest BMW map is January 2019, please use forum search to find links where to ‘buy’ them, and instrucions on how to update them yourself... ;)

Please keep in mind that updating maps is quite a lenghty process (altogether takes around 2 hours, but some people report it taking up to 5+ hrs for some reason). 

As for your other question - there is no such a thing as ‘common checklist’ (apart from obvious things like checking undercarrige for damage, checking motor compartment for any leaks/cracks, checking car body for traces of previous accidents and such) - as you understand, there are thousands of possible options of what features your car may or may not have installed from factory, or added later by previous owner.

What I suggest you to do is to use any of freely available VIN number search tools available online and enter your car’s number there - it will give you the list of features that was installed on your car by factory. Print out that sheet out and use it as a checklist reference upon inspecting car once received. Check and mark all features one by one (comfort access, adaptive headlights, parking sensors, rear/side/front cameras, etc., etc.).

Edited by Zusurs

57 minutes ago, Zusurs said:

@nrh1703

Newest BMW map is January 2019, please use forum search to find links where to ‘buy’ them, and instrucions on how to update them yourself... ;)

Please keep in mind that updating maps is quite a lenghty process (altogether takes around 2 hours, but some people report it taking up to 5+ hrs for some reason). 

As for your other question - there is no such a thing as ‘common checklist’ (apart from obvious things like checking undercarrige for damage, checking motor compartment for any leaks/cracks, checking car body for traces of previous accidents and such) - as you understand, there are thousands of possible options of what features your car may or may not have installed from factory, or added later by previous owner.

What I suggest you to do is to use any of freely available VIN number search tools available online and enter your car’s number there - it will give you the list of features that was installed on your car by factory. Print out that sheet out and use it as a checklist reference upon inspecting car once received. Check and mark all features one by one (comfort access, adaptive headlights, parking sensors, rear/side/front cameras, etc., etc.).

Thats all very good but unlikely it will apply to a new car as above. Also with a g30 you do not “buy” maps anywhere. First 3 years updates are included and as there are no 3 year old G30’s yet, none would require a purchase