CS10

Drivechain - Drive Moderately

You are getting there so that's a start. 

Most BMW workshops/showrooms are franchises. 

They are an independent company that just so happens to service/sell BMWs. 

My local dealer is fine. The reception staff are sound and they will let you speak to the workshop Forman and even the tech if you ask nicely.

The dealers get a hard time because they are perceived to be expensive. You don't buy a BMW then try and service/maintain it on a shoe string budget. 

Yes there are horror stories (some on here) but you never hear about the ones that go normally. 

You are getting there so that's a start. 

Most BMW workshops/showrooms are franchises. 

They are an independent company that just so happens to service/sell BMWs. 

My local dealer is fine. The reception staff are sound and they will let you speak to the workshop Forman and even the tech if you ask nicely.

The dealers get a hard time because they are perceived to be expensive. You don't buy a BMW then try and service/maintain it on a shoe string budget. 

Yes there are horror stories (some on here) but you never hear about the ones that go normally. 
Yeah I hear you. Of course I have never expected, nor would I want to service my BMW on a shoestring budget, I guess they can't all be bad.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just now, Spreadly said:

I have never expected, nor would I want to service my BMW on a shoestring budget, 

Sadly there are some. When you can get a new 5 er for a few hundred quid a month on the never never, a big service is more than a months payment, folk moan about the costs. 

Sadly there are some. When you can get a new 5 er for a few hundred quid a month on the never never, a big service is more than a months payment, folk moan about the costs. 
Yeah, I've known a few of those. You cannot get a premium car and expect to run it like a Vauxhall.

3 hours ago, Spreadly said:

Personally, no. I have only ever taken my car to BMW once and that was for a service. I had a service pack from the previous owner so saved around £500 on a major service. I have read some shocking reviews on BMW service centres in London and that is what puts me off. Also, the fact that in London there are only 2 BMW service centres that are actually owned by BMW, the rest are franchises. I also know mechanics who have worked for BMW and some of the stories they have told me about what goes on doesn't leave me which much confidence.

I really don't agree with BMW's franchise model and I'm sure they're not the only ones who use that model, but I think every service centre should be BMW direct. We do spend a lot on their cars afterall.

Lastly, it's the cost of taking your car to BMW, as opposed to a good independent.

The only BMW owned dealership in the U.K. is Parklane in London. 

What difference does it make whether franchised or not? Many car dealers are franchises. 

Remember that people quite often only do reviews when there is something negative to say. But one chooses to either follow the reviews or go and find out for yourself. I’ve been going to Cooper’s in Tunbridge Wells for over 8 years (franchise) and only ever had great service. Sure BMW, like any other manufacturer dealer is more expensive than an Indi but that’s not a reason to be mistrustful. There are many negative reviews about Indis too if you go looking for them. 

The only BMW owned dealership in the U.K. is Parklane in London. 

What difference does it make whether franchised or not? Many car dealers are franchises. 

Remember that people quite often only do reviews when there is something negative to say. But one chooses to either follow the reviews or go and find out for yourself. I’ve been going to Cooper’s in Tunbridge Wells for over 8 years (franchise) and only ever had great service. Sure BMW, like any other manufacturer dealer is more expensive than an Indi but that’s not a reason to be mistrustful. There are many negative reviews about Indis too if you go looking for them. 

Again, i hear you and no doubt I am being overly paranoid about main dealers, but as said, I know 'technicians' that have worked for BMW, and trust me, after speaking with them you'd be as cautious as I am.  

Of course, the same can happen with an indy, but the indy I take my car to is a family run business that's been running for over 60 yrs and been passed down from father to son etc. It's got great reviews and they are very honest with me when it comes to prices.

As for the only BMW dealership, yes you're right it's Park Lane, but they don't carry out servicing there. For servicing they own the Stewarts Rd in Battersea and the service centre in Acton, they just call them Park Lane. Those are the only two service centres owned by BMW.

1 hour ago, Spreadly said:

I know 'technicians' that have worked for BMW, and trust me, after speaking with them you'd be as cautious as I am.  

