Sign in to follow this  
Carrera77

If you complain about BMW options

It could be a lot worse. In all fairness a "poverty spec" Beemer is perfectly safe

from the New York Times

Doomed Jets Lacked 2 Key Safety Features That Boeing Sold as Extras

As the pilots of the doomed Boeing jets in Ethiopia and Indonesia fought to control their planes, they lacked two notable safety features in their cockpits.

One reason: Boeing charged extra for them.

For Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers, the practice of charging to upgrade a standard plane can be lucrative. Top airlines around the world must pay handsomely to have the jets they order fitted with customized add-ons.

Sometimes these optional features involve aesthetics or comfort, like premium seating, fancy lighting or extra bathrooms. But other features involve communication, navigation or safety systems, and are more fundamental to the plane’s operations.

Many airlines, especially low-cost carriers like Indonesia’s Lion Air, have opted not to buy them — and regulators don’t require them.

Now, in the wake of the two deadly crashes involving the same jet model, Boeing will make one of those safety features standard as part of a fix to get the planes in the air again.

54 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

I think given where safety is going, Driving assistant plus should be standard across the range...you get that on a middle spec Golf!

possibly yeah driving assistance tech should be the best available . Nice seats  and speakers are always optional

but in the case of Boeing apparently there is a warning light when two sensors reading the same parameter disagree - and that is an option :lol: 

Pretty scary really, sounds like Boeing have been far too close to their own approvals processes. 

Not that Im a fan of some of the driver assist help particularly, my G31 was almost rear-ended when it decided to slam on the anchors last week nearing a queue in the next lane over. Wife's VW regularly does similar.

17 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Pretty scary really, sounds like Boeing have been far too close to their own approvals processes. 

Not that Im a fan of some of the driver assist help particularly, my G31 was almost rear-ended when it decided to slam on the anchors last week nearing a queue in the next lane over. Wife's VW regularly does similar.

It can be turned off...I have mine set to brake only during parking style manoeuvres, and it's been useful at times.

So isn't that a waste. Such a system should be switched on permanently to its full capability becasue its based on the premise of the unforeseen .

Controlling parking style manoeuvres is based on parking sensors which use ultrasound. All the other tech is based on a number of small radar units

I have a similar kind of dilemma with Sport mode. The times when I think I should be in Sport mode I'm not :) 

3 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

So isn't that a waste. Such a system should be switched on permanently to its full capability becasue its based on the premise of the unforeseen .

Controlling parking style manoeuvres is based on parking sensors which use ultrasound. All the other tech is based on a number of small radar units

Agreed but it's twice brake checked the guy behind at some speed and almost caused an accident itself, so afraid it's turned right down. I'll use my eyes and anticipation while I can. 

The wifes vw definitely saved a couple of car park contacts however! 

18 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Agreed but it's twice brake checked the guy behind at some speed and almost caused an accident itself, so afraid it's turned right down. I'll use my eyes and anticipation while I can. 

The wifes vw definitely saved a couple of car park contacts however! 

I’d say there’s something wrong with your system then - I had the VAG equivalent fitted to my previous Skoda Superb and it worked faultlessly for 2 years, and actually totally saved me from a rear end on the A40 when I wasn’t concentrating after a sh1te day at work. Never once did it malfunction like you’ve said above.

You’ve got a warranty, so best get it checked out mate. 

I've had run ins with mine too. One when driving down a double parked road, right hand side was parked up, left was free.

Car decided that the beige mini was going to get crashed into so slammed the brakes on causing many poos to come out and a bullocking from my wife.

Did the same thing with pedestrains that had already crossed a zebra crossing the other day, they had cleared it by a good 4/5ft and the car slammed its breaks on. The van behind me nearly went into the back of me causing the the driver to honk, flash his lights and gesticulate that I'm a wanker. Don't blame him to be honest, I would have though it was a break check.

If it throws a hissy fit like that again its going in. Mind you, I did tell the service about it after the first time but they said it was a one off. Clearly not.

So car actually threw a hissy fit again yesterday afternoon. 

