Loadmaster

Jeezzz, Look at The Size of These Kidneys!

20190427_094541_HDR-1.jpg.14a008569b4fd9c7406a4b35ca478c06.jpgI was in my local friendly Vines this morning and parked outside was this brand spanking new 7.

Is it just me or are those kidneys bordering on outrageously oversized??!! Bear in mind that the standard size number plate is 520mm wide and you can see how much width and height that they have. I reckon their total area would accommodate three to four sets of E39 kidneys!

WOW...! For me BMW have lost their way over the last few years. Too many variations of far too many models and after driving a good few, boring. That grille is just hideous and clearly shows the way forward for BMW.

Long live the classic BMW. ;)

C.

Like ester bloody rantzen!

Remenber looking at an f11 when mine was in for an airbag recall and thinking how big the grille was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Apparently they are 'active' gills...

Fixed :mrgreen: :lol: 

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Fixed :mrgreen: :lol: 

No, seriously! So I read... :D

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 07:16, pidgeonpost said:

Perhaps this styling is intended to appeal to the U.S. market where a bit of of bling seems popular. It certainly isn't the 'quietly understated' look we've seen on many previous models. 

Chinese market more like.  They love their big ass grilles.

Looks horrible IMO.

I kind of like them. It's a grower. I was unsure when I first saw it but I don't mind looking at one now. BMW gave the 7er more road presence with this facelift which is what it lacked compared to the S Class. The 7ers between the E38 and the latest model have either been ugly (E65) or bland (F01), and never really showed their technology on the exterior design. The facelift of the current 7er looks futuristic and aggressive, just like it's technology. However, I think the pre-facelift looked better, especially with the grille size. Saying that though, the Merc S class, Audi A8, and Lexus LS all have large grilles and in some cases, larger than the BMW ones (see pics below).

Merc S-Class: Looks outdated now. Is it a C, E, or S class? Also, kind of looks like a Ford Scorpio

10702.jpg

Audi A8: Humongous grille, but compliments the front of the car 

Audi-A6-2019.jpg

Lexus LS - Art style grille, not bad looking. However, doesn't look as sleek as it's European rivals

Lexus-LS-gallery-obsidian-1204x677-LEX-L

Comparing the above images, I can see where BMW went "wrong". The top of the grille does not line up with the headlamps unlike the pre-facelift. The headlamps of the facelift start nearly halfway down the grille. 

I know what you mean about some designs growing on you. I thought the F-series grill a bit 'in yer face' initially but am used to them now. Perhaps it's the style rather than the size of this grill that makes it seem OTT to me. The Merc and Audi grills look OK to me, the Lexus less so. 

Unfortunately its just the family genetics, a bit like the Royal Family.  I spotted a F45 today with the same sorts of grills that kick backwards at the top almost on to the bonnet lines.

I first remember noticing it years ago on the first F07 I saw, it has a similar sort of large grill/nostrils.

But we will all be driving them in years to come......

On 27/04/2019 at 20:15, cableguy said:

WOW...! For me BMW have lost their way over the last few years. Too many variations of far too many models and after driving a good few, boring. That grille is just hideous and clearly shows the way forward for BMW.

Long live the classic BMW. ;)

C.

Yeah its the go big or go home mentality. No substance.  

46 minutes ago, Mr_530i said:

Yeah its the go big or go home mentality. No substance.  

Lol, that will be to hide the fact that you now get a teeny weeny 4 pot 2.0d under the bonnet of a 7 Series now when what you really want is a twin turbo, all snorting, all bellowing 6.6 litre V12 under there!