Without any actual evidence I choose not to trust "technician's" conjecture and prefer to make up my own mind, which has served me very well over the past, well, many years. And, like I said, for the past 8 years my cars have either gone to BMW or I've repaired bits and bobs myself and have never had any issues.

I tend to take people who bad-mouth their previous employers with a pinch of salt. Maybe somewhere out there someone is bad-mouthing them in turn. Free advice is worth what it costs you. Personally speaking I’ve had the best of service from my local BMW franchise.

In the end the quality of the work is down to the man (or woman) holding the spanner. It also helps if you can build a relationship, but that can take time.

When I first bought the car I joined this forum and, after learning of thermostat failures, checked them myself. They weren't getting above the high 60's so because I had a 3rd party warranty I contacted them in the hope they would cover the cost of replacing them. They said they would provided I got the diagnosis confirmed by a dealer or garage. The dealer had the car for a morning and said the stats were fine. They had left it ticking over for an hour or so and reckoned it was hitting the correct temperature. To me that's not the same conditions as normal road use but they were adamant. So, no confirmation = no warranty claim = I paid for replacements. That first experience kinda put me off and I use an indi for servicing. 

I have to say dealers are under alot of pressure at the moment due to this recall, the amount of cars affected it is just impossible to turn everyone around as quick as the customers want. Also when BMW can't make the parts quick enough and customers have to wait weeks for their car it's the dealer that gets the pounding not BMW. As for the warning, I suspect a dodgy EGR valve as they tend to have a fit when they are on their way out and they are removed and installed

As I said, all but 1 in the UK are franchises.   

Yes Park Lane, but they own two branches, which are Stewarts Rd, Battersea (Park Lane) and the one in Park Royal, West London. (Park Lane) This was confirmed to me when I booked my car in.  

The one that is actually on Park Lane is only sales.

This happened to me over the weekend,  i had been driving for about 10 mins and stopped for fuel. 

Went to pull off and the car felt uneasy and the gearbox went into neutral with the error. 

Soon as the car was restarted the fault was cleared.  

This happened to me over the weekend,  i had been driving for about 10 mins and stopped for fuel. 
Went to pull off and the car felt uneasy and the gearbox went into neutral with the error. 

Soon as the car was restarted the fault was cleared.  
Have you taken your car in for the EGR recall?

No i haven't actually ,i was told nothing had been recalled for my model / year etc.
I'd double check as that is one of the faults that come up for the EGR. Today my engine light came on, again one of the faults that can be linked to EGR.

I need to call BMW emergency services tomorrow.

Will do, I'll check with them tomorrow.
If you go to gov.uk you can check there. They have a database of recalls on all makes and models, just type in your reg. But, if nothing shows there it's still worth checking with BMW.

Come to think of it i asked my local bmw when i first purchased the car is the was any and they said no. 

.gov has also come back with No outstanding safety recalls found.

Just a quick update to this topic. 

The car went in today and they diagnosed a faulty egr valve. 

Apparently it was my egr cooler that was replaced in the recall, not the valve, and the valve itself was faulty and sticking. 

They've replaced the valve today and not charged me a penny! 

Safe to say, I'm very happy with the outcome. 

It was a wait yeah I agree, they would have been able to do it sooner had I not required a courtesy car, so it was partly down to me. 

Didn't really say why it was free, just said they'd contacted bmw to get it done under good will. 

I would have thought though that as part of the recall, they would have checked the valve? Because they clearly didn't or they would have surely seen it was faulty? 

Recall is only for the cooler/heat exchanger part, not the valves or pipe work.  But they would have had to unbolt one of the valves from the old cooler to bolt to the new one.

Perhaps there is some guilty knowledge in your case?

Maybe so, either way they've looked after me and I can't say a bad word about them.

I haven't had a bad experience ever at Nottingham Sytner, so I'll continue to use them rather than my local dealer.

Sytner Nottingham have been very unhelpful for me, 3 attempts to fix my car then giving me my money back and sending me on my way rather than try to resolve the issue, I have the car booked in for further warranty work and my car has managed to break down twice the day before it was due in, it must be scared to go back again!

If you ever need diagnostics I have BMW diagnostics to read the codes generic software can't figure out.