apples12

Rear diff seals - common?

Hi all

Noticed that my rear diff seals are leaking/misting, with this being my first BMW, how common is it for these to fail/wear? 

Also, what sort of cost am I looking at to have them replaced?just looking for a rough ballpark

Anything else that should be done 'whilst in there'?

Car is currently at just shy of 127k motorway miles

Many thanks

20190316_100113.jpg

20190316_100110.jpg

20190316_100104.jpg

20190316_100101.jpg

That looks more than just a mist, you can see a bit of glistening close up.

Check your oil level (top up if required) and clean up the oil with brake cleaner and see how it goes.

A few folk on here have had them replaced under warranty.  Taking the half shafts out isn't an easy job for a diyer.

I've just had mine done as part of the end of warranty check. 3 years old and 43,000 miles. So I'd say yes it's common. 

Had confirmation it would be covered but I have the 250 excess policy, will book it into the Indy I use instead as it's not far off and he'll do all 3 seals instead of just the two

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What warranty do you have? 

The extended BMW 'insured' warranty with 250 excess, extended continuously when the initial 3yrs ran out (I bought the car when it was 18months old)

Strongly feeling I ought to cancel it now, only continued it as I have the n47 engine and wanted the reassurance the warranty was there in case it all went tits up, but now at 127k, wear and tear no longer covered so in 2 minds as to what to do...

250 excess to potentially just have the two outer seals done, nick will do the front one too and not charge very much more to do the centre propshaft bearing