Boba

First Service

Booked in for the first service today. 2 years and about 7500 miles . Asked how long it would take and how much it would cost. “Can’t say until we see the car “ the receptionist told me, apparently because of condition-based servicing. Now the car’s done 7500 miles. Can it possibly need anything other than an oil change? Why make everything so complex? I want to wait for the car so it’d be nice to know how long I’ll be just like every other car I’ve ever owned.

(receptionist suggested I allow 2 hours “in case”). Eh?

In my experience, they like to err on the side of caution, to prevent you sitting in reception and stewing. It's better to say they don't know than stating "two hours" and then it not being ready. I'm lucky, in that I take my dog in with me and walk from the garage. I walk until they phone me to say it's ready. Clearly, we are not all in the same boat and have other things going on in our lives :). They usually do 'other' checks when it's in, over and above the standard service.

Another consideration is at 2 years old there's more than likely a software update for the car that will be done as part of the service. Unfortunately this can take hours.

When the EGR was changed on mine under recall the software update took about 5 hours because they update the whole car not just what they fix.

17 minutes ago, Stressed said:

Another consideration is at 2 years old there's more than likely a software update for the car that will be done as part of the service. Unfortunately this can take hours.

When the EGR was changed on mine under recall the software update took about 5 hours because they update the whole car not just what they fix.

Absolutely no way BMW will carry out a software update unless one is needed i.e you complain something is not working. They usually charge £200 a pop if you do that on a whim and by own wish. 

As to the service needed, its likely to be only oil, but you can check this yourself as to what the car requires in the menu. It could be possible that it will also ask for a set of filters if they are two years old now but considering the millage, I don't think that that will be the case. 

53 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

As to the service needed, its likely to be only oil, but you can check this yourself as to what the car requires in the menu. It could be possible that it will also ask for a set of filters if they are two years old now but considering the millage, I don't think that that will be the case. 

Thanks.

It does look as though it’s only oil. I don’t mind them changing the filters though if they suggest as it’s likely to be infrequent anyway.

The receptionist wondered if they’d want to do a car check (whatever!) but I thought that came automatically later.

Nothings a big deal, just that I’d like to know ahead what’s likely to affect my day. ;)

Edited by Boba

BMW's service schedule includes a Microfilter replacement with every Oil service. This is BMW's standard approach. As has been said they will never update Software unless there is a very specific need. 

On 10/04/2019 at 18:40, sjak92 said:

Absolutely no way BMW will carry out a software update unless one is needed i.e you complain something is not working. They usually charge £200 a pop if you do that on a whim and by own wish. 

They did one on mine when it was serviced, unasked for and uncharged. It was 18months/ 17,000miles.

They originally rang me at midday and said, so , pick up on Wednesday at 5 pm still....? Given it was Monday and said I'd have to wait a month for a courtesy car.... I gave them some encouraging words along the lines of work a little harder... ;-)

Got it back at 7pm that day in the end.

To be fair, I don't know what the update did other than:
- the throttle response and feel was completely different

- on the HUD, I now have 3 dots where the SLI is

- the passenger door mirror now dips

- finally, the OTA map updates now work, after being told they couldn't do them.

So whether it was a patch, an upgrade, or simply a reboot I don't know, but they definitely did something. I seem to recall there was a line item on the invoice - I'll see if I can dig it out.

2 hours ago, G Whizz said:

They did one on mine when it was serviced, unasked for and uncharged. It was 18months/ 17,000miles.

They originally rang me at midday and said, so , pick up on Wednesday at 5 pm still....? Given it was Monday and said I'd have to wait a month for a courtesy car.... I gave them some encouraging words along the lines of work a little harder... ;-)

Got it back at 7pm that day in the end.

To be fair, I don't know what the update did other than:
- the throttle response and feel was completely different

- on the HUD, I now have 3 dots where the SLI is

- the passenger door mirror now dips

- finally, the OTA map updates now work, after being told they couldn't do them.

So whether it was a patch, an upgrade, or simply a reboot I don't know, but they definitely did something. I seem to recall there was a line item on the invoice - I'll see if I can dig it out.

Again, unless one is needed. Maybe there was something that the computer told them needs updating once plugged in

If we're talking 530d's then many older ones seem to need the high level oil fix at some point which is a software update, makes sense to combine with a service from a customer service perspective and savings against a call out/recovery cost. 

23 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Again, unless one is needed. Maybe there was something that the computer told them needs updating once plugged in

BMW updated mine twice in 6 months!! First one was after coding my new keys post theft; I can understand that one. But the second one was 6 months later after going in for a suspension clunk under warranty. I have no idea why they did that one but I neither wanted nor asked for it. 

On 10/04/2019 at 17:35, Boba said:

Booked in for the first service today. 2 years and about 7500 miles . Asked how long it would take and how much it would cost. “Can’t say until we see the car “ the receptionist told me, apparently because of condition-based servicing. Now the car’s done 7500 miles. Can it possibly need anything other than an oil change? Why make everything so complex? I want to wait for the car so it’d be nice to know how long I’ll be just like every other car I’ve ever owned.

(receptionist suggested I allow 2 hours “in case”). Eh?

