avtovaz

these chinese radios on ebay

has anyone fitted one of these Chinese radios? There is a few about for around the £200 mark. The radio int eh car works ok, but id like tobe able to connect my phone to the car so i can call hands free, also, be able to play music from my phone too.

Im looking and also wondering if the sat nav updates ?

just has anyone bought one before i buy one and waste £200...

Hi,

Plenty of people have purchased them. Every BMW forum has many threads where purchasers have posted up their experience with them. Some get good, longer term fully working units and many/most others have issues/problems/niggles. It's a gamble really so comes down to how 'lucky' you are feeling. 

Have a look around on this forum and other UK/USA ones and any others which are centric to another country/language if are from there etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

On 25/04/2019 at 20:35, avtovaz said:

has anyone fitted one of these Chinese radios? There is a few about for around the £200 mark. The radio int eh car works ok, but id like tobe able to connect my phone to the car so i can call hands free, also, be able to play music from my phone too.

Im looking and also wondering if the sat nav updates ?

just has anyone bought one before i buy one and waste £200...

Plenty of info if you use the search function; look in the audio section too, there are a few related threads

IMO; they look good on paper and the website (Eonon & Xtrons) etc, personally I'm not touching them as there are as many poor reviews of them failing and with no leg to stand on, as there are good reviews etc

I'm going to go down the mechless Kenwood or Alpine double din route, but simple as not interested in nav or DAB; just want decent Bluetooth music playback, radio and hands-free etc

See latest post

thought id ask ebfore buying as reliability was my main concern. The radio in the car now is ok,, but want to be able to listen to other music on it, and also use the phone threw it, maybe just buy a hand free kit for it and do it that way. thanks for the replies

On 25/04/2019 at 21:36, avtovaz said:

thought id ask ebfore buying as reliability was my main concern. The radio in the car now is ok,, but want to be able to listen to other music on it, and also use the phone threw it, maybe just buy a hand free kit for it and do it that way. thanks for the replies

I have got one, I forget the exact make now but it looks like a factory unit. It was kind of ok, but the radio never worked properly, I don’t know if all have it but our E39 had two aerials the original stereo could switch between, it was very good never really losing signal. I spent ages trying to get it working with boxes from 3 series that didn’t switch but it’s always been rubbish. It did used to play MP3s ok but its now about 5 years old & the only thing really works is the aux input. The DVD player did work very well & the kids are upset that has packed in! The NAV I think still works but we never use it as the ones on phones are much better now. 

The main problem we are having now is the iPhone is very good at playing music & being a sat nav, but it needs power to run the NAV app & you get interference with the amount of power it uses, unplug the power & the music is perfect (from the aux in) 

Its should have Bluetooth phone & music streaming, I did get the phone working once but the sound quality was appalling, the audio has never worked. 

I’m looking for a replacement now, but really want to keep the reversing camera I put in so going back to the standard unit isn’t really going to work. 

I also need line out with separate sub control...

Edit: I forgot to add I had to pay import duty on the dam thing too so it ended up costing a lot!

Edited by Andyrt200
Shown

On 25/04/2019 at 21:09, d_a_n1979 said:

I'm going to go down the mechless Kenwood or Alpine double din route, but simple as not interested in nav or DAB; just want decent Bluetooth music playback, radio and hands-free etc

Which are you going for? 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Which are you going for? 

Don't k ow yet sorry; haven't paid too much attention to it as prioritised the other bits first 

39 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Don't k ow yet sorry; haven't paid too much attention to it as prioritised the other bits first 

Very sensible! 

On 25/04/2019 at 21:36, avtovaz said:

thought id ask ebfore buying as reliability was my main concern. 

This being your main concern, then it's a head unit from the established high quality brands is what you'd be best considering. 

Andyrt200 - At least your unit had some years use ! many others have their units lifespan of just months before things become unusable or error prone etc. That said, a handful have fully working units for a number of years - it's all a gamble really! There are various options you could go for from what you've said, take a look at the Kenwood DMX-110BT for instance, about £145 from a few Ebay sellers who also have bricks and mortar shops in the UK, it has a Reverse camera AV input and subwoofer RCA preouts (I'll assume with level control in the user interface - I've not physically used one as yet)

Dan 1979 - Perhaps the same head unit for you ? BT hands free phone and Audio Streaming profiles built in.

Cheers, Dennis!

2 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

At least your unit had some years use ! many others have their units lifespan of just months before things become unusable or error prone etc. That said, a handful have fully working units for a number of years - it's all a gamble really!

