rlowy

Alexa.....Do you use it?

Does anyone use the Alexa App and if so which functions do you make use of?

Regards

Richard

We have a Google Home and it's okay.  I used an Alexa at Christmas and I think it might have the edge.  The Home seems too serious and doesn't get requests right all the time although not as bad as Alexa - not sure if that's cause I was sh1tfaced at Christmas.  Doesn't tell you jokes either.  

The Alexa seems slightly more user friendly and understands well.  

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your reply. 

I meant Alexa in connection BMW Connected and it operating with various Bmw functions.

Regards

Richard

Edited by rlowy

Nope. My car is an early model so not built in but even if it was would be a pass. 

Out of voice commands, mine does everything I want it to do anyway. There is no reason for which Amazon, which already knows what films I watch, what food my dog eats and what cover I have on my phone to know where I drive to or what setting I like my ass heaters on. 

3 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

As above.

I've read a few articles about these things and how they can spy on you and record everything you say. 

My son who is hysterically sensitive (in every sense of hysterical) about security (it's to do with his job) reckons it is all an evil plot by the Chinese .................................... 

3 hours ago, dan101smith said:

Is it actually Alexa, or just voice control?

There is a video on here somewhere showing a demo of Amazon/Alexa in car; it is the USA though .................

4 hours ago, Mr H said:

There is a video on here somewhere showing a demo of Amazon/Alexa in car; it is the USA though .................

There you go:

It is Alexa integrated into voice control. Allows for more commands essentially and integrates Alexa into the voice control buttons in terms of Amazon features. i.e your driving along press the VC button and say "Alexa, add bog roll to my basket" etc

I’ve used standalone Alexa before and wasn’t impressed at the time (but that was a few years ago).

I’d be curious about trying it in the car - how do I know if my car is compatible and if so, how do you get it?

I don’t have the option so I guess I can’t use it then.

Was this an optional extra or something standard after a certain date?