Ace5

E39 Sill rust

Hi,

I know this might be a 'how longs a piece of string question', but any idea on the best way to approach repairing the rust pictured? Hopefully not too expensive. any recommendation for Essex, or London near Romford where someone can have a look?

Front nearside, I couldn't remove the jacking point pin as it's been butchered, so might need drilling out?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

IMO get this to a few bodyshops and ask them to quote you; it looks superficial in some places, but it could be a lot worse when the covers are removed.

Prices can vary, wildly at times, so best not to guestimate and speak to the pro's instead and see what they say, hopefully it can be sorted without having to replace too much metal :) 

Could be £300, could be £800 - depends how much needs cutting out and how far in it goes (if it goes up the return to the floor pan other stuff like fuel tanks and brake lines have to come off)

Cheers,
Rob

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. We had a passing in the family so this slipped my mind as not important for a while, but need to get back to it. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've removed the covers and it appears to be predominantly  around the front jacking points. I've taken it to one rust repair place/person and they were all keen and seemed to think minimal work and then disappeared and ignored calls. So didn't chase them more than twice to pay them for work.

It appears to be just around the front jacking points. I think this might be down to the car having a sunroof fitted.

With wheel arch liners outs, fuel tank area seems good, wheel arches etc seem good.

The one chap I did speak to seemed to suggest cutting the whole jacking point before proceeding, or ignore, so not sure sound advice and perhaps didn't want the work.

Photos start from read offside to front offside, then read nearside to front nearside. sorry for screenshot, was easiest way to shrink photos and send to work email to post online

If anyone has any recommendations for someone to take a look in Essex that would be great.

Thanks again.

IMG_4915.PNG

IMG_4916.PNG

IMG_4917.PNG

IMG_4918.PNG

IMG_4919.PNG

IMG_4920.PNG

IMG_4921.PNG

IMG_4925.PNG

IMG_4926.PNG

IMG_4927.PNG

IMG_4928.PNG

IMG_4929.PNG

IMG_4930.PNG

IMG_4931.PNG

IMG_4936.PNG

IMG_4937.PNG

IMG_4938.PNG

IMG_4939.PNG

IMG_4940.PNG

IMG_4941.PNG

IMG_4942.PNG

IMG_4946.PNG

IMG_4947.PNG

IMG_4948.PNG

IMG_4949.PNG

IMG_4950.PNG

IMG_4951.PNG

I confess I can't see much from those pictures, but my advice (based on my own recent experience) is to double in your head the amount of expected work. Mine turned out to be much, much worse than expected once the flappy wheel came out and I had three out of four jacking points completely rebuilt. From what I can work out, the supports in the jacking points come loose causing the sills to fold and crack the underseal, which then lets moisture in and they rust from the inside out. Mine were actually held together by underseal in places.