To be fair the Chinese sellers were very helpful for a long time, they were keen to get error logs back from me to help develop the next model. It did become unusable very quickly but I managed to fix that with there help early on with updates. It was only later when it completely gave up

(when we were in the middle of France leaving us rather stuck with no sat nav) they couldn’t help as they were then on to the next model by then. A while after we got home after leaving the battery disconnected for some time to try to fix some other issue it suddenly came back to life & was kind of ok for a good few years after. 

I noticed you linked a UK seller of the newer model of these type of head units in a different thread. I’ll check them out along with that Kenwood, thanks! 

On 14/05/2019 at 20:08, Busterbvi said:

I have a Eonon unit in my wifes Focus and a Erisin in my E39, they are superb, no reliability problems, plug & play, looks OE, even has the option of the BMW or ///M logo as the start up screen, diagnosed a cold morning misfire with the Torque App, fault code told me

No 1 plug coil was going to ground, shoved a new one in, no problem since.  Dont be put off by any negativity on here, I know of loads of friends in the local motor club have then, no problems at all and they just keep getting better. Fabulous Sat Nav and Bluetooth,

CD, TV and Google Browser all included.

I highly recommend AudioTech Direct in N. Wales, their customer service is most excellent. I created a problem on my BMW unit due to my own stupidity, I admitted it and they still replaced it free of charge.  If either of my units went bang, I would simply replace it

immediately and not lose a seconds sleep about it. You will enjoy a huge improvement in Audio quality on OEM speakers, I  upgraded JBL's, nothing fancy but the sound is now excellent.  Highly recommend Erisin, Eonon etc and ATD. Have a look at the Android threads on here,

you will see my set up, I have since fitted a windscreen DAB antenna so I know enjoy the quality sound of DAB radio.  Check out ATD here.

https://audiotechdirect.com/oem-style-units/bmw/

Edited by Busterbvi

2 hours ago, Busterbvi said:

I highly recommend AudioTech Direct in N. Wales, their customer service is most excellent.

Yes thanks, I spotted the other thread you posted that on originally. They are indeed very helpful & happen to be about 5 miles from me too, so I know where to go if I have any problems! I have an android unit on order from them already, I’ll update the android thread with the details when it arrives :)

Just to update this thread a bit more... I’m going to go down the Xtrons or Eonon route after weighing my thoughts and what I want to spend; they’re more of a plug n play head unit and that’s what appeals to me. I can’t be arsed forking out silly money for a head unit and other bits simply as it’ll get used for some radio and Bluetooth music play back on the way to training & back and then on the few occasions we do longer distances etc...

For c£200 and it’s plugs in and works, that appeals to me. Spending that on a head unit that doesn’t fit without adapter fasciae and cables etc and then having to add more for it to sing & dance, doesn’t appeal to me... I’d rather spend that money on maintaining the car and getting it to as near perfect OEM as I can 

I’m not rushing into this, I’ve other stuff to do yet, but will update when I do move on this 

On 14/05/2019 at 20:15, Busterbvi said:

Highly recommend Eonon and ATD. Have a look at the Android threads on here,

you will see my set up, I have since fitted a windscreen DAB antenna so I know enjoy the quality sound of DAB radio.  Check out ATD here.

https://audiotechdirect.com/oem-style-units/bmw/

I was talking to the technical guy at ATD & he said it’s not Eonon they sell, its their own specially designed system. I was telling him about the problems I had with my old Eonon D5124FE he was polite enough not to bad mouth those but said it was actually probably Apple doing update to the iPhones that killed my old system. It was after trying to use it to control an old iPhone again that it really gave up. 

@d_a_n1979 if you just want a  reasonable factory looking system their £200 options should be very good, if the FM reception has any issues it still has the option of the DAB add on. The specs are much better than my old unit & that wasn’t too bad most of the time. I just went for the top Android this time as you can fit Apple car play to that, as that is Apples own system it should work much better for new iPhone’s!

Thanks @Andyrt200

I'll research more when I'm home and keep those thread going. DAB isn't a no no for me, but not overly fussed re nav due to having it on my phone already and prefer it at windscreen height rather than down in the dash, if that makes sense? 

All these Xtrons,  Eonon, Erisin etc all come out of the same factory in China and are rebranded. ATD use the excellent Erisin unit custom built to their own specifications.

Easy to spot the brand, after installing a new unit, the start screen defaults to the Brand logo, mine is a Erisin unit. You can then change the start screen to the logo of your choice.

