CS10

Drivechain - Drive Moderately

Guys, I've had the car back from the egr recall for just over a week.

Today whilst driving, I lost a lot of power and had the drivechain warning appear, something along the lines of Drive Moderately.

In the same journey, the warning disappeared!

Is this linked to the EGR recall??

Seems such a coincidence!

I am so glad I have read this. I have had the same recall and booked in for July as the parts are on back order. I have been putting this off, as sometimes taking your car in for a recall ends up causing more harm than good. Remember the VW fiasco? 

I would say this is too much of a coincidence. I am seriously debating whether to take mine in at all as I don't trust BMW garages. 

No, I didn't take it there based on bad experience in the past!

It was the Nottingham Sytner one.

Best giving them a ring do you think?

No, I didn't take it there based on bad experience in the past!
It was the Nottingham Sytner one.
Best giving them a ring do you think?
Ring them and stand your ground.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I never believe coincidences like this. Cars run  for months without problems, too suspicious to get a fault days after someone’s had their hands in amongst it.

I'm taking it to a friend tonight who is going to read any codes on it to see exactly what it is. 

Based on that, I'll ring them tomorrow. 

On my drive home tonight, it didn't appear once. 

6 hours ago, CS10 said:

I'm taking it to a friend tonight who is going to read any codes on it to see exactly what it is. 

Based on that, I'll ring them tomorrow. 

On my drive home tonight, it didn't appear once. 

Its drivetrain rather than drive chain and if it were me I'd go straight back to BMW. 

23 hours ago, Spreadly said:

I am so glad I have read this. I have had the same recall and booked in for July as the parts are on back order. I have been putting this off, as sometimes taking your car in for a recall ends up causing more harm than good. Remember the VW fiasco? 

I would say this is too much of a coincidence. I am seriously debating whether to take mine in at all as I don't trust BMW garages. 

If your car has the recall and you've been notified you should get it seen to. If there is a leak in the EGR Cooler it could become a serious issue and if the worst happens  your insurer may have something to say if you knew about the recall and chose to do nothing about it. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

6 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Its drivetrain rather than drive chain and if it were me I'd go straight back to BMW. 

Is it more likely to be related to the recall as its drive train and not drive chain. 

Is that what your getting at?

51 minutes ago, CS10 said:

Is it more likely to be related to the recall as its drive train and not drive chain. 

The fault warning on the car is used to describe any fault with a component of the drive train. This can be any fault in the engine or gearbox that makes the car warm you of this message. It could be anything from a faulty injector to a fault in the transmission.  One such fault (of many) that gives this warning is a problem with the EGR. 

What did the dealer do when it was in for the recall? Did the replace or say it's o.k.? 

As it is an N47 then there is a chance that the drive train fault is a fault to do with the timing chain. But then again it could be to do with any component in the engine or transmission. That's why you need to get the codes read.

They said it needed replacing and they had it for 5 weeks as they were waiting for the part from Germany. 

I'm away this weekend so I'll see if I get the warning again and give them a ring if I do. 

I've not had it since. Wouldn't you have thought it would be there all the time? 

They said it needed replacing and they had it for 5 weeks as they were waiting for the part from Germany. 

I'm away this weekend so I'll see if I get the warning again and give them a ring if I do. 

I've not had it since. Wouldn't you have thought it would be there all the time? 
Maybe it was something settling in. I'd keep an eye on it, you may never see it again.

If you're car has the recall and you've been notified you should get it seen to. If there is a leak in the EGR Cooler it could become a serious issue and if the worst happens  your insurer may have something to say if you knew about the recall and chose to do nothing about it. 

Yeah, I hear you. I'll take it in, I just don't fully trust BMW garages.

2 hours ago, CS10 said:

I would ring them now to tell them its happened and you want to know when you can bring it in.

59 minutes ago, CS10 said:

And you'd expect this to be done without me paying yeah?

Or am I going to paying for all of this?

Well the first thing is to find out what it is/was. You should just tell the shop that it was fine when they got it in, it’s throwing a fault now they’ve returned it and you want them to tell you what’s gone wrong. Straightforward and they should diagnose it for free of course as it wasn’t there when they got it. Polite but firm.

Paying depends on the result. If it turns out to be a coincidental unassociated fault after all then yes of course. If they’ve dislodged something then no (and they won’t tell you ;) ).

Edited by Boba

7 hours ago, CS10 said:

My point was that the fault you saw was for Drive Train and not Drive Chain. Drive Chain is not used to describe any part of your car. 

Take the car back to BMW and let them hook it up and diagnose the issue. At least then there is a log of this happening rather than just leaving it and trying to come back at BMW sometime later in the future. 

Why don’t you trust BMW dealers? Have you had a bad experience?
Personally, no. I have only ever taken my car to BMW once and that was for a service. I had a service pack from the previous owner so saved around £500 on a major service. I have read some shocking reviews on BMW service centres in London and that is what puts me off. Also, the fact that in London there are only 2 BMW service centres that are actually owned by BMW, the rest are franchises. I also know mechanics who have worked for BMW and some of the stories they have told me about what goes on doesn't leave me which much confidence.

I really don't agree with BMW's franchise model and I'm sure they're not the only ones who use that model, but I think every service centre should be BMW direct. We do spend a lot on their cars afterall.

Lastly, it's the cost of taking your car to BMW, as opposed to a good independent.

Got it booked in, but not for a while as they need it all day and I need a car.

If it does happen again though, or remains on, or I notice anything, I've been told to ring them for a emergency appointment.

I guess I'll see how it goes, they've got it on record now that I've had a problem from the recall and its booked in for inspection.

Got it booked in, but not for a while as they need it all day and I need a car.

If it does happen again though, or remains on, or I notice anything, I've been told to ring them for a emergency appointment.

I guess I'll see how it goes, they've got it on record now that I've had a problem from the recall and its booked in for inspection.
Nice