Cadwell Parker

F20 120d sport issues?

Can't see a specific F20 section so posting here for some advice.

Mrs CP is considering  120d sport on a 13 plate with 55000 miles. Any potential isssues with these cars we should be aware of?

Edited by Cadwell Parker
Additional info

If you need the Diesel, personally I would hold off and try and get one with the B47 engine, it's a massive improvement over its predecessors in terms of refinement. 

But for £1k down and £399 a month you can have this 1 Series.

image.jpg

Some dealers are even doing it for £375 down and £375 pcm.

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If you need the Diesel, personally I would hold off and try and get one with the B47 engine,

Thanks for the tip but Mrs CP can be impulsive. She saw the car, liked it, drove it, fell in love with it and bought it there and then. There was no holding her back. We'd actually gone to the dealer in question to see an Audi A3 S-line. The BMW was parked right next to the Audi and she liked the look of it straight away so we decided to have a drive in that as well. The Audi was quite disappointing but the BMW was very nice indeed and has a few nice options. Fingers crossed it won't be too problematic. She's picking it up tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Thanks for the tip but Mrs CP can be impulsive. She saw the car, liked it, drove it, fell in love with it and bought it there and then. There was no holding her back. 

Buying a 1 Series Diesel, is that not grounds for divorce?:D

On 3/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Buying a 1 Series Diesel, is that not grounds for divorce?:D

Heh heh... It drives a lot more nicely than the other cars she though she wanted. The dealer claimed it makes 180bhp but a vin search shows only 135bhp. There are a few other anomalies in the search as well so I'm not totally convinced of the accuracy of this.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, SuperDave said:

Ha ha. Wife had a 120d for six years and thought it was a hoot until the kids outgrew it! 

I had a go at driving it on our test the other day. It's actually quite fun. Collected it yesterday...

8HjOHFkA8Sva6ezkekBfmL-DLsq9wz2vI1EIsvQy

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Oooooohh it's a red one! 

That adds 30bhp straight away. :D

Told you it was fun. Just needs some stripes down the side now and it'll be a flying machine :lol:

If it’s a 13 plate, it will definitely be an N47, but I am not sure what state of tune it might be? My understanding was that if it is badged 120d then it should be 184bhp same as it is in F30/F31, F10/F11s. 

You sure it is not 134kw? That is 180hp. 

With that engine I would just make sure you change the oil every 10k or so, don't listen to BMW, the chain tensioner fails due to their extended oil changes. 

Apart from that though they are great engines really. Might not be as refined as the later B47, but far better economy wise. 

3 hours ago, gIzzE said:

You sure it is not 134kw? That is 180hp. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, GStarrr said:

if it is badged 120d then it should be 184bhp

Yes, I was reading the figure wrong, assuming it was quoting bhp when in fact it was kw.

3 hours ago, gIzzE said:

With that engine I would just make sure you change the oil every 10k or so

Good advice, thanks. I need to check with the dealer whether they changed the oil. Mrs CP didn't think to check :shock:  If they didn't it's got another 5000 miles or so left before it'll need done. I've heard the timing chain horror stories so I know this is something you need to keep on top of.

3 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Apart from that though they are great engines really. Might not be as refined as the later B47, but far better economy wise.

It does go quite well. Was it these engines which are said to have a very narrow band of useable grunt and so rather torturous when coupled to a manual gearbox? From the limited experience I've had of the car so far the engine/gearbox combination seem to work well together, the 8 speed 'box helping to extract the best of what the engine has to offer.

If it says only 5000 miles left just get an oil change done now. 

I would change it at least every 10k miles. 

Isn't any diesel like that with a manual gearbox? 

I just find diesel/manual combos too much hard work, heavier clutch, around 1500rpm of useable rev range so you are constantly swapping cogs, unless on the motorway where you can use the torque in leave it in 6th, but for me it really has to be an auto when it comes to diesel.