The only grumble I have with them is the FM reception can be poor. I solved this by fitting a £7 in line signal amplifier, problem sorted. ATD and Amazon supply these. The DAB app is

pre installed. I fitted a stick on screen antenna with disappointing results, signal drop out is terrible, a recent trip from Cardiff to Leicester, the dropout was such a nuisance I gave up

and switched to FM. Researching this on dabonwheels website, it seems to be the norm with screen antennas. Their recommendation for perfect reception is the stubby roof mount

type. I am reluctant to drill the roof to fit one of these and I am not sure if it will suit the car.  The FM reception may well be fine in your area.

Dan, I'm with you on the screen level thing for the Nav, my previous Nav was screen mount and easy to follow at a glance. However, I have got used to the dash mount and I like the

Nav voice instruction coming through the cars speakers loud & clear, if you are listening to music it interrupts. A bit of a faf to get all the sound volumes in synch for the radio, CD and

Bluetooth.

Look here for DAB antenna info and review.

https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/star-rating/

Installation tips.

1/ The GPS antenna is very powerful and can be hidden under the dash. I used a bit of double sided tape to stick mine on top of the fog light switch housing, very convenient flat area 

and easy to reach behind the switch.

2/ The 2 side mounting brackets can be fiddly to fit. I didn't bother with them, the unit is a perfect snug fit into the dash and you can set it flush or recessed a bit, it stays there and

doesn't move at all.

3/ The microphone can be routed to fit discreetly on the top left of the steering wheel shroud. The unit fully integrates with the cars Canbus system and all your  steering wheel

buttons will work, no setting up required. Once paired on Bluetooth, if your phone rings in your pocket while driving, just press the voice button to answer.

4/  Connect the USB cable supplied into the unit before you fit it in the dash and run the cable to the glovebox area, makes life a lot easier if you want to connect a USB device at anytime.

5/ Screen / sun glare can be an issue when using the Nav, I solved this by using a 8 inch Android Tablet ant-glare film cut down to size, a bit of a fiddle to get it looking dust free and

nice but after 3 attempts mine looks good !

6/ Buy yourself an OBD2.  ELM327. V2.1 Bluetooth adapter, about £5 on ebay, this plugs in the dash OBD port on the lower right of the steering column. Pair it to the head unit and you 

can then use the pre installed Torque App to scan your cars electronic management systems for fault codes.  Came in handy for me when the cold damp winter kicked in last year 

I had a misfire on early morning start up which sometimes triggered the Check Engine light. Did a scan and found a fault code that told me the number one ignition coil was going 

to ground, fitted a new Bosch coil, cleared the fault code, job done, been running sweet ever since.

7/ Fit an in line signal amplifier to the aerial cable when installing for good FM reception countrywide. 

I can't speak highly enough of these Erisin units, they are fantastic and just keep getting better, any reliability issues they might have suffered when they first appeared in the UK have

been well sorted, I am aware of loads of them and not heard of any problems. As stated, the customer service at ATD is superb. At under £300 for these units, you can't go wrong, highly

recommended.

This is the unit I have. Have a read through the features and techy stuff incase your car has DSP.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm3839b-android-8-1-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Cheers.

Edited by Busterbvi

On 17/05/2019 at 18:09, Busterbvi said:

The DAB app is

pre installed. I fitted a stick on screen antenna with disappointing results, signal drop out is terrible, a recent trip from Cardiff to Leicester, the dropout was such a nuisance I gave up

and switched to FM.

I was wondering about that, should have asked you before ordering the stick on aerial!

I’m still waiting for my order seems it is a special from Germany, rather annoying, but I did have an interesting long chat with the ATD tech guy today. I asked about the DAB, he said it should work fine but it’s critical you get the placement of the aerial element right it must be in a unobstructed part of the front screen, about 1/3 of the way up the passenger side, with the pig tail pointing up. He said a lot of people try to hide them at the top & the tinted strip stops them working properly. However he also said the DAB signal isn’t all that good, you will lose it in some areas - he’s right thinking about it. We have had a few new cars with DAB factory fitted & you do have to switch back to FM a lot in those. I’d forgotten because the last two we had automatically switched back to FM so you hardly notice, but the 2012 F13 640d didn’t & it was a right pain in that always having to switch back manually to FM. It will be interesting to see how this compares to that. 

