Andrew530dmsport

Engine Rough Running- off she goes on a recovery truck

So today my 17 plate 530d was recovered from the side of the road. Have had the oil overfill warning a few times and then yesterday car wouldn’t start a few times. It would turn over but not fire? This morning, off to get washed but on the way it was running rough and sounded more like a tractor ( nothing against tractors, I’d love one as a toy!) . Pulled over to do the engine oil check,  it reved to 1k RPM and it was like being on a boat, rocking from side to side. Immediately switched off and on the phone to BMW. Car now on it’s way to Williams in Liverpool and Enterprise delivering me a car so I can get back home to Wiltshire. 

Anyone else had this? I’m wondering if it’s linked to the overfill warning issue?

Sounds like you either have a misfire, causing the engine to rock due to uneven work or one of the engine mounts has gone.

was there a loss in power?

No noticeable loss of power,  just a general rough running, not how a six should run. Always had top spec fuel in it, serviced and generally not abused. I like to get my foot down, who doesn’t but there seem to be gremlins a foot here. Air con was up and down of its own accord also yesterday? Let’s see what Williams BMW have to report back.

So to add further insult to injury, Enterprise, BMWs replacement car service have offered me a VW Sharan or a 17 plate 3 Series that they describe as being a shed ! Stuck in the North West trying to get to the South waiting for my complaint to BMW GB to be answered. Not great service on a £60k car.  Main dealer told me they can’t even park cars as they have no room and have rented further parking due to all the recalls! Won’t look at my car until the end of next week at the earliest. Service is going down hill with BMW as is their reliability from what I’ve heard today. Real shame as I do love the brand but this is why we run E and S Class Mercs on our fleet as they know how to efficiently deal with any breakdowns.

17 minutes ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

So to add further insult to injury, Enterprise, BMWs replacement car service have offered me a VW Sharan or a 17 plate 3 Series that they describe as being a shed ! Stuck in the North West trying to get to the South waiting for my complaint to BMW GB to be answered. Not great service on a £60k car.  Main dealer told me they can’t even park cars as they have no room and have rented further parking due to all the recalls! Won’t look at my car until the end of next week at the earliest. Service is going down hill with BMW as is their reliability from what I’ve heard today. Real shame as I do love the brand but this is why we run E and S Class Mercs on our fleet as they know how to efficiently deal with any breakdowns.

I can sympathise. When my 420d broke (the fire risk/manifold issue) I was told that Enterprise were under strict instructions from BMW uk only to provide me with another BMW - enterprise locally didn't have any and so had to move stock from another enterprise. Eventually I managed to get a local dealer to fix me a loaner and did it that way around rather than waiting - but certainly the service is less than stellar in these situations. 

I hope whatever it is, it gets put to bed properly and completely this time and it doesn't go on and on

yeah its a misfire - for that level of roughness atleast 2 injectors have to be faulty. or maybe you are running on 3 cylinders :)

In pre DPF days,  you would have smoke pouring out the back. DPF may have shortened life

I thought the overfill warning was a fault sensor / software issue ?

Edited by Carrera77

So now back in South of England having done a 4 hour trip home in an old diesel mini loan car from Enterprise on Friday night. Loan car delivered at 6pm when my car went at about 9.30am and then a 4 hour trip home to make. The Mini is a total shed. 30k very hard miles on it as every bit of plastic inside had its own rattle point at speed ! On Saturday, no call from BMW, I then had to chase Enterprise to try and get something decent. Nothing available as, and I quote’ ‘ due to the issues BMW are having with recalls, they have all our BMW fleet’. Not a good sign for BMW ? So I have a meeting on Monday with a huge Chauffeur client of mine and I’m turning up in this knackered mini, great corporate look for my company, thanks BMW. Apparently they won’t supply a non brand loan car, yet I was offered a VW Sharan, Toyota Yaris???? Absolutely no customer service from GB. So when you spend £60k on a car, don’t expect any service once they have your money. 

As a note to this - we run a huge fleet of E and S Class Mercedes. If one of those goes tech, Mercedes are on the ball within minutes sorting a replacement. I’ve had 30 plus years of BMW but this might be the last one. As for the guy from BMW GB who is knocking on our door trying to get us to take 5 and 7 Series on our fleet........guess what ?

Edited by Andrew530dmsport

Similar message to what I got from Enterprise, they would only give me a leggy 320d after chasing round local branches and initially I got a mini - said bmw were their best customer due to the recall backlog. 

