d_a_n1979

ABS warning light on - no codes

The ABS light has come on this morning; just been to ECP to pick up some bits for the wife's car etc

No codes logged etc, scanned with Carly for BMW, no error codes (bar the one for the faulty heater valve in the engine bay etc); cleared anyways, but lights still on

Anyone any ideas re this? Could something have been disturbed yesterday when we fit the rear arms etc?

Cheers

Think I just saw this on faceache too.

Connect INPA, and do a live read of wheel speeds. If a sensor is down, it will show up there.

When I refreshed the rear suspension on mine, one of the sensors crapped out after a couple of days.

All sorted thanks :)

It was a cacked up rear left sensor; removed both left & right, cleaned them, reseated them, wheels back on, went for a drive, no lights ;)

Cheers

Had the Abs light along with handbrake and triangle come on today. (all Amber) car is driving fine. Light comes on after about 5 min. Sometimes stays on, sometimes comes and goes. Any ideas?

9 hours ago, Shelfside said:

Had the Abs light along with handbrake and triangle come on today. (all Amber) car is driving fine. Light comes on after about 5 min. Sometimes stays on, sometimes comes and goes. Any ideas?

Could be a similar issue to what I had

So, jack car up, wheels off, drop onto axle stands, remove ABS sensor, clean and refit, remove electrical connector and plug/unplug a few times (carefully) to clean the connectors, refit and repeat on all 4 corners (all sensors very accessible) and then wheels back on; torque bolts/nuts and take for a drive... 

Hopefully it’ll be as simple as that

However; could be wise to see if there are any codes stored :) There weren’t with mine, which led me to believe it was just dirt built up onto them

I'm sure @d_a_n1979 mentioned this job before in another thread and how simple it is. But, I had similar issues on my E39 and one of my sensors on the rear broke while trying to remove it. I assumed that one was the problem but alas it was one of the "good" ones. My advice is to be sure to use plenty of penetrating fluid prior to attempting removal. In fairness it was probably original and so was in there nigh on 20 years so I should have known better. The remainder that was left behind was a pig to remove without taking hub off the car. Couldn't get a drill in at it as wheel arch in the way, could barely get my head in to see what I was poking at. Took about 2 hours of swearing poking and gouging at it before clearing the hole. Moved on to the next wheel and found a chaffed cable after 10 seconds lol.

So be careful :)

Keliuss

After all the hype for Carly it doesn't say much that it failed to pick up the lack of a signal from a wheel sensor.

Got the codes read at my local indie. The results were brake light switch error and pressure line error. Had them replaced but it seems the ecu isn't playing ball so rather than paying out to get it tested, could I swap the ecu from my 728 e39?

On 12/06/2019 at 23:43, Shelfside said:

Got the codes read at my local indie. The results were brake light switch error and pressure line error. Had them replaced but it seems the ecu isn't playing ball so rather than paying out to get it tested, could I swap the ecu from my 728 e39?

If they are both ASC or DSC then you can swap the module for test purposes. If you want to do it permanently the module should be coded. If they are DSC then steering angle sensor will need to be initialised anyways.

On 12/06/2019 at 21:43, Shelfside said:

It’s easy to get caught up chasing after those codes but it probably is the the ecu, was with mine :

I don’t think that guy who rebuild mine for me is still trading though...

Sadly you are pretty lucky if the problem lies with a sensor. After many years of high under bonnet temperatures the wiring in the abs module breaks down and the only remedy is a repair or replacement. Unfortunately when this happens diagnostics sometimes shows up a sensor failure which can lead to time being spent before the  real source of the problem is found.