albash82

The Chancellor (E39 530i Sport Touring)

Ok, so I've been told I need a project thread.

Bought a year ago, with 145k... These are the seller's pics.

Took it immediately to trusted BMW indy in Leeds for a checkover. Given a nice little list of stuffs to sort/fix/ignore...

-Front shocks showing signs of needing replacing

-Slight leak from diff pinion oil seal

-Headlight lenses frosted and adjustment mechanisms reed replacing

-Slight oil leak from engine

IMG-20180327-WA0015.jpg

So I just kept topping engine oil up monthly, until it got to weekly. Finally got around to dropping it into my indy and got it on the ramp... There were a few bits that it was suspected to have been coming from and turned out to be the sump gasket. Sorted :D

Looks a good project; another nice looking silver 530i touring on the forum 8);) 

6 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

Sterling Grey ones are where its at :) 

But seriously tho albash82 .. that looks a mighty fine example if I was honest ..more pics needed

Sshhhhhhhhh! Chancellor MK1 might hear you (sad story, none of you will wish to hear it)

Must have been pissing quite badly from the sump gasket, if you had to top up the oil weekly...Of course, depending on how much you were topping it up with.

Looks clean, especially being an M Sport.

40 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Must have been pissing quite badly from the sump gasket, if you had to top up the oil weekly...Of course, depending on how much you were topping it up with.

Looks clean, especially being a Sport.

Fixed ;):lol: 

On 12/04/2019 at 20:19, albash82 said:

Sshhhhhhhhh! Chancellor MK1 might hear you (sad story, none of you will wish to hear it)

That's a good quality photo and if the car's in a good a condition as it appears to be, it's a real find.

Yeah it is in good nick. It was well looked after. 

So the sills needed sorting as rust was evident at fore and aft on both sides. Got a mate with his own body shop, so trundled down one Friday after work, so he could sort it me over the weekend. As soon as he got underneath and had a bit more of a poke, there was the dreaded sucking of breath through his teeth and exclamation of "oh dear matey!"

The front of the left sill was worse than expected, but the real mess was the jacking point on that corner.

So it needed more time and money, but Garry (Smart Touch Autobodies, Knaresborough) is an absolute wizard and grafted hard, putting all new metal in.

IMG-20190119-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190119-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190120-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190120-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190121-WA0011.jpg

So my to-do list now comprises of:

-Replace Anti roll bar D-bushes

-Replace rear view mirror stick on button

-Replace rear brake pad sensor

-Replace front shocks and top mounts

I've bought all the above parts, so it's just a matter of finding the time.

Also, I need need to buy new gas struts for both the boot lid and rear window hatch. This looks like a tw@ of a job to do, but I'll have a go... The wife struggles to lift the boot!

Oh yeah, I also need to invest in a decent trolley jack... My £50 halfrauds "low profile" effort doesn't get under the front bumper. So when I gave myself an hour or so to look at the D-bushes, I ended up spending the whole time faffing about with lifting each front wheel onto stacks of planks, which gave me access to the middle jack point... Then when I got the jack on there, it wouldn't lift it high enough to put my ancient (inherited from my dad) axle stands under the side jack points!

I'm an absolute novice at fixing cars by the way... I've been a cycle mechanic and worked with tools for a long time, but yeah, I'm learning on this car! 

16 minutes ago, albash82 said:

Oh yeah, I also need to invest in a decent trolley jack... My £50 halfrauds "low profile" effort doesn't get under the front bumper. So when I gave myself an hour or so to look at the D-bushes, I ended up spending the whole time faffing about with lifting each front wheel onto stacks of planks, which gave me access to the middle jack point... Then when I got the jack on there, it wouldn't lift it high enough to put my ancient (inherited from my dad) axle stands under the side jack points!

I'm an absolute novice at fixing cars by the way... I've been a cycle mechanic and worked with tools for a long time, but yeah, I'm learning on this car! 

Cracking project :)

You'll find that a lot of trolley jacks won't reach the front point on the E39

However,  a set of these comes in really handy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-LAS5669-Low-Rise-Ramp/dp/B00FMT7SRC/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=car+ramp&qid=1555311781&s=gateway&sr=8-13

I use them and have done on my previous lowered E39s too and no issues

I personally use this trolley jack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-1153CX-Trolley-Jack-Tonne/dp/B000RA2ZD8/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/257-5629644-1722147?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000RA2ZD8&pd_rd_r=b7dda422-5f4c-11e9-aa99-41356e6fd336&pd_rd_w=B2sRm&pd_rd_wg=83BuY&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=ANM2PRWZQG81T8GD4WGH&psc=1&refRID=ANM2PRWZQG81T8GD4WGH

And these stands: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-763620-Tonne-Axle-Stands/dp/B000WTHL42/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2/257-5629644-1722147?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000WTHL42&pd_rd_r=c63cd799-5f4c-11e9-8790-4f31a93d3f06&pd_rd_w=Z8lla&pd_rd_wg=UB2CX&pf_rd_p=07e3e597-b71b-4701-a3fd-d79c50f48406&pf_rd_r=YK3GAWQ3CV0DZW5H0A3D&psc=1&refRID=YK3GAWQ3CV0DZW5H0A3D

Cheers for that mate. Yeah I've got my eye on a jack that should do the job. Also, I think I'll build some ramps out of MDF. Should be strong enough right?