My service indicator lit up saying "oil service" - 13,000 miles and 1.5 yrs old. I called and booked it in for an oil service, and asked for a fixed price for "an oil service". The girl said that that would include microfilters, I told her no - I will change those myself. JUST do an oil service.

Is yours requesting an oil service, or a vehicle inspection? My vehicle inspection is not due until 3 yrs old according my OBC - I won't own the car at that point but that's the one where I would expect them to tell me what is required once they've looked at it.

1 hour ago, mobilejo said:

BMW updated mine twice in 6 months!! First one was after coding my new keys post theft; I can understand that one. But the second one was 6 months later after going in for a suspension clunk under warranty. I have no idea why they did that one but I neither wanted nor asked for it. 

Have you got adaptive drive? That would require coding post change of components 

2 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Have you got adaptive drive? That would require coding post change of components 

No, std M Sport suspension. Still, you never know with these cars when the computer needs to be told about something new. It did have a new steering rack and with EPS, maybe the car has to be coded to the new rack or something...

Serviced today, oil and micro filter service, also got them to top up the AdBlue as I don’t do many miles and it’s not worth me faffing. They also did a cursory ‘car check’ reporting on things like tread depth, wiper blades, pad thickness and bodywork condition, plus replacing the key battery. Wonder how my wife’s is? Also a quick wash and vac - they’re not bad at washing, quite careful, rather than a single bucket and sponge ;) .

i was a bit surprised to see that both nearside tyres were approx 0.5mm down on the offside ones. I’ve just swapped them over when I took off the winter set so it’ll be interesting to see whether they even up a bit.

All for £270, parts etc. cost £122 of this.

However an interesting point is that the car feels quite different, more responsive, as though they’d taken a limiter off the engine somehow. Also the fuel consumption has perked up considerably. Although this is only a 20 mile run it’s one I do often and I could see the difference immediately on the ECO display on the various road stretches. I wonder what’s changed. It’ll be interesting to do a full to full comparison (I’ve been hovering around 39-40mpg on my mostly local average 38mph mileage).

1 hour ago, Boba said:

Serviced today, oil and micro filter service, also got them to top up the AdBlue as I don’t do many miles and it’s not worth me faffing. They also did a cursory ‘car check’ reporting on things like tread depth, wiper blades, pad thickness and bodywork condition, plus replacing the key battery. Wonder how my wife’s is? Also a quick wash and vac - they’re not bad at washing, quite careful, rather than a single bucket and sponge ;) .

i was a bit surprised to see that both nearside tyres were approx 0.5mm down on the offside ones. I’ve just swapped them over when I took off the winter set so it’ll be interesting to see whether they even up a bit.

All for £270, parts etc. cost £122 of this.

However an interesting point is that the car feels quite different, more responsive, as though they’d taken a limiter off the engine somehow. Also the fuel consumption has perked up considerably. Although this is only a 20 mile run it’s one I do often and I could see the difference immediately on the ECO display on the various road stretches. I wonder what’s changed. It’ll be interesting to do a full to full comparison (I’ve been hovering around 39-40mpg on my mostly local average 38mph mileage).

Thats a good price for oil and microfilters. The BMW service website quotes £220 for just the oil on mine (540i). I wonder if its cheaper for a 520d?

Which dealer did you use?

Harry Fairbairn (Kirkcaldy branch). First time with this car but I always used them with my others. Subsumed into the Arnold Clark group a while ago but no comparison with the parent. Sadly the old collect and deliver service isn’t so readily available nowadays though.

Edited by Boba

I have tried to research the life out of this subject and came across this discussion on your forum.  I want to purchase a 2019 530d tourer. I travel about 8k a year mixed driving. I like the torque etc of the 530d but according to all I’ve read I’m better suited to a petrol. One BIG issue that always comes up is the DPF. I’ve note that those commenting on this subject have also covered fewer miles. What are your thoughts. I have my mind set on the 530d tourer. 

3 hours ago, BMWK1300s said:

I have tried to research the life out of this subject and came across this discussion on your forum.  I want to purchase a 2019 530d tourer. I travel about 8k a year mixed driving. I like the torque etc of the 530d but according to all I’ve read I’m better suited to a petrol. One BIG issue that always comes up is the DPF. I’ve note that those commenting on this subject have also covered fewer miles. What are your thoughts. I have my mind set on the 530d tourer. 

This is a 1st Service thread so not specifically related to whether to buy a diesel or not but the subject has been covered many times before.

Your mind is set on a diesel so you are 90% there. So long as you regularly do a decent motorway drive where the car is up to full temperature and all the other parameters are such the the DPF regen is triggered there is little else to be worried about.

I had a 530d F11 which I only did 5000 miles a year in but the majority of those were longer motorway runs and the car was perfect for the 50000 miles I did in it.

On 31/08/2019 at 17:45, BMWK1300s said:

I know this is getting off-topic but here's my thruppence worth.

I only do about 8k miles/annum but, like you, I love the torque and the effortless character of the 530d. I'm 2 years in and I have no regrets about my engine choice.

I think you're best suited to what you like so go for the 530d and enjoy it. In the real world I'd say it's probably no slower than a 540i. The torque is really something.