535i Andrew

Snow foam recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a new snow foam.

My Valet Pro PH Neutral snow foam is just about finished so looking to replace.

As usual there is a bewildering amount of products out there now. Quite a few are now offered as part of a two or three step cleaning process with gun applied shampoo and then gun applied wax/sealant etc.

BH Autofoam is my go to. Decent cleaning power, not part of a 2/3 part system either. 

I also keep a stock of Magifoam as it gives better effect but the cleaning power isn't as good as the thinner BH AF

16 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

See here:

;) 

Why didn't that come up when I typed "snow foam" into the search on here?  Grrr.  Thanks Dan.

I was just looking at the AG stuff in Halfrauds yesterday.  Not convinced by the AG stuff though, it doesn't have any lasting effect in my previous experience.  Could be tempted to try the range of Blast, wash and seal though. 

I'll have a look at the other two, thanks lads.  Mate at work uses the CYC own brand stuff and says its good.

The Polar Blast stuff is about one of the best I've used pal; and I've used a lot of different ones from Valet Pro to Pro-Kleen to Bilt Hamber etc

The AG stuff lasts and lasts well; you only need a small amount and it goes a long way

Don't write it off until you've used it ;) 

12 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

The Polar Blast stuff is about one of the best I've used pal; and I've used a lot of different ones from Valet Pro to Pro-Kleen to Bilt Hamber etc

The AG stuff lasts and lasts well; you only need a small amount and it goes a long way

Novice to this sort of thing, but I bought AutoGlym’s stuff on a recommendation from another site and I must agree that it does produce very thick foam which hangs on well. Can’t do any comparisons as I’ve only used this one but it’s hard to see how it could be bettered by very much.

Got to say that I can only occasionally be bothered by all the palaver though, and I’m still not convinced that it’s much better than a simple spray over with the hose before washing :ph34r: !

Edited by Boba

11 hours ago, Boba said:

Novice to this sort of thing, but I bought AutoGlym’s stuff on a recommendation from another site and I must agree that it does produce very thick foam which hangs on well. Can’t do any comparisons as I’ve only used this one but it’s hard to see how it could be bettered by very much.

Got to say that I can only occasionally be bothered by all the palaver though, and I’m still not convinced that it’s much better than a simple spray over with the hose before washing :ph34r: !

In reference to snow foam, you said it was "complete waste of money and time" when we were discussing it in the "What did you do to your F07/F10/F11.." thread.

Has the Autoglym stuff changed your mind? Or was your previous comment when you were having a can't be bothered moment? Lol we all suffer from them. :D

Reading @d_a_n1979 post the AG stuff clings as much as a needy girlfriend!

Its working I'm being suckered in....quite cheap on Amazon too......

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

In reference to snow foam, you said it was "complete waste of money and time" when we were discussing it in the "What did you do to your F07/F10/F11.." thread.

Has the Autoglym stuff changed your mind? Or was your previous comment when you were having a can't be bothered moment? Lol we all suffer from them. :D

Not really, as I said earlier: 

Got to say that I can only occasionally be bothered by all the palaver though, and I’m still not convinced that it’s much better than a simple spray over with the hose before washing :ph34r: !

so I’m still not convinced it’s worth the bother of dragging out the power washer and clearing up after, just that so far as foam goes it’s hard to see how you’d get much better than the AG.

If that makes sense ;) .

I personally use the power washer for all light cleans, nevermind full detail cleans etc

It uses less water due to it being under pressure; but the snow foam is an easy start to the clean; a simple rinse IMO still leaves a lot of fine debris on the car; ripe for scratching the paintwork... The snowfoam lifts this prior to the rinse and wash...

On 13/04/2019 at 13:46, d_a_n1979 said:

I personally use the power washer for all light cleans, nevermind full detail cleans etc

Agree as anything that gets the dirt off the panels before you touch them is a good idea. The minute you touch a panel even with the softest wash mitt, you will scratch it, albiet a tiny amount.

Can I just add that the snow foam lance will affect the results.

I've been using the little Karcher lance (the one with a trangular grey bottle) and always had very runny foam. I've now used a Pro-Kleen lance and got amazingly thick foam and greater adjustment too. These results were using the same snow foam.

RgdS Paj 

On 14/04/2019 at 19:29, 535i Andrew said:

Agree as anything that gets the dirt off the panels before you touch them is a good idea. The minute you touch a panel even with the softest wash mitt, you will scratch it, albiet a tiny amount.

Yes, likely so, but isn’t it just as much the case that blasting a grubby panel with a pressure spray is a mild form of sandblasting once there’s a bit of grit on the move? Surely a gentler spray from a hose is less damaging?

ISTR this from a Which? report on forecourt jet washes.

On 15/04/2019 at 20:23, Boba said:

Yes, likely so, but isn’t it just as much the case that blasting a grubby panel with a pressure spray is a mild form of sandblasting once there’s a bit of grit on the move? Surely a gentler spray from a hose is less damaging?

ISTR this from a Which? report on forecourt jet washes.

I think the comment is more related to using a power washer for the snow foam use before the wash etc, not going straight at the car with a full on power wash...

However, I've done that before and with no issues; home power washers are generally nowhere near as powerful as forecourt power washers or ones in car wash businesses

Thing is, everyone is always going to have their own way of doing things, so what one person does may not be the same as another and opinions will differ...