ian.daw.37

Tow bar wirering

Hi all just brought a tow bar with vehicle specific wirering, and it says to plug into canbus link located in drivers foot well I have found a unused plug but it has 3 connectors and the colours dont correspond with the tow bar wirering the car colours are grey/red purple/brown grey with a thin brown line the tow bar colours are yellow and yellow/black hope somebody can help with this

Thanks in advance Ian

Sent from my AGS2-W09 using Tapatalk

Hi Ian

The towbar wiring is connected to the canbus wiring. From memory the canbus wire colours are green and orange or a combination of those colours. They are twisted together in the car which helps identify them. Westfalia who make the OEM towbar and wiring I'm sure connect into the canbus in the boot in an E60.

I have the Westfalia wiring instructions and I'll check them and get back to you.

You can get the wiring diagrams for your car in the link below 

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Enter the last 7 digits of your chassis number.

The Westfalia instructions I have for the E60, show the canbus connections on the car as being black and yellow.  Connection made in the boot, not the footwell on an E60.  

Its the Westfalia loom itself that has green and orange/green wires that connect to the car's canbus which are yellow and black twisted pair.

The Westfalia instructions I have for the E60, show the canbus connections on the car as being black and yellow.  Connection made in the boot, not the footwell on an E60.  

Its the Westfalia loom itself that has green and orange/green wires that connect to the car's canbus which are yellow and black twisted pair.
Thanks for that Andrew the instructions I have seem to be generic so am I looking for two wires just bound together with nothing connected I take it they should be on the same side as the battery

The canbus connection for the towbar isn't affected by its position relative to the battery. The canbus connection is a signal so that your towbar module knows what lights etc you are operating in the cockpit.  Its not a 12V battery supply so to speak.  The towbar module you have will need a 12V connection to the battery to power it though.

What make of wiring kit have you got?  Is it a module with only connection to the canbus or is it a bypass relay type which needs a signal form each of your cars rear lights?

The one to get is the Westfalia one where you will get your cars reverse sensors being switched off, the cars fog light switched off and trailer bulb failure indicated on the car when you are towing.

Mine is a Con Wys AG bought from norbrook tow bars it has two other wires apart from the ones used for the can bus connection it has battery and earth connections I just can't find where to plug the can bus wires into 510d0cd9d20d8e63a1e4b76b9cf1d452.jpg

The twisted can pair from your towbar module do not plug in anywhere. They get connected to the canbus wires in your car by means of the piggy back/scotch lock type connections. There is no plug and play I'm afraid. 

Looking at the picture it implies that you connect into the canbus in the boot underneath the fuse box in the wing or in that area. That matches the Westfalia instructions I have.

Is that all the instructions you have? Implication is you have a CD rom or something to view more on?

Looks like it.  The wires are twisted in an effort to cancel out any interference they may pick up.  Are they in the boot?

Test regularly as you fit things so you know it works.  Keep an eye on the dash for faults which it will sing out if you connect incorrectly.

Please don't feel you are being stupid, you aren't.   Its not the clearest of instructions you have there and I know I struggled initially fitting a canbus wiring kit on my dads F10 as it was the first canbus connection for a towbar I had done.

Looks like it.  The wires are twisted in an effort to cancel out any interference they may pick up.  Are they in the boot?

Test regularly as you fit things so you know it works.  Keep an eye on the dash for faults which it will sing out if you connect incorrectly.

Please don't feel you are being stupid, you aren't.   Its not the clearest of instructions you have there and I know I struggled initially fitting a canbus wiring kit on my dads F10 as it was the first canbus connection for a towbar I had done.
Thanks a lot for your help Andrew it is much appreciated. So it's just a case of tapping into the can bus cable, do I have to connect the other two wires as instructed to the brake light and one indicator?

You are welcome

Speaking from experience fitting a Westfalia kit to my dads F10 which is the same kit that Westfalia supply for the E60, the answer is no. 

Connect the module to the twisted yellow and black pair in your car and then test the socket on what ever you are towing. 

Connect your module via the canbus twisted pair only and test.  If you do not have all the lights working on your trailer/caravan then connect them up as per instruction.  You might not be able to test the socket just with a multimeter as the modules need to detect electrical load of the trailer lights before they will work properly 

The Westfalia system connects to the canbus identically like yours with and additional connection the brake light.  I spoke with Westfalia technical UK and they said you did not need to connect the Westfalia module to the (centre) brake light as it was a belt and braces approach. I found that out by testing as I hooked up the caravan and all lights worked just having connected the canbus twisted pair.  Yours may be similar. 

18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The Westfalia system connects to the canbus identically like yours with and additional connection the brake light.  I spoke with Westfalia technical UK and they said you did not need to connect the Westfalia module to the (centre) brake light as it was a belt and braces approach. I found that out by testing as I hooked up the caravan and all lights worked just having connected the canbus twisted pair.  Yours may be similar. 

Even the original BMW tow module is connected to brake light (center brake light signal). I assume this is a safety feature to have analog line for brake light signal in addition to bus connection.

27 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

I assume this is a safety feature to have analog line for brake light signal in addition to bus connection.

Yes, Westfalia technical told me that but it works without it.

Ideally it should be connected. Can't see the point of only connecting one indicator.

I struggled with the Westfalia instructions as the modules were in different locations (their instructions were for left hookers some of it is not a direct left/right swap) so when I queried it with them they said to leave out or connect to centre brake light, it does not need to go to the footwell connection as per their instructions.

On 09/04/2019 at 16:49, 535i Andrew said:

Yes, Westfalia technical told me that but it works without it.

Ideally it should be connected. Can't see the point of only connecting one indicator.

I struggled with the Westfalia instructions as the modules were in different locations (their instructions were for left hookers some of it is not a direct left/right swap) so when I queried it with them they said to leave out or connect to centre brake light, it does not need to go to the footwell connection as per their instructions.

Probably so it can tell the car the modules failed, bit random though.