avtovaz

these chinese radios on ebay

12 hours ago, Busterbvi said:

The DAB antenna was installed as per the manufacturer's instructions. The general rule with antennas is the higher, the better.

When mine finally turns up it will be interesting to see what the instructions say in that. I’d agree that on the whole higher is usually better. 

But James (I think he was called) the technical guy from ATD said you usually get a UV strip across the top of windscreens & if any if the stick on antenna part is behind that it will badly affects the reception. I know our 530i has a very subtle green strip across the top, but to be fair I can’t see any sign of one in your picture, although sometimes you can only make them out with a white cloudy sky as the back ground. 

That may be the only reason for mounting it part way up, there could be others, but every how to video on YouTube I could find shows them being mounted about halfway up the screen too, for what ever that is worth! 

There is no UV sunstrip across the top of my screen. As long as the wire core of the antenna is clear of any obstruction then a few inches further down is not going to make any difference.

It is important to make sure the copper foil is properly grounded to the car which may require a bit of sanding to expose bare metal where the foil is stuck.

4 hours ago, Busterbvi said:

There is no UV sunstrip across the top of my screen. As long as the wire core of the antenna is clear of any obstruction then a few inches further down is not going to make any difference.

It is important to make sure the copper foil is properly grounded to the car which may require a bit of sanding to expose bare metal where the foil is stuck.

Ah, probably just DAB being rubbish then! Or at least the screen aerials anyway. Mine should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can find out myself. As I said it will be interesting to see how it compares to factory fitted DAB, that wasn’t great. 

I was watching a few of those YouTube installation videos & some of those said the instructions on their kits said to mount the ground to a clean painted part of the car, seemed rather odd...