Jump to content
timk

E39 M5 headlight adjusters - MOT failure

Recommended Posts

So my 2002 M5 has just failed its MOT based on the headlight aim being too low and the garage has been unable to adjust it as the adjuster is just turning and not moving the aim up or down.

Apparently it is stuck in the down position.

I've order some cheap looking plastic adjusters on eBay, in the hope I might be able to do this myself, although doesn't look like they'll arrive before the MOT expires next week. 

My question is - there appear to be various DIY guides out there but is there a definitive 'how to' anyone can point me towards?? If mines a March 2002 build am i likely to have the epoxy bonded lights which can't be prised apart?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the one I used: 

 

 

Remember as a UK car you have an additional panel on each headlight you can remove - the flat, round one on the top that gives you access to switch from RHD to LHD beam pattern. This helps enormously with one of the adjusters!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that. Looks incredibly fiddly. Is removing the headlight itself straightforward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timk said:

Thanks for that. Looks incredibly fiddly. Is removing the headlight itself straightforward?

 

 

Yup, 4 bolts which you can see from the top, when you open the bonnet.

 

Are yours OEM xenons or halogen headlights? My headlights were duff on my 530i touring (oem xenons) but being someone who has no patience for fiddly jobs, I bought 2 new halogen headlights from ECP and retrofitted the xenons (ballasts, D2S bulbs, D2S to H7 adapters etc). You can’t tell the difference between them and oem xenons IMO and it’s a straight foreword swap out 

 

Just thought I’d offer the info in case you decide it’s too much of a faff as I did :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2019 at 18:57, d_a_n1979 said:

 

 

Yup, 4 bolts which you can see from the top, when you open the bonnet.

 

Are yours OEM xenons or halogen headlights? My headlights were duff on my 530i touring (oem xenons) but being someone who has no patience for fiddly jobs, I bought 2 new halogen headlights from ECP and retrofitted the xenons (ballasts, D2S bulbs, D2S to H7 adapters etc). You can’t tell the difference between them and oem xenons IMO and it’s a straight foreword swap out 

 

Just thought I’d offer the info in case you decide it’s too much of a faff as I did :lol: 

 

They're OEM xenons. I think all the M5s had them. 

Punching my reg into ECP brings up Hella xenon units at £844 a pop (!) - how much did the halogen units cost and were they Hella?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, timk said:

 

They're OEM xenons. I think all the M5s had them. 

Punching my reg into ECP brings up Hella xenon units at £844 a pop (!) - how much did the halogen units cost and were they Hella?

 

 

Yeah; as were mine :lol: Nearly swallowed my tongue when I saw the prices!

 

I reverted back to OEM Hella Halogen headlights and retrofitted the xenon parts; I got them from ECP; about £520 for both IIRC and then used D2s to H7 adapters to fit the D2S xenon bulbs into the dipped beam, the rest is the same; you can attach the brackets to hold the ballast to the back of the headlights as your OEM Xenons have also. I didn't do this as the screws were rusted to hell and snapped as I tried to undo them, so my ballasts are velcro'd in place, there's plenty of room behind heach headlight to do this (you'll see when you remove them)

 

The headlights are perfect too; they've flown through an MOT, all the motors work as they should; they just needed a tweak to align them correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×