Straight on the phone to BMW who, due to this being a safety feature, sent BMW Assist out last night. 

The guy checked the car, found several errors with the KAFAS camera along the lines of mis-detected objects, camera unresponsive etc. 

His reply? Give the windscreen a clean and clear errors. May I also add that car was washed on Saturday afternoon but apparently even dust can throw this stuff off according to him.

i call bullshit on that as rain and high beam assist works absolutely fine, latter also using the KAFAS camera. 

As soon as it happens again I’m to call them back, hopefully someone doesn’t rear end me on that occasion!

P o s s I b l y .....

It’s  just about conceivable that the collision detection logic is set to be more immediate than rain or high-beam sensing, but it sounds more like a fault. The cameras must be forever getting bits of this and that flying at or past them.

There could be a fault but 

It looks like the KAFAS camera doesnt really understand objects in a low contrast environment. High beam assist is a higher contrast environment ( darkness/ blackness and white objects)

Remember when they talk about AI and autonomous driving there is a looong way to go

Well the clean windscreen theory is a load of bullocks. Caught me out twice again today, throwing warning on an open road.

@sjak92 is yours just running the standard fit drivers assistance system or have you optioned driving asssitant plus? Mine is just standard and don’t seem to get any erroneous warnings.

Amazing the bullsh1t people try to tell you just to palm you off...clearly there’s a fault somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Back2Beemer said:

@sjak92 is yours just running the standard fit drivers assistance system or have you optioned driving asssitant plus? Mine is just standard and don’t seem to get any erroneous warnings.

Amazing the bullsh1t people try to tell you just to palm you off...clearly there’s a fault somewhere. 

No just the standard one, pedestrian and collision warnings. 

It actually pisses me off that he had the cheek to tell me it’s a dirty windscreen on a 2 day washed car. Like I’m some sort of clueless dickhead. 

Said I’d if it pops up again then give him a call. He even admitted that he cleared loads of errors but on the call out, said I had a really dirty windscreen.

@sjak92  I think he was looking at your meticulously clean car and was winding you up :lol:

But thats probably his stock response. It does sound like you have a fault 

Mine's thrown a hissy fit once or twice in all the time I've had the car. And my car is not particularly clean...

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

No just the standard one, pedestrian and collision warnings. 

It actually pisses me off that he had the cheek to tell me it’s a dirty windscreen on a 2 day washed car. Like I’m some sort of clueless dickhead. 

Said I’d if it pops up again then give him a call. He even admitted that he cleared loads of errors but on the call out, said I had a really dirty windscreen.

Must be a good reason to hand the car back?

1 hour ago, Hudds.taz said:

Must be a good reason to hand the car back? 

Cheeky.

But in all seriousness, if a car has a safety fault which cannot be fixed, you could push for rejection. Thing is I dont want to!

4 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Cheeky.

But in all seriousness, if a car has a safety fault which cannot be fixed, you could push for rejection. Thing is I dont want to!

Agree it’s only happened to me once in the 17months I’ve had mine

Which setting do you have the warning set at? I checked mine this morning and its set to detect at "Early". I haven't had the car brake for me yet, but i've had the orange warning light up in the dash plenty of times. Sometimes it makes a warning beep and sometimes it doesn't.

4 hours ago, A2EEM said:

Which setting do you have the warning set at? I checked mine this morning and its set to detect at "Early". I haven't had the car brake for me yet, but i've had the orange warning light up in the dash plenty of times. Sometimes it makes a warning beep and sometimes it doesn't.

Mid and mid for both. Started up today, drove out from underneath our apartment for the car to do 3 beeps and flashes warning of a collision. Wasn’t event pressing the accelerator, just crawling in D

Hello, I am new here and to BMW are you talking about the option Driving Assistant or is this pre braking and warning a standard bit of kit on all G30s?

regards

Richard

3 hours ago, rlowy said:

Hello, I am new here and to BMW are you talking about the option Driving Assistant or is this pre braking and warning a standard bit of kit on all G30s?

regards

Richard

standard. green lit button next to hazard lights