EDWARD757

EGR delete/remap

Just a quick mention in case others have had similar symptoms to me. My 08MY E61 530d, 191k, has had something funny going on with the EGR. If the vacuum hose is connected she intermittently give no power, normally just as you get into a junction/roundabout. Disconnected she goes well but with the check engine light. HT Motor services, just south of Horsham, we’re recommended to me and for £245 Dale deleted the EGR, removed a swirl flap fault code (they had been removed last year) and applied an economy remap. Suffice to say the check engine light has gone, there are no fault codes and from a rolling start there is a significant increase in performance...more of a push in the back. I can’t judge econ9my yet as I’m on leave but some have suggested I could expect around 3-5mpg improvement.

basically I wish I had done it far sooner and I’d also recommend Andy and Dale at HT motor services.

hope that helps someone.

kind regards,

ed

26 minutes ago, ZaKaS said:

Hi, Im thinking doing egr delete and remap but I dont want cut off dpf. Do you still have dpf in your car? 

You can do that. No EGR does put more strain on the DPF tho apparently. 

Yes the DPF is still fitted. It threw up a fault code about 10-20k ago which I think related to BMW coding in a life for the DPF but a mechanic has told the car it has a new DPF and the car is happy with that. She regens ok and I can get single figure backpressure at idle. The car is generally used on a 50 mile school run or 60 mile journey to work.

Ok, dont want to make new topic so Ill ask here. What happens if I delete EGR and blank swirl flaps? I know that these two things are for emissions and to lower soot and if I remove them does DPF will be ok? It will not start regen twice more or even blocks dpf? 

I personally don’t think it will but I cannot refer you to any sources for evidence. What’s more I cannot see the benefit to the car of sending exhaust gases back into the system. Mine is regenerating happily as it did before and I can’t say it is more frequent. She has just clocked over 192k...

I read a lot about egr and swirl flap blanking and decided definitely turn off egr in system. Im thinking to clean egr map it out but leave it in place dont see the point why I have to take it out. About swirl flaps I want to check them clean intake manifold and if swirl flaps looking good Im thinking to leave them like it was becouse I read many stories that after swirl flap blank they get loss of power on low revs... 

Edited by ZaKaS

Guys I need to get on boat! Today asked 3 tuning garages about remap+EGR delete but keep DPF in car and keep it working. 2 garages told that if EGR is deleted then DPF regen stops, for regeneration needs working egr.... another garage told that DPF still regenerates even if egr is deleted! So who is right who is not? Where is the true :D?

So these 2 garages, who told that dpf stops regen, have bad mapping or low experience in mapping e60 and they dont know what are doing? Interesting thing that garage wich can make remap+egr delete and dpf working offering lowest price to with dyno run. I little lost because these all tuning garages has big recommendations but maybe thats how I need to choose which one is for me :D

3 hours ago, ZaKaS said:

So these 2 garages, who told that dpf stops regen, have bad mapping or low experience in mapping e60 and they dont know what are doing? Interesting thing that garage wich can make remap+egr delete and dpf working offering lowest price to with dyno run. I little lost because these all tuning garages has big recommendations but maybe thats how I need to choose which one is for me :D

Choose opinions of strangers on forums

Or choose opinions of someone who does it as his job.

1 hour ago, Chu said:

Choose opinions of strangers on forums

Or choose opinions of someone who does it as his job.

Hahaha

But seriously... I think that as dpf regen is down to software there will be a way for someone to rewrite the software to make sure the regen still happens after the egr delete. Some people will code out the egr by coding out the faults others will do it properly.

I suggest if you are really concerned that you pick a garage that says it will regen ok after egr is mapped out, get it in writing that all will be ok and then use ista to check if regens are happening... and if they aren't then go back to the garage with your proof and get them to sort it out... still a risk I guess but a bit safer than just winging it!

31 minutes ago, Peggowski said:

Hahaha

But seriously... I think that as dpf regen is down to software there will be a way for someone to rewrite the software to make sure the regen still happens after the egr delete. Some people will code out the egr by coding out the faults others will do it properly.

I suggest if you are really concerned that you pick a garage that says it will regen ok after egr is mapped out, get it in writing that all will be ok and then use ista to check if regens are happening... and if they aren't then go back to the garage with your proof and get them to sort it out... still a risk I guess but a bit safer than just winging it!

Thanks for advice. Many people saying get good remap and everything will be ok. 

From what I've read with the EGR blanked a 530d will have better of the line acceleration as there is pure air going in without being mixed with exhaust gasses.

Also If the EGR opens during acceleration then you'll lose your charged air through it resulting in loss of power which would be your initial issue. There's no reason you cannot have any combination of EGR delete whilst keeping regen for the DPF if they know how to code

Well just to update on my situation...My EML light came on the day after it passed it's MOT and ISTA reported a 'position sensor' issue against the EGR valve...I have since decided to rip the whole cooler and valve out and have ordered an EGR Valve and Cooler delete kit from bimmertune. Looking forward to tearing it out and throwing it over my shoulder as i go along.

On a side note I'm not so looking forward to replacing my glowplug controller as i tried doing it last week but could not get the larger of the 2 connectors off...After an hour of struggling and a bad back, the car won (for the first time in my life), bitch! 

Just back from work so can compare the usual and new mpg. It’s 120 mile round trip, normally 0500 in the morning on the way up and mid afternoon on way home. Country B and A roads, A3, M25, 56-60mph cruise. Generally I can get 42mpg or so but on shutdown today she was saying 50.3mpg with a total tank range of around 720 miles. As I think I have said before the performance is noticeable if you use it but the economy seems markedly up to.

i just wish I had done this when I bought her...

HTH,

Ed

Just to update and help....I've since removed the EGR Valve and Cooler completely. DPF is still in and regenerating fine.