KFC1000

Joining the G30 Club (Hopefully)

Hello All,

I am hoping to join the G30/G31 club and am looking for advice. I have found a well optioned low mileage G30 and it is reasonably priced. My only concern is that it has had two owners in 2 years (1st owner 4mths and the 2nd owner 20 mths).  The car is a 530i M Sport (PJ17 NDG) with the Tech Pack, Comfort Pack and Remote Parking at the links below. It is registered in March 2017 so on the plus side it avoids the £320 VED but on the downside it is an early build and I am unsure if there have been issues with early models. I am hoping that the forum maybe able to offer advice as to what to look for when I view it (I am 159 miles from the dealership) and maybe let me know if this car has had history (good or bad) on this forum.

https://www.stratstone.com/search/vehicledetails/used-car-bmw-5 series--automatic-petrol-blue-saloon-PJ17NDG/

or

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201810111410471?location=Andover SP10 3SD, UK&quoteref=cecde840-90de-4c97-9ce1-b05323f09f9f

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by KFC1000

When i read G30 and 2 owners I had a feeling it would be this car. When i bought my G30 in January, this one kept popping up as i was looking for a 530i with a heads up display. One thing i can confirm for you is that it was advertised at approx £31k in January. So they are struggling to get rid of it.

I bought my 2012 F30 from Stratstone in Doncaster. The salesman wasn't knowledgeable at all. He kept telling me he just transferred over from Vauxhall over the road but it was a "mint" car. 

Stratstone do have an option to get the car moved to a Stratstone dealership closer to you. Not sure if there is a cost. But as its been advertised for at least 3 months, I wouldn't be surprised if they drove it to your house! :D

I wouldnt discount the fact that it had two owners. Yes it has an impact on price, however, the first owner may have been the dealership as a demo 530i or one of the managers cars (they tend to keep motors between 4 and 6 months).

Overall though, I would pass this one as it has no M sport plus pack so lack the HK sound system. I would also aim to get a car with the Adaptive LED's tbh. Well worth the premium as both options make driving more pleasurable and safer in terms of the lights

7 hours ago, sjak92 said:

I wouldnt discount the fact that it had two owners. Yes it has an impact on price, however, the first owner may have been the dealership as a demo 530i or one of the managers cars (they tend to keep motors between 4 and 6 months).

Overall though, I would pass this one as it has no M sport plus pack so lack the HK sound system. I would also aim to get a car with the Adaptive LED's tbh. Well worth the premium as both options make driving more pleasurable and safer in terms of the lights

Agree about both M sport plus and Adaptive LED’s I’ve seen a few posts about how poor the standard LED’s are

5 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

Agree about both M sport plus and Adaptive LED’s I’ve seen a few posts about how poor the standard LED’s are

Poor in relation to what I wonder - not quite like driving in daylight granted but bloody good all the same......

They're pretty poor in the rain and dark. Not a patch on the previous f10 xenons I'm afraid - half the light output which is why they don't need headlight washers as std. 

11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Poor in relation to what I wonder - not quite like driving in daylight granted but bloody good all the same......

I don’t know about the standard LEDs but the Icon lights are quite good and the ‘dancing’ patterns do help a lot in dark wet conditions with oncoming traffic. On dark country roads however I don’t find that even the Icon lights are very good compared with my last car’s xenons which quite simply had a greater reach.

No doubt the ICON's are better, but I find the standard LED's fine - after coming from a 4 series which had the xenons, i don't notice anything to complain about (And I did worry about it pre-delivery)

HK is an absolute must though, for sure.

19 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

I’m only going by what I’ve read, agree it’s all subjective just seem to have read more bad things than good about the standard ones. 

4 months ownership could mean it was a demonstrator.  I always thought they were good deals, but the sales dude said no dont buy them , the drivers thrash them before they are broken in. 

I dont think it means a lot - I would just take it as 24 months previous ownership. 2 owners OK , 3 owners getting risky

a 530i is a slow seller - you dont see many about, so that could be why its discounted. If you are happy with the engine and dont want a 520d it looks to be a bargain .  2 litre *petrol* displacement is pretty common in Jaguar Land Rover and Volvo 

Edited by Carrera77

On 03/04/2019 at 19:12, sjak92 said:

This^^

Someone at BMW should be shot for how bad the standard lights are.

3 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

This^^

Someone at BMW should be shot for how bad the standard lights are.

wow - maybe the first owner returned it after 4 months in disgust at how bad the lights are

depends on where you drive I suppose

I genuinely think that the standard LED's are significant worse. I test drove cars with both and in February 2017 (initially) the standard lights have a far shorter reach, are dimmer and seem to fade at the top of their range if that makes sense. The adaptive are sharp throughout. I would go as far as saying that the standard Xenon's on my old F10 (non adaptive) were actually better (except for flashing headlights from an off position as the xenon needs to warm up whereas the LED is instant) 

By far the best option on the car you can tick. I put it far above stuff like adaptive drive and HUD. 

BMW have realised how poor these are and rectified to an extent with some models. 6 GT comes with adaptive as standard, so does the new 7 series. The X5 does not however, which is disappointing, its still a £700 or so option but still well worth it. 

Laser lights on the other side, which are far more expensive, are in my opinion, not worth it. I had them on a G11 Loaner and while they were great, not significantly better than adaptive LED's except for the distance of the beam. 

I was one of the few that found the F10 Halogens OK (I drove within their capabilities).

Then I had an F10 with Xenons (wow)..

Then a G30 with Icon LEDs (double wow)...

Easily pleased I suppose ( I remember pre Halogen headlights!)

1 hour ago, Carrman2018 said:

Easily pleased I suppose ( I remember pre Halogen headlights!)

Ah yes! I remember how great the sealed beams were when they came in. But my eyes were better back then too ;) .

2 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

I remember pre Halogen headlights!

Like these?

8152B758-E9C0-45C0-95B4-A97401C0077E.jpeg

Don't read too much significance into length of ownership. I had my X5 50i X-drive for 19 days only. I just didn't get on with it and traded it on. No issues, it just wasn't for me. Sometimes it happens (or sometimes us owners are twerps and get seduced by big growly V8s!)

Edited by Hal9000

Ah yes, takes me back, mine was an ‘H’ reg., is ‘N’ still the 150hp injection model or the detuned  one?

Damn quick for its day with handling a bit like a brick on a string with that big lump up front.

When it was rebuilt the engine was updated to 150 bhp as indeed from original it was 125bhp. You have to pay a lot of money now to get  that Triumph straight six sound, modern cars just don’t have it