Sign in to follow this  
Carrman2018

2019-2 Maps available on Upload Manager

2 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

As above - don't know what happened to 2019-1?

Thanks. Maybe why the site was down the other day?

So I’ve done the update. Still not caught up with the various new building around here though :-( .

Didnt bother waiting to see if it would autoupdate. Hasn’t done it in 2 years so I doubt if it’ll do it now.

Mine did the auto update for the UK maps a couple of month ago for the first time in a long while.

Noob questions here: How do I update my maps via USB (no indication in manual of how to download to USB and BMW Connected HUB doesn't offer this option)? How do I update maps for mainland Europe (BMW Connected Hub seems to say updates are for only one "preferred" Region)?

Remote Cockpit > Control > scroll down to Map Update > Manual Map Update.

Slow - takes about an hour and a quarter to download and another 20-30 minutes to unzip onto a stick.

Be aware that you need a 32Gb or larger stick formatted in FAT32 (a minor challenge in Windows 10).

Pop the stick in the car USB slot and start up. OK the update and it takes 15mins or so IIRC.

28 minutes ago, Boba said:

Remote Cockpit > Control > scroll down to Map Update > Manual Map Update.

Slow - takes about an hour and a quarter to download and another 20-30 minutes to unzip onto a stick.

Be aware that you need a 32Gb or larger stick formatted in FAT32 (a minor challenge in Windows 10).

Pop the stick in the car USB slot and start up. OK the update and it takes 15mins or so IIRC.

Cheers - just tried that but I only get an option of "Automatic Update" (which only allows me to set aforementioned "Preferred Region"); no option for Manual Update????

Extraordinary, 2 possibilities spring to mind.

1. Connected Drive seems to be up and down a bit ATM. Maybe a bug.

2. Check that the USB update is actually enabled in your options list . Should be I suppose.

Otherwise sounds like a call to Support.

Map updates seem to be a complete shambles. Whether you get them or not seems to be pot luck. My car (built Nov 2017) has never received an OTA update (despite the sales information saying that it should get OTA updates for 3 years from new). Initially, connected drive website said that OTA and USB updates were available to purchase for my car, but neither were enabled from new. BMW customer service said the same until I went through to their complaints section, who told me that my car should get updates and to go back to my dealer. Countless phone calls later (the sales rep at Sytner Coventry wasn't particularly interested once he had sold the car), a service visit for them to check my car's software (when they assured me that all was working properly) and then several more phone calls, they eventually got USB updates enabled for me. They never succeeded with OTA updates though, this has never worked and still doesn't. Connected drive website still says OTA is available to purchase but USB shows as enabled until Nov 2020.

I think with USB updates you get the full set of maps replaced, whereas with OTA updates you only get the new bits downloaded and somehow the car should integrate this into the existing maps. With USB updates, first you have to download and install BMW map download manager software. Then when you run this it downloads the maps etc as a zip file, and unzips them onto your USB stick. Mine refused onto a 32Gb stick (despite saying the file size was just under 32Gb) and I have to use a 64Gb stick. I have just downloaded 2019-2. As in post above, I have no idea what happened to 2019-1. My previous version was 2018-4. 

It's a relatively minor problem, but it's hugely annoying when an advertised feature doesn't work,  and both BMW customer services and the dealer couldn't really care less. It makes me a lot less likely to buy another BMW when I come to change! I can accept that things go wrong sometimes, but BMW's reluctance to accept it, denial,  and couldn't care less attitude is quite disgraceful.

On 07/04/2019 at 23:07, jonbee said:

Map updates seem to be a complete shambles. Whether you get them or not seems to be pot luck. My car (built Nov 2017) has never received an OTA update (despite the sales information saying that it should get OTA updates for 3 years from new). Initially, connected drive website said that OTA and USB updates were available to purchase for my car, but neither were enabled from new. BMW customer service said the same until I went through to their complaints section, who told me that my car should get updates and to go back to my dealer. Countless phone calls later (the sales rep at Sytner Coventry wasn't particularly interested once he had sold the car), a service visit for them to check my car's software (when they assured me that all was working properly) and then several more phone calls, they eventually got USB updates enabled for me. They never succeeded with OTA updates though, this has never worked and still doesn't. Connected drive website still says OTA is available to purchase but USB shows as enabled until Nov 2020.

I think with USB updates you get the full set of maps replaced, whereas with OTA updates you only get the new bits downloaded and somehow the car should integrate this into the existing maps. With USB updates, first you have to download and install BMW map download manager software. Then when you run this it downloads the maps etc as a zip file, and unzips them onto your USB stick. Mine refused onto a 32Gb stick (despite saying the file size was just under 32Gb) and I have to use a 64Gb stick. I have just downloaded 2019-2. As in post above, I have no idea what happened to 2019-1. My previous version was 2018-4. 

