Enjoying a gentle drive up Applecross hill I noticed the temp gauge reaches the last 0 of 100C. Do 520d engines heat that much so quickly?

Phew cheers. Its chilly here so about 6 outside. I will read it properly in a couple of weeks

Edited by kirk

Enjoying a gentle drive up Applecross hill I noticed the temp gauge reaches the last 0 of 100C. Do 520d engines heat that much so quickly?
Sorry, I have now re-read this. After a while, say 20mins, again that this depends on outside temp, mine sits exactly at 100C. If yours is over that after a very short drive, I'd look into it.

As for the water, you should never have to top this up between services. Neither should you ever have to top up the oil between services, unless you drive the car hard and the oil light comes on, but again, you'd have to drive the car very hard for that to happen. Has the car had a recent service?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BMW.Aficionado said:

Check radiator levels, is very difficult with the f10 engines, although there should be an alert if it goes down.

Coolant level checking is easy on the F10. Just open the expansion tank cap (when cold of course) and there will either be a yellow level identifier or you have to measure the depth to the coolant level. 

Oil should be 100 degrees and pretty rock steady. 

Coolant in diesels at least around 88. If it is below 75 time for new 'stats as it wont regenerate below 75. During regen mine goes to around 94.

oops yes of course its oil temp thanks!

it certainly gets to about 105C but I've seen posts where this happens too. I should check with the "hidden menu" ..