Hal9000

Comfort access - boot closing automatically

I have comfort access in my G31. When I take the dog for a walk, I sit in the boot to put my walking boots on. After a minute (or so) the boot beeps at me to warn it's about to close and then, of course, it starts to close, even though I'm still sat there! I cannot find a way of turning this automatic closing aspect off - is it possible?

When you put your boots on are your feet hanging out over the back of the car? If so, this surely has got to be you triggering the boot closure by waving your feet near or under the rear of the car as there is a sensor there to do just that?

Edited by nashdm2

6 hours ago, Hal9000 said:

I have comfort access in my G31. When I take the dog for a walk, I sit in the boot to put my walking boots on. After a minute (or so) the boot beeps at me to warn it's about to close and then, of course, it starts to close, even though I'm still sat there! I cannot find a way of turning this automatic closing aspect off - is it possible?

I know exactly what you mean. I used to sit in the boot to change my golfing shoes in my previous cars but this one likes to try to grab me ;) . What’s happening of course is that you’re waving a foot around in the bumper area which is one way of opening/shutting the boot. It’s a bit of a weak point that there’s no sensor there to prevent it hitting an obstruction (your head).

Don’t know anything about coding it out. What I do is to leave my key in my caddy car pocket far enough away that it’s inoperative. I think the caddy car screens it a bit too. I do a quick test before sitting down. :D

<edit> I see that @nashdm2 has the same diagnosis </edit>

Edited by Boba

I must admit that I thought I'd ruled out my foot getting too near and triggering it. It would be ironic if that was the case because you have to waft your foot well under to open the ruddy thing, not just get near it!

37 minutes ago, Hal9000 said:

I must admit that I thought I'd ruled out my foot getting too near and triggering it. It would be ironic if that was the case because you have to waft your foot well under to open the ruddy thing, not just get near it!

Must say that I don't find that - just raising my foot more or less under the nearest bit of the centre of the bumper is enough to operate it reliably.  Actually I used to set it going just by brushing past the back of the car on my way to the bin before I realised and left a bit more room between it and the garage doors. Probably some variation between cars though. You’ll likely find that your heel tucks under a bit as you take your shoe off - mine does anyway.

Edited by Boba

8 minutes ago, Boba said:

Must say that I don't find that - just raising my foot more or less under the nearest bit of the centre of the bumper is enough to operate it reliably.  Actually I used to set it going just by brushing past the back of the car on my way to the bin before I realised and left a bit more room between it and the garage doors. Probably some variation between cars though. You’ll likely find that your heel tucks under a bit as you take your shoe off - mine does anyway.

+1. While washing the car I often trigger the boot opener by walking very close to the bumper.  

I've just tested it. I cannot open / close the boot by walking near the boot or brushing past it. It does open when I put only a small part of my foot past the bumper but it does HAVE to be under it and not near it, it's just not as far under as I'd previously thought. Therefore, I must have been activating the close when I was sitting there and moving my feet around.

I'd have preferred a sensor, as Boba mentioned above, because it doesn't stop once it starts coming down and whacks me on the head - or it used to before I got wise to it.

I suppose I need to be more circumspect with my ruddy great plates of meat when sitting there.

Thanks for the feedback anyway....

Edited by Hal9000

If that is the case then, try opening the tailgate and then walking away. If it then closes when you are not there, then our diagnosis is wrong, even though I am sure that is your issue.

Another possibility if you have your key in your trouser pocket is pressing a button on it when you bend down. Done that too often enough.

Still think it’s your foot operating it though.

Edited by Boba

10 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

If that is the case then, try opening the tailgate and then walking away. If it then closes when you are not there, then our diagnosis is wrong, even though I am sure that is your issue.

No, I sat in the boot for 2 mins without moving and it stayed open, so I can't have ingressed the trigger point as before. I think this one's done :)