The Spooner

The E39 First World Problems thread

What niggly, trivial problems do you have, that to most of the world's population wouldn't matter? I'll start with the fact that on a recent sunny day, when using global opening one of my windows didn't open! I was incredulous at having to get in the car and open this final window myself. Like a pleb. 

Also, the nearside mirror that dips so I can see the kerb when I put the car in reverse hasn't been returning to the correct position. Gah! What a catastrophe! 

Having to move auto gear shift into self select mode and back again when car first started so that it automatically shifts out of first into second!

6 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Can't this be corrected just by simple coding from Japan to ECE version?

I guess it might be possible. Just need to find somewhere to do it, although the idea is to actually replace the head unit/display with something more capable.

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

I guess it might be possible. Just need to find somewhere to do it, although the idea is to actually replace the head unit/display with something more capable.

You and me both pal ;) I've ripped all mine out bar the head unit...

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You and me both pal ;) I've ripped all mine out bar the head unit...

Yes, I read that - brave man! I just don't go anywhere near car electrics because it would all end in tears for sure. :(

15 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Yes, I read that - brave man! I just don't go anywhere near car electrics because it would all end in tears for sure. :(

That stuff was easy; just all plugs. The Pioneer stuff I just ripped out along with all the extra wiring; PITA but needed doing

Parking distance sensor not working, airbag light on and trying to find coolant leak source could be the themostat or water pump.

My radio frequency only goes up to 88mhz

You can get a waveband extender from eBay for less than a tenner as a stopgap, had one on mine before I replaced the Japanese unit with a BM54

Damn airbag warning light keeps coming on every time I drive over a pothole or speed hump.

38 minutes ago, Marc_C said:

Damn airbag warning light keeps coming on every time I drive over a pothole or speed hump.

Check connections under the seats; unplug and plug back in a few times, carefully, to clean the connectors. Hopefully that'll  re-seat them properly :) 

On 16/04/2019 at 14:37, Mashmanu said:

Having to move auto gear shift into self select mode and back again when car first started so that it automatically shifts out of first into second!

Sure sign of a front ABS wheel sensor on its way out. Autobox uses inputs from these to detect the cars speed for gear shifts.

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sure sign of a front ABS wheel sensor on its way out. Autobox uses inputs from these to detect the cars speed for gear shifts.

Thanks I’ll check it out. Haven’t seen anything in INPA regards errors. Thought it was just a cold old gearbox needed a bit of persuading :roll: