e34-535ise

Saloon towbar options..

Was given a Bosal detachable towbar couple of years back that was allegedly from a E39 saloon.

Decided to fit it today to my se saloon. Not gone very well...had to hack out quite a bit of the bumper. The towbar is straight rather than swan neck.

On top of all that I can't get the towbar to fit into the mounting!

Were the straight towbars fitted to the saloons and is there a cover to hide the great hole I now have?

Thanks

Westfalia provided the OE swan neck detachable towbars to BMW for the saloon. There's a piece of colour-coded clip on/off bumper trim (+fittings) listed on Realoem which covers the cut part of the bumper. On the bumper itself there are index marks (on the inside of the bumper) which are the cut lines which need to be followed to allow the exact fitting of the bumper trim that covers the cut area. When the swan neck of the tow bar is detached this colour-coded bit of trim covers the cut area really well.

IIRC you need to cut the bumper aperture differently if fitting the fixed tow bar. Not sure how you'd need to cut the bumper for a Bosal detachable tow bar.

Get yourself a BMW OE wiring kit. There's no cutting into the wiring loom, no dodgy Scotchlok connectors and no wierd electronic misbehaviour from any of the car's systems. It felt like rewiring the Hadron Collider when I did mine but there's a logical sequence of steps included with the OE wiring kit. (Instructions for mine had to be forwarded to me by Cotswold BMW as they'd been left out of the kit I bought.)

(I'll post a photo of the bumper cover piece later.)

Edited by DepthHoar

17 hours ago, e34-535ise said:

Was given a Bosal detachable towbar couple of years back that was allegedly from a E39 saloon.

Decided to fit it today to my se saloon. Not gone very well...had to hack out quite a bit of the bumper. The towbar is straight rather than swan neck.

On top of all that I can't get the towbar to fit into the mounting!

Were the straight towbars fitted to the saloons and is there a cover to hide the great hole I now have?

Thanks

Might be worth posting some pictures of the hitch Assembly It might be for an E34.  

21 hours ago, DepthHoar said:

P1020296.thumb.JPG.d4eff99f7c9d96b1e253a6573a5c18cc.JPG

(Above) Here you go.

Thanks, unfortunately the cut in my bumper is too large for that to cover it! Think I'm going to need a new bumper....

How much was the OE wiring kit?

I fitted a Tow Trust towbar to my 535i Sport and it only required a very small cut out on the bumper insert, in fact, the piece I cut out was so small I kept it and stuck it back in when I removed the tow bar. I fitted the same tow bar to my M5, that surely had to be one of the quickest tow cars on the road. :-D 

18 hours ago, NWJW said:

I fitted a Tow Trust towbar to my 535i Sport and it only required a very small cut out on the bumper insert, in fact, the piece I cut out was so small I kept it and stuck it back in when I removed the tow bar. I fitted the same tow bar to my M5, that surely had to be one of the quickest tow cars on the road. :-D 

I take it the M5 has been moved on? Don't suppose you kept the towbar? The one I've fitted has been a bit of a disaster...the quick release mechanism is not working so if I still want a towbar will need to source another one...and a new bumper! 

When I had my E39 (2004-2007), the aftermarket towbar from BMW as a Bosal one.

Looking at Realoem today, the parts listed now are clearly a Westfalia detachable one.

They must have changed supplier.  Westfalia is about the best aftermarket towbar you can buy. 

4 hours ago, e34-535ise said:

I take it the M5 has been moved on? Don't suppose you kept the towbar? The one I've fitted has been a bit of a disaster...the quick release mechanism is not working so if I still want a towbar will need to source another one...and a new bumper! 

Yep, the M5 and the towbar are long gone (sadly:sad:), I've got an SE rear bumper kicking about though that you're more than welcome to. 

1 hour ago, NWJW said:

Yep, the M5 and the towbar are long gone (sadly:sad:), I've got an SE rear bumper kicking about though that you're more than welcome to. 

Thanks, not in topaz blue by any chance?