I spent a long time trying to get FM to work with my old unit, but never really got to to work properly. Hopefully the tuner in the new head unit should be better, he said it would be. I mentioned the twin aerials our touring had in an earlier post above, one in the side rear NS window & the other in the rear screen. He reminded me the system is called Diversity, apparently it’s used on a lot of German cars. All I knew about it was what was written in WDS, that tells you the system automatically switches between the two aerials depending which has the best signal, but it seems to say the OE head unit controlled the system. However he told me actually all it did was send a power signal to turn the unit on, however you can’t just power up the system manually as it actually also massively amplifies the signal (up to 12v) & no after market head unit can cope with such a high voltage. They do apparently sell  diversity receiver unit that can “decode” the signal so you can get the same reception as the factory system. He suggested I just tried the new unit as it was to start with, but that is an option if it’s not great. 

When I first fitted my last unit I found I had no radio signal at all, after a lot if messing about with EWS I finally found the OE aerial amplifier for the rear screen was totally corroded out inside. If you open just the glass on the touring it’s hidden in hereTvocbY2.jpg

(The little white box in the middle of the picture) after fitting a new one it was kind if ok but still had an amount of interference. The odd thing was that the FM reception had been fine with the old OE head unit even with the rear screen amp being totally shot, so it must have been running from the side window aerial. But the output from that aerial goes directly into the diversity unit in the D pillar & I couldn’t make the diversity unit switch to that aerial. So I fitted an aerial amp from a 3 series directly to the output from the rear screen as it has the correct connections but didn’t have diversity, that kind of worked. It did actually get quite a bit better after addressing the tourings achilles heel of snapped wires in the hinges. I guess arcing of the broken wires was interfering with the signal. However I recently had to replace the gas struts for the rear screen & it’s back to being rubbish again! 

I thought I just try the old diversity unit again today & it got a slightly better signal, so I disconnected the rear screen amp (so took that picture above) to check it again but found it made no difference to the signal at all this time, so the diversity system must have managed to switch to the side screen when I reconnect it is all I can think.  

Just looking for things to do really, fiddling about waiting for the new head unit to turn up! 

I think you will find that FM will be OK on the new unit with the cars standard FM aerial, for perfect reception you will need the in line signal booster. 

Regarding DAB aerial placement, here is a pic of mine installed correctly, reception is shite, tempted to go for the roof option.

20190521_203402.thumb.jpg.9071a8d0e9584149a80324877847bfda.jpg 

Edited by Busterbvi

I have the Erisin Octa-core. Agree, FM reception is poor especially with 'weak' radio stations and there's no LW. You have to make sure the GPS antenna is far away from the FM aerial to avoid interference.

2 hours ago, Busterbvi said:

here is a pic of mine installed correctly

In your pic it looks very much like you have your DAB aerial mounted right at the top of your

front screen? That is exactly where the tech guy from ATD said you must not mount them. I’m no expert at all & only repeating what he said but he seems to know his stuff & the products he sells, he said if you think of the top of the screen being 100% & the bottom 0% you should mount the aerial at 40%. 

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

You have to make sure the GPS antenna is far away from the FM aerial to avoid interference.

Thats a good point I can’t remember were I mounted that for my old unit, the Nav was actually the only thing that worked all the time on my old unit. It did take you on some very dubious ways home though, so we switched to waze a long time ago. The most annoying feature of it was you couldn’t adjust the volume of the music when you had the navigation screen on & the dam thing would often lock up & not let you switch back to the music screen to adjust the volume (mainly when playing music from an iPhone). My other half got stopped by the boys in blue once & we had fun trying to tell him sorry but we can’t turn the music down! 

I’m really hoping the new unit is going to be a marked improvement...

Edited by Andyrt200
Grammar

On 21/05/2019 at 23:31, Andyrt200 said:

In your pic it looks very much like you have your DAB aerial mounted right at the top of your

front screen? That is exactly where the tech guy from ATD said you must not mount them. I’m no expert at all & only repeating what he said but he seems to know his stuff & the products he sells, he said if you think of the top of the screen being 100% & the bottom 0% you should mount the aerial at 40%. 

Thats a good point I can’t remember were I mounted that for my old unit, the Nav was actually the only thing that worked all the time on my old unit. It did take you on some very dubious ways home though, so we switched to waze a long time ago. The most annoying feature of it was you couldn’t adjust the volume of the music when you had the navigation screen on & the dam thing would often lock up & not let you switch back to the music screen to adjust the volume (mainly when playing music from an iPhone). My other half got stopped by the boys in blue once & we had fun trying to tell him sorry but we can’t turn the music down! 

I’m really hoping the new unit is going to be a marked improvement...

The DAB antenna was installed as per the manufacturer's instructions. The general rule with antennas is the higher, the better.