Lloydy

E28 temperature control valve - help needed!

Hi all, I originally replaced the cabin temp control valve as it was stuck on hot. since then, i have had 3 new ones (from main dealer) and they have lasted less than 500 miles, the last one only did 50 miles before it started leaking from the same place. Do you think these are just a dodgy batch or could something else be causing it? Never had the problem before until i replaced with the new ones. 

temp valve.jpg

Hi Lloydy,

There is a lot of chatter over on mye28.com about this very subject and the consensus seems to be poorly manufactured replacement parts.

There is mention of using a similar "Water Valve" from another model as an alternative solution.

There is also a replacement "Valve" option (item 21) which you can use if you have a good crack free "Water Valve" body (item 2).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=4242-EUR-11-1987-E28-BMW-525e&diagId=64_0106

HEATER-AIR COND.SYST.-WATER VALVE/PUMP

I had the constant heat in the cabin issue with the Zobelbraun Eta in late 2016, which is indicative of the internal valve (item 21) failure (perished rubber).

Already being aware of the questionable quality of the replacement "Water Vale" as a complete unit (item 2) I opted to replace the internal "Valve" (item 21) as my "Water Valve" body was in good condition.  I have driven less than 1000 miles on it since but still fully serviceable 2 1/2 years later.

The disappointing part about this is BMW's apparent lack of activity in addressing what is obviously a quality control issue with there supplier.  Replacing defective replacement parts with more of the same defective replacement parts is not addressing the fundamental cause, merely responding to the effect. 

To the best of my knowledge this issue has been around for more than 4 years without resolution, and must surely be harming the reputation of BMW.

Once all of these defective replacements parts are expended with this also be made "No Longer Available", time will tell.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Mick

^^^

Your welcome,

One of the benefits of the shared knowledge of a common subject that this great Forum provides.

"community of interest"

Try "Tim's" and If you have trouble sourcing a "Water Valve" body in the UK, then try Andy "south26" on "mye28.com" as he breaks E28's and may be able to help you.  Failing this then try a wanted add in the "For Sale / Wanted" section of "mye28.com".

I have had several parts from Andy in the last few years, delivered to both the UK and subsequently Canada, and recommend him without hesitation.

Regards,

Mick

Well here I am again. On the back of my last message i had the Temp control valve replaced by Rybrook BMW under warranty, and guess what, after 200 miles it's leaking again, always from the same place. They are happy to replace again but it's always the same, non-branded part they put back on. My original one was a Bosch branded part which i wish i had kept as it didn't leak, was just the internals worn and stuck on hot. I've got in touch with Tim and Ivo to see if they have one, but failing that does anyone know of a spare one anywhere? Or is there an alternative that can be fitted as i'm losing the will to live with BMW now?

Many thanks,

Darren 

I gave up with these years ago. They're just crap. The last one I had was a 525e, and I just fitted a 518/518i mechanical heater valve - you need the valve and the heater control panel with the bowden cable. 

Exotic it isn't, reliable it is. 

That’s great to know, much appreciated. Was wondering if I could ever feel the car would be reliable again. It never has let me down in 20 years (prior to that owned by my father since ‘85) and this one weak spot is incredibly annoying. 

I’ll keep you all posted! 

13 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Parts needed are:

Valve 64211368650

Cable 64111367698

Control 64111373938

About two hours work, and it'll never go wrong again. 

Not all M10 and M20 powered car's seem to have this different set up, or not that I have observed

Most M10's without AC have it. All the 518i's I ever had did anyway. The bits are available new except the bowden cable but you can get a suitable cable elsewhere. 

All M20/30 cars have the electro heater valve as do M10's with AC. 

You’re spot on, unfortunately I binned the old one as I rightly thought a genuine Bmw part would work. I have now sourced a Bosch one off Tim and I’ll rebuild that if need be - Fingers crossed.

Rybrook Bmw wont give me my money back as they want to replace again no doubt with the same poor part, it’s booked in on 25th and I’m gonna tell them this is the last time or I want money back.