My high level fault was sorted with a reprogram after a couple of days with Halliwell Jones chester (who impressed, somewhat unusually!). Usually I'd have said Williams would be a better bet so it's unfortunate theyre quoting weeks - remote app was handy to see when the work really started though. 

Lean on your potential fleet supplier at BMW, worked well for me a few years ago. 

Edited by SuperDave

59 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Similar message to what I got from Enterprise, they would only give me a leggy 320d after chasing round local branches and initially I got a mini - said bmw were their best customer due to the recall backlog. 

My high level fault was sorted with a reprogram after a couple of days with Halliwell Jones chester (who impressed, somewhat unusually!). Usually I'd have said Williams would be a better bet so it's unfortunate theyre quoting weeks - remote app was handy to see when the work really started though. 

Lean on your potential fleet supplier at BMW, worked well for me a few years ago. 

I used Williams years ago when I lived on the Wirral and the service was good although an issue with my M5 went on for months with them putting parts in to try and fix it and me paying and paying for parts that didn’t help. Amazed though that they’d tell a customer they have huge amounts of vehicles in on recall.  Not sure how long mine will take to fix as it was having a fit trying to run. They then need to get my car back to me down here in Wiltshire. My car, although two years old is mint, no damage on alloys or body. I hope it gets returned like that.

so tomorrow is another day, trying to convince Enterprise to get me out of this shed and into something a little more akin to a 5 Series.

Just called the main dealer who has my vehicle to be told it will be a minimum of two weeks before they even look at my car, never mind fix it ! BMW have some serious problems at the moment with recall vehicles. If I was buying new at this time and knew this information it would probably put me off the brand.

from what I can gather, if your car hasn’t been it yet, it will only be a matter of time lol.

11 hours ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

from what I can gather, if your car hasn’t been it yet, it will only be a matter of time lol.

that sounds ominous. Is it diesel related?  That would be hard to tell becasue a majority of the cars sold are diesel

Still I haven't had a oil overfill warning yet

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

that sounds ominous. Is it diesel related?  That would be hard to tell becasue a majority of the cars sold are diesel

The recall only affects diesel cars. Only those have the EGR valve and cooler that is at the centre of the recall. Petrol cars unaffected.

On 18/04/2019 at 20:27, Carrera77 said:

Still I haven't had a oil overfill warning yet

I have no idea but mine is a 530d. I can’t believe that everyone I’ve spoken to, recovery driver, service manager and a buddy who was ex BMW have all said there are big problems with the amount of vehicles going back. We had our 420d coupe repaired at home by BMW Emergency Services a week or so ago. EGR issue they could rectify at our address.

im seeing and hearing that the overfill issue is starting to show on many of the G30’s.

after about 35 years of having BMW as my private vehicle and or company car I’m starting to think of a change with all the issues with this model. Currently got a  19 plate T5 Volvo V90 and have to say it’s no a bad beast.

39 minutes ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

I have no idea but mine is a 530d. I can’t believe that everyone I’ve spoken to, recovery driver, service manager and a buddy who was ex BMW have all said there are big problems with the amount of vehicles going back. We had our 420d coupe repaired at home by BMW Emergency Services a week or so ago. EGR issue they could rectify at our address.

im seeing and hearing that the overfill issue is starting to show on many of the G30’s.

after about 35 years of having BMW as my private vehicle and or company car I’m starting to think of a change with all the issues with this model. Currently got a  19 plate T5 Volvo V90 and have to say it’s no a bad beast.

oil overfill (if its not a faulty sensor) is a classic DPF related problem . The DPF regeneration starts to contaminate the engine oil with diesel and oil levels start rising. It depend on a number of factors - your driving style and so on. I guess if BMW sell diesels to everybody this is going to happen

The T5 Volvo V90, I beleive is a high power petrol 4 pot which should be comparable to the 530i. BMW still have the best diesels , if they are having issues others will be no better

As a new to BMW owner I am very disappointed to read this post. I have come from 15 + years of Mercedes ownership and I am in full agreement about what Andrew530dMSport says about their attention to roadside recovery, replacement vehicle and speed to repair a vehicle, I used it twice.

Lets hope BMW sort their issues if this is widespread.

