PJAY

Tailgate plastic trim removal

I have a new micro switch for my tailgate window,  but after looking at tutorials everywhere, here and YT,  i cannot find one that is the same as my own trim, and this is where i fell down. I can get the micro switch off the tailgate still attached by wiring,  but it was the trim removal that stumped me.

There were about 10 or 12  ( didnt count ) mini phillips screws, plus two black pop out connectors, but that's as far as i could get.  The trim just wouldnt budge after that. Having never removed the trim on mine before, i was dubious about getting a screwdriver in the gaps and levering in case this wasnt the way to get  this piece off.  I might well be missing something but i  dont know what it is. Once i've done it once, next time will be fine but right now, i'm lost,  so i cannot get to the small connector for the window micro switch

Edited by PJAY

This stumped me this first time I tried it. Had to put it all back together. The second time I succeeded. If you open the glass and lift off the plastic cover you can get at two more screws that hold the rest of the main cover in place. 

Thanks stew ... i think i saw on here how to open the tailgate glass when the switch is knackered

There is a video out there on youtube that helped me get the rear window open by sticking a small screw driver into a little hole thats basically the release for the window. 

hold on ill find you the link.

Just as a reminder i i had to pry the trim just enough to get my arm in and about 1 hour later and having used up every swear word i basically know i got the c**t open 

Thanks chap

Funny enough, i saw that in my search, but the video is so small and a bit dark,  i found hard to see what he was doing,  but maybe i ought to give it another go. 

Just now, PJAY said:

Thanks chap

Funny enough, i saw that in my search, but the video is so small and a bit dark,  i found hard to see what he was doing,  but maybe i ought to give it another go. 

Thats what i said also. But its the only one that helped me. go in from the left hand side and pry the trim with whatever you can. Luckily for me i have somewhat skinny forearms and it only took a small watch screwdrived to put in there but i think a coat hanger will work. Just have to find the right hole. Its going to suck, trust me but dont give up 

Well, it's always possible, but i only have a phone, so probably wont look any better than the above. Might be worth a try though

1 hour ago, PJAY said:

Well, it's always possible, but i only have a phone, so probably wont look any better than the above. Might be worth a try though

Let us know if you got it open or perhaps you found an easier way

Just out of interest, this is the glass micro switch, and it looks slightly different to the one still attached. Was it an upgrade  , does anyone know ?

20190401_215313.jpg

I think it is with them fitting several models that they stop doing the one for the E6x series as the G series will fit, something like that anyway. Probably redesigned due to the failure rate

I just removed the switch cut the wires and shorted them together to open the glass part after my switch gave up