Changy

Fusebox behind glove box

Hi all

Perhaps I am doing something wrong so I will seek advice from people with more knowledge. I fitted a dash-cam to my 2004 e60 530d and concealed the wire via the roof and door pillar trim so I could get to the fusebox behind the glovebox. That was easy but then I couldn't find a fuse connection which would only supply power with the ignition on. With the ignition off I took a multi-meter and checked the voltages; they were all positive :-o

I guess it is not the end of the world but then I occasionally forget to remove the dash-cam and if I get the high battery discharge warning. Yes. I should be more mindful and remove it but is there a fuse connection which should be "ignition on" only?

Sorry for such a boring topic but I would like to get this sorted if possible

Thanks in advance

Changy

This is a common topic, there is no switched live in the front fuse box. For some bizarre reason the cigarette lighter fuse which (as far as I know) is the only switched live, is in the rear fuse box in the boot. So your options are either wire back to that, or tap in to the cigarette lighter wiring under the centre console, which is also not very easy. Apparently there is a switched live on some plug connected to the brake pedal, but I don't want to mess around with that.

There is switched power at the rear view mirror. It was mentioned in a recent post HERE. It's not a guide, but proves concept. I did mine a while back and can't remember the exact wire I tapped into but Google is your friend.

Keliuss

Ditto what has been said already.

I have used a piggyback fuse holder in fuse 66 as this powers down after about 30-45 minutes. You can use any fuse there, I only chose 66 as it doesn't power anything in my car.

Here is a fuse piggyback which is available on a well know auction on the interweb.

RgdS Paj

image.png.15ba680d787dd32fa19e167f5d1b3755.png

Thank you so much. I read some of the other posts and they mentioned a delayed power off. I’ve been thinking about that and your post is good news. I have a similar piggy back unit so I’ll try fuse 66 when I get back.