I can get plenty of offcuts from a factory... Sounds a bit ghetto, but I'm currently saving to buy my first house, so anywhere I can save helps!

9 hours ago, albash82 said:

Cheers for that mate. Yeah I've got my eye on a jack that should do the job. Also, I think I'll build some ramps out of MDF. Should be strong enough right?

I can get plenty of offcuts from a factory... Sounds a bit ghetto, but I'm currently saving to buy my first house, so anywhere I can save helps!

Personally I wouldn't trust MDF over the small but solidly built ramps (which are made for the job); but that's your choice

Saving £££ is fine, but cutting corners (more so when a cars weight is going to be questioned) isn't a great idea IMO

10 minutes ago, albash82 said:

Yeah, you're right. I'll just order the proper tool for the job!

Spot on... Unless you’re another one of this folk that loves to chuck heavy weights around (like me :lol: ) I would not put my faith in anything ‘hand made’ just to save a few £££... The stuff needed really isn’t that expensive, but it’s proven to do the job well ;) 

Oh, FYI, your cars an E39 530i Sport, not M-Sport ;) They didn’t come in until the next model, the E60... Just before someone else notices & mentions

<<<<<<<<

All i would say on the MDF is wouldn't have an issue with ramps built up of layers and layers of MDF to gain some height (Would weigh a bloody tonne mind!) and i've often used bits of scaffold board and the like to gain some height on lower cars but wouldn;t fabricate an MDF box as a ramp.

I use some old halfords ramps of my dads, bit narrow for modern tyres and you need to reduce the attack angle but they're sturdy things!

Yeah I was going to go with layers. I'll see where I end up anyway.

This was my setup when I tried before... I ran out of time though. My next step was to put more planks under the jack! :lol:

IMG-20190331-WA0004.jpeg

So i was waiting for good weather to get on with the above, the good weather arrived, but so did the knee surgery I'd been waiting for! Ah well... It was only minor, a torn miniscus- should be able to pedal my bike again within 6 weeks of op.

I've been doing a fair bit of research with my time off... Turns out i should've done more research first, as i think I've bought the wrong front shocks, as well as the wrong ARB bushes! #facepalm

I bought the Sachs shocks from ECP using my reg, but thru some random googling stumbled across an old thread on here :

These are the ones I bought, but, according to the above thread, they won't fit the chancellor...

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_5+Series_3.0_2002/p/car-parts/suspension/suspension-and-steering/shock-absorber/?635110100&amp;1&amp;4526dbebd75b1352b62a206c16cf8005ba740787&amp;000925

Aforementioned thread got me thinking Bilstein b8 is the way forward... The roads round here are horrendous, but I'm still rocking 17's

Also, looking on realoem, i saw there was a different diameter ARB bush for sport, looks like I bought non sport ones...

Luckily, ECP state 365 day returns and everything is still boxed...

Soooo......

Discovered Autodoc App. 25% sale on, for 1 more day.

Loaded into my basket 

-Stabilus struts for boot lid and glass

-Meyle ARB bushes... (24mm)

-Bilstein B8 struts. 35-114079

£420 Inc vat am p&p

Can anyone please tell me if I'll:

A- Be able to use the lemforder top mounts I bought with above bilstein struts?

B- will I need to buy new springs and shock mounting parts for the bilsteins?

Thanks in advance, Al

Edited by albash82

8 hours ago, albash82 said:

So i was waiting for good weather to get on with the above, the good weather arrived, but so did the knee surgery I'd been waiting for! Ah well... It was only minor, a torn miniscus- should be able to pedal my bike again within 6 weeks of op.

I've been doing a fair bit of research with my time off... Turns out i should've done more research first, as i think I've bought the wrong front shocks, as well as the wrong ARB bushes! #facepalm

I bought the Sachs shocks from ECP using my reg, but thru some random googling stumbled across an old thread on here :

These are the ones I bought, but, according to the above thread, they won't fit the chancellor...

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_5+Series_3.0_2002/p/car-parts/suspension/suspension-and-steering/shock-absorber/?635110100&amp;1&amp;4526dbebd75b1352b62a206c16cf8005ba740787&amp;000925

Aforementioned thread got me thinking Bilstein b8 is the way forward... The roads round here are horrendous, but I'm still rocking 17's

Also, looking on realoem, i saw there was a different diameter ARB bush for sport, looks like I bought non sport ones...

Luckily, ECP state 365 day returns and everything is still boxed...

Soooo......

Discovered Autodoc App. 25% sale on, for 1 more day.

Loaded into my basket 

-Stabilus struts for boot lid and glass

-Meyle ARB bushes... (24mm)

-Bilstein B8 struts. 35-114079

£420 Inc vat am p&p

Can anyone please tell me if I'll:

A- Be able to use the lemforder top mounts I bought with above bilstein struts?

B- will I need to buy new springs and shock mounting parts for the bilsteins?

Thanks in advance, Al

Have a look at my project pal; a few down below yours. You'll see I've just done a full suspension overhaul on my Touring using Sachs and OEM parts

If you want fresher springs; I've got a set of genuine springs in my garage off my 85k touring, they're more or less as new and didn't look any different to the brand new ones I replaced them with :roll: Secondly, your lemforder top mounts will be fine, as long as they're for an E390 I6 petrol, they're spot on. I'd get fresh rubber mountings though from BMW Cotswolds on here, you'll get the forum discount and free postage too