mark6411

Radiator replacement E28 520i 1987

Hi all,

I have a replacement radiator on its way due to springing a leak on the current one. I've not changed one before and wondering if it's straight forward. I can only see three pipes; inlet, outlet and one to the expansion tank, and the radiator looks like it's secured by one bolt at the top only. The bottom of the radiator just appears to sit resting in a lip so it can't move, though it doesn't seem overly rigid.

I can't find any videos on the net, anyone have a link to one, or offer some advice?

Thanks.

Hello Mark,

There are two bolts, one each side of the radiator toward the top. These are actually hex headed self tappers that screw into speed fasteners ( BMW call them "body nuts" ).

At the bottom of the radiator are two lugs that engage into two rubber mounts in a cross member.

Always a good idea to flush out your cooling system before replacing coolant and bleed afterwards.

Kind regards,

Taffy 

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've got a bigger issue now. The radiator delivered was about 2" too high, core was 375mm in height but was advertised at 315mm. Mine measures up at W450 x H315mm and I can't seem to find one other than from BMW.

I've tried some companies for a repair but to no avail, and a company that is confident of making one but the cost is pretty much the same as a new one from Cotswold BMW.

I don't know where to turn on this one, have you come across this before?

Hi Mark,

The radiators are different between a manual and an automatic car.  The automatic radiator has an integrated transmission oil cooler at the bottom.

This could be a source of your problems if this results in them being different sizes.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick,

it appears it's purely the core that is different. There isn't any real size difference in the plastic part at the bottom.

This one was a Nissens radiator. I've looked on their website and they don't make one with a 315mm high core.

Hi Mark,

When you get around to fitting your replacement radiator it is worthwhile flushing the system while it is open.

I have used BMW coolant in my cars since 1984 without an issue.  The blue coolant includes corrosion inhibitors because the engine is a collection of dissimilar metals filled with a mild electrolytic fluid waiting to corrode.  BMW recommend changing the coolant every 2 or 3 years.  My understanding is that at this age the coolant will still cool but the corrosion inhibits are spent, hence the recommended coolant change.

While you are in this region of the engine it may be worth changing the timing belt if it is close to the change interval.  If you are changing the timing belt then it is also worth considering exchanging the water pump as well.

Break into the system once and complete all time related maintenance tasks then replace the coolant.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

I've got both a 520i manual and a 525e eta auto radiator., knocking about. Apart from the transmission oil cooler fitting on the bottom of the rad, they are both the same size, 315mm.   

Hi John,

I've committed to getting one made up locally, in fact it was only yesterday morning when I visited the bloke and agreed the price etc.

That's a shame though as I'd have had one off you. Thanks.

I changed the cambelt and water pump about this time last year, so I'm ok for those, cheers Mick