It's a relatively minor problem, but it's hugely annoying when an advertised feature doesn't work,  and both BMW customer services and the dealer couldn't really care less. It makes me a lot less likely to buy another BMW when I come to change! I can accept that things go wrong sometimes, but BMW's reluctance to accept it, denial,  and couldn't care less attitude is quite disgraceful.

My OTA update kicked in but thats all it did, it just sits there telling me the update is available but does nothing, it does not effect the operation of anything but will not upodate over last couple of weeks.

Connecteddrive advice is to take it to the dealer.... so whats the point of OTA then 

Given the dismal download speed from ConnectedDrive and the number of BMWs with OTA I don’t suppose the server can cope. BMW should stick to designing and assembling cars.

Very similar here, but with a twist. When I had my car serviced, I asked if they could finally sort it (I'd given up), but they said they "didn't have the user rights" to do so, and only I could do it.

One month later, while doing a particularly fraught journey in the rain and dark, relying on the sat nav....yep, you guessed it - it updated and rebooted. It's done one update since. It just suddenly asks if I'd like to use the new data - no other indication it's doing anything.

Can any of you log into the connected drive website? I've tried on a laptop, desktop and mobile device and get an error when trying to get to the login page...

1 hour ago, A2EEM said:

Can any of you log into the connected drive website? I've tried on a laptop, desktop and mobile device and get an error when trying to get to the login page...

Must have been down temporarily. Working now.

You do know a 32GB memory stick doesn't actually hold 32GB of data? Once formatted it will only hold approximately 29.7GB of data which is why the USB upload process couldn't accept the 32GB USB stick.

So you successfully wrote the update to a USB stick and got all of the car's maps updated rather than just a portion of the Map data if you'd used OTA, but because the OTA part didn't work and BMW couldn't fix it you would forgo a BMW vehicle in the future? In my opinion (and my opinion only) this is a bit of an extreme reaction? Doesn't the rest of what is a well engineered car with one of, if not, the best infotainment systems make this issue pale into insignificance?

My download fitted fine onto a 32Gb stick all the same - do different downloads perhaps have slightly different sizes? Or maybe sticks differ slightly?

Matthew I think you’re missing @A2EEM‘s point really, which is that for a premium marque BMW’s customer service is poor and their dealer network certainly seems to have a declining reputation. If any evidence were needed, the shocking episode of BMW fires for which they disclaimed all responsibility for years before being forced into a huge safety recall says it all. FWIW it annoys the hell out of me that OTA hasn’t worked and wastes my time working around it especially when the dealer just shrugged and said it was a common problem with no fix.

Edited by Boba

If a car is advertised as having a particular feature I expect it to be there and working. If it doesn't work then I expect the dealer and BMW customer services to be apologetic ,helpful and try to get it sorted. Instead they are in denial, give the impression that they couldn't care less, and are not helpful.  I have no reason to believe that things would be any different if something serious had gone wrong, and the recent horror stories about the EGR replacement programme seem to confirm this. 

I personally get really annoyed with the process of using a memory stick to do an update, to the point where I can't be bothered any more. It seems OTA happens occasionally, so I will probably leave it at that and deal with any mapping issues if they occur. It really shouldn't be that hard, but it sometimes makes me wonder how safe the driver assistance actually is,  if they can't get their update downloads sorted. 

On 09/04/2019 at 22:10, Boba said:

My download fitted fine onto a 32Gb stick all the same - do different downloads perhaps have slightly different sizes? Or maybe sticks differ slightly?

Matthew I think you’re missing @A2EEM‘s point really, which is that for a premium marque BMW’s customer service is poor and their dealer network certainly seems to have a declining reputation. If any evidence were needed, the shocking episode of BMW fires for which they disclaimed all responsibility for years before being forced into a huge safety recall says it all. FWIW it annoys the hell out of me that OTA hasn’t worked and wastes my time working around it especially when the dealer just shrugged and said it was a common problem with no fix.

Nope, I didn't miss the point - and just for clarity it was @jonbee’s  point I was responding to.

The small number of fires due to the EGR cooler leaking has nothing to do with OTA map updates not working. One is a mechanical component flaw that could have a devastating result and BMW is dealing with it. The other is just an inconvenience and to my mind doesn't take away the enjoyment of owning a premium car - there is an alternate method of updating. 

Maybe my experience is so much better due to an excellent dealer in Coopers Tunbridge Wells. I've been going there for 9 years and have only had a good experience - 3 cars in. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton