gine39530d

auto gearbox repair guidance

i am not in Ignalina, my hut is at 40kms deep into the woods right on the cusp of two civilisations :)

What is service for auto box mean?

And folks in Ignalina refused to work on BMW coz it sucks they say

PS. have you ever rebuilt auto boxes before by yourself?

Don't believe rumours, spread by mechanics.... they are just jacking up prices and add mystique to the process :)

just like bloody lawyers and lot

All it takes is a lot of swearing, time, tears, bit of tools here and there and research to fix anything

Edited by gine39530d

Go for it Gin

Plenty of sage advice in previous posts, but clearly you know more than this lot put together...

So go ahead, rip your box out, tear it open, service it & report back when you need another because you cocked it up, as you’d no idea what you’re doing & didn’t have the necessary tools etc... :roll: 

I bought a used box for my 530d that had problems. I was going to go through it myself and replace the clutch plates, solenoid, seals and pump bypass pressure relief spool.

A common problem with the GM boxes is the pump pressure relief valve spool rod that was made too start and wiggled around in the ally casting causing wear and therefore pressure loss. The lack of pressure leads to other things failing like the TC and so on.

Low oil and pressure causing the plates to slip causing damage.

There is a stinking great big circlip  in the middle of the assembly needing a huge pair of circlip pliers the size of goliaths.

I therefore took mine to a gearbox guy who went through it and did the lot before swapping with my old one and utilizing the old TC that came with the box for a second exchange.

Good luck

Edited by bigrigbri

It's about 200mm Do a with a wall thickness of around 15mm by 6mm thick steel.

Then you will need to shim the clutch plate stacks and set the pressure bypass to oem figures. 

Oh if the final output drive shaft is gone it's a steep 380 quid on its own.

cmon guys, i just want an OCD perfection, how hard can it be? =)

I am providing troves of the good solid content to this forum

I am a mega guinea pig here =)

cut me some slack

show me some loooove

Edited by gine39530d

8 minutes ago, boiliebasher said:

He's going to crack on regardless of our incompetent and misguided advice so I wish him all the best with the gearbox overhaul :)

One simple question for you too: Have you ever touched an autobox yourself?

Hi gine39530d,

'IF' the car was a clean, well running, good/great condition example, what you are intending makes a 'BIT' more sense. I think on FB, someone is parting out a 530d and the auto gearbox he wants just £80 for. Even with the cost of shipping it to you then you giving it a 'quick easy job as how hard can it be' swapsy, it makes much more sense to go this route - because your example of an E39 seems to be one of the very worst given the amount of things you've posted being wrong with it. 

I see you like asking if members have opened up and refurbished a gearbox themselves and have just done so again - I think you'll find 99% of E39 owners worldwide haven't attempted this as they haven't got the time/space/knowledge/experience to do so. 

As mentioned, start your own project thread and post up updates as you do your DIY overhaul, you can then post up your experience and if it is, or isn't a success - it's your car and money after all. 

I think the moderators may as well lock this thread off as its becoming more of a waste of bandwidth.

Cheers, Dennis!

why is that? it is just an old piece of a machine
gotta happen one way or another

Admittedly I've never had a car at near 200k miles but my Saab turbo at 186k was running fine when sold and didn't cause me any bother and my own e39 530d at 165k is running well. I've maintained it and refreshed it but it doesn't have the list of problems you seem to have.

I don't see why a well maintained car should be so problematic despite the miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I don't see why a well maintained car should be so problematic despite the miles.

I don't think that the car is the problem here :ph34r:

My old e34 tds was sold with 265k+ miles and I happened to spot it a few years later on. Still running strong. 

Two particular clichés spring to mind :

1. If it ain't broke.....

2. You can lead a horse to water....

For the record I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't do a box rebuild.

I'm questioning why it's necessary and why if you have so many issues is it worth persevering with this car but if you do I wish you luck and await the results of your endeavours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk