Blackman

E34 Brake Pedal Spring Noise

I've got a bit of strange issue with the brake pedal on my E34 and I can't seem to figure out what is the problem.

So the brakes work absolutely fine, the brake pedal is firm and the car stops well, but what I noticed is that sometimes when I'm coming to a stop at very slow speeds, I get this random spring release noise from the brake pedal.

It can't be replicated by simply pressing the pedal, because it only occasionally happens when you are coming to a stop or when you brake sharply, but only at slow speeds - say for example, when you want to do a quick U-turn?

I'm guessing something to do with ABS, but what exactly? It doesn't really bother me nor it affects the drive, but if it's something simple, then I'll get it sorted.

Thanks

Had the same issue with my old XR 4x4 Sierra and was told this was perfectly normal?! 

Not experienced it with any BMW's but maybe a brake fluid fluid flush may help?! 

Not sure though as it's not something that I've experienced very often in recent years

Maybe abs module is playing up?!

Sorry can't be more helpful but it's not something I've come across all that often but know what you're experiencing if that makes sense.

Maybe someone more qualified than I will be able to chime in with more relevant info 

Edited by boiliebasher

We changed the brake fluid last summer, so it's all good there.

As for the bushes/springs on the pedals, it won't be that, because otherwise the noise would be there every time I stepped on the pedal, but it's only there under certain conditions, i.e. like I described above.

I doubt it's normal, it's basically a noise of a spring releasing after tension and looking at when it happens, I'm thinking it's something to do with the ABS. Possibly a sensor playing up, not reading correctly from the rings on the wheel bearings? No fault codes present, no lights on the dash.

Is the ABS module common to fail on E34s? What would be the symptoms?

The ABS module would bring the warning  light on the dash  more or less from start up ... a sensor fault is normally lighted up on the dash once moving ....

We have a faulty sensor and that only activates the dash light once moving forward ... 

Edited by Carl-e34

You can see the reason why I've never bothered with it, because it's not exactly the most straightforward thing to figure out...Doesn't seem to affect anything, just a bit annoying.

Old thread bump, but I've found a video that exactly describes my problem, although it's on an E39?

See this video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqAZpfe7ZsY

Is this common on E34s? I haven't changed my rear wheel bearings yet, but the front ones are new, so would that be the solution?

Edited by Blackman

Seems like this problem is not so common, as I have thought? No other E34 with this issue or someone who experienced it in the past? Was hoping to get to the bottom of this...

9 hours ago, stevenc3828 said:

It’s not the brake pedal switch is it? 

Would it trigger the ABS and give the above symptoms, as I described above?

As far as I know, the problems normally caused by a faulty brake light switch are brake lights not working or always staying on?