On 20/04/2019 at 21:36, Andrew530dmsport said:

4 pot 2.0 litre engines can in general be done at home/roadside in an emergency situation (so long as the manifold is not excessively full of carbon or has holes in it, a 6 pot will need a workshop as the AC lines need to come off. Combine that with many are unlikely to be replaced on the roadside, and in many cases there was a period the emergency techs were not allowed to do them at the roadside such was the concern of BMW in regards to the EGR Coolers.

I won't lie it is clear (and speaking with a few techs on the ground as it were) the issues of the battery cable recall and the EGR coolers being so close together has been hell for BMW. To the extent that one tech said all he pretty much does is service, mot and QE checks (and when they appear replace EGR's). My dealer now has an overnight shift like many others...

In regards to Volvo their VEA petrol and diesel engines (as they use the same block) had a number of years with diesel EGR cooler problems ironically in the few year following their release and numerous cars went into limp home mode. The worst one I have personally heard about being the replacement of an EGR cooler 4 times. Understandably the owner sold it soon after it was fully repaired for the last time as he had lost faith in the vehicle. To think that this is a BMW specific issue is a little overdone in my view.

That being said the storage of and the issues surrounding hire and courtesy cars is shocking and obviously the subsequent impact on other customers is equally shocking.  I suspect Williams will be trying to get the EGR parts for the other cars and get them off their service area more quickly where possible.

Edited by Ninja59

so thats why the car parks at dealers are full of cars, they're broken down and waiting work... I must admit I was so looking forward to my first Beemer now 5 series had X drive but after many years of Audi a4-A6 with latest one being a 14 plate leading up to my 530 I must say audi seem to use much better materials inside at least, the cabins are silent and quality compared to BMW with its heat stress creaking of different materials not insulated, delaminated plastics and creaking door cards, after having oil overfilling error and when cold I have coolant level too low 2-3 times for no reason I now see others with new EGR and gearbox issues.

30 minutes ago, huggy said:

so thats why the car parks at dealers are full of cars, they're broken down and waiting work... I must admit I was so looking forward to my first Beemer now 5 series had X drive but after many years of Audi a4-A6 with latest one being a 14 plate leading up to my 530 I must say audi seem to use much better materials inside at least, the cabins are silent and quality compared to BMW with its heat stress creaking of different materials not insulated, delaminated plastics and creaking door cards, after having oil overfilling error and when cold I have coolant level too low 2-3 times for no reason I now see others with new EGR and gearbox issues.

Well not broken "down" as such. They work fine in many cases, the issue is that there could be a "thermal event" (yes BMW's original words when it was a Quality Enhancement as opposed to recall).

Not so sure I have begun seeing reports of the new dashboards and touchscreens and trim in the larger audi causing problems with creaking and rattles. 

11 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

My 520d sometimes has about 3-5 seconds of really rough idle on cold start, but after that it’s just disappears. Anyone else had this?

I have a 530d and it purrs to life everytime I press the start button but I feel like I am on borrowed time :(

So tomorrow my car will be returned to my address down here from Williams BMW in Liverpool. I had to see if it was ready and then let BMW Emergency Services know so they can book transport to repatriate it to the South. Had 4 different people from Williams call me to say it’s ready for me to collect? The whole service from BMW and the dealers has been nothing but shocking.

The upshot is and I had to pull teeth to get this, is that it needed new injectors in it? I’m waiting to see the paperwork though on this. As the car only has top spec fuel put in it it can’t be that damaging the system.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.......

I'm just curious - how long after you'd had the Oil Overflow Warnings did you get the car recovered? You said in the OP that you'd had it several times, so It sounds like you left it a while and then it broke down, or have I go that wrong?

10 minutes ago, Hal9000 said:

I'm just curious - how long after you'd had the Oil Overflow Warnings did you get the car recovered? You said in the OP that you'd had it several times, so It sounds like you left it a while and then it broke down, or have I go that wrong?

I was told by Emergency Services when the first overfill warning came up that it was fine to drive the car and to get it booked in as and when. In other words, no rush. It then happened again a few weeks later and then cleared within minutes so one could assume it’s just an electronic glitch. The actual breakdown didn’t occur anytime near the overfill warning, in fact I’d not had one for a while. Whenever they happened they cleared usually with an engine restart. 

@Andrew530dmsport how many miles do you have on the clock? Just interest as to how long the injectors have lasted.

2 weeks seems a long time for a straightforward warranty repair on a 2 year old car.

Edited by Boba

1 minute ago, Boba said:

@Andrew530dmsport how many miles do you have on the clock? Just interest as to how long the injectors have lasted.

2 years old and 40k on the clock