gazzago

F11 powder coated wheels

Had my alloys powder coated. From the usual silver to anthracite. 

Yes 18’s or 19’s look great but the roads are terrible in my area and this is a workhorse so I want the reasonable comfort of 17’s. Plus I don’t want to spend all that dosh to upgrade just yet :)

Finish is fantastic on them. Anyway here’s a few pics. 

0AB300F2-D88C-4044-9979-059CB5184B41.jpeg

574E1336-DE6D-4384-B724-4FBE671E7219.jpeg

334BDF78-B500-4C26-8D10-DA367DF6255F.jpeg

Hi there, these look really great. I'm in agreement about the comfort. I really want the look of the 19s I had on my previous f10 but the ride on 18s (with non runflats) in my f11 is just too good to sacrifice.

That being the case, I'm planning on getting them powder coated and I'm after some advice on how to go about it. I was under the impression they would need to have the whole wheel without tyres but apparently, this isn't necessarily the case. Do they just coat the face and lip or does the coating cover all potentially visible parts? I've been quoted £50/wheel with tyres on and an extra £10 per wheel to remove them, do the work and then replace and rebalance. Obviously the money is negligible but is it worth the extra time and hassle? Thanks in advance.

Edited by jannism

To powder coat the wheels the tyres must be off. The only decision is do you have the tyres removed elsewhere or pay the wheel Refurb company £10 per wheel to remove them? 

I guess that depends if you are posting the wheels or just dropping them off. I’d let the wheel refurb company remove and refit them if you can. They’ll be careful as they’ve just refurbed the wheel.

Edited by gazzago

Thanks for the swift reply. That makes sense. I'm going to have to drive in as I only have one set of wheels and I had a rather confusing phone call with a woman at the workshop that planted the seed of doubt in my mind in the first place.

39 minutes ago, gazzago said:

They’ll be careful as they’ve just refurbed the whee.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Nice one, cheers. Should be getting it done next week. Pics to follow...

Edited by jannism

Those wheels look great. And I agree that sacrificing the ride comfort of the 17" wheels, unless you have adaptive suspension, is not worth it.

Plus 225/55 17 tyres are as cheap as chips.

Wheels look nice !I'm having mine done the same Anthracite on Thursday at Raw-Wheels.co.uk on the A19 just south of York.

leave the car at 8 o'clock pick up late afternoon @ £60.00 per wheel seems a fair price!

just need to think about the radiator grill that is looking ready for some attention !

Black seems to be the best option

Anyone replaced there's I presume its plastic and not to difficult to get out !

cheers

@OAPINGT Check out newtis for instructions on how to remove the grill.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f07-530d-sat/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-13-trim-parts-covers-handle-strip/B9Y2SeWk

I've read that it's easier if the engine is warm as it helps the plastic flex a bit more.