Mows79

E34 530i v8 manual gearbox swap info

Hello to all, I am after some information on what gearbox & rear diff options I can fit to my e34 530i touring?

It is currently a 530i with an auto box. I would like info on what rear diff and gearbox options there are for this car? I would like to end up with a car that will be a ok as a daily driver and not overly ‘revvy’ while at 70 on then motorway.

I know there is a lot of information already written, but is the 5spd a good swap or should I be looking for the 6spd (which is harder/more expensive to find)

Yours hopefully.............

22 hours ago, Mows79 said:

Hello to all, I am after some information on what gearbox & rear diff options I can fit to my e34 530i touring?

It is currently a 530i with an auto box. I would like info on what rear diff and gearbox options there are for this car? I would like to end up with a car that will be a ok as a daily driver and not overly ‘revvy’ while at 70 on then motorway.

I know there is a lot of information already written, but is the 5spd a good swap or should I be looking for the 6spd (which is harder/more expensive to find)

Yours hopefully.............

Hello

I would go for the 5 speed option in the box It's a good strong box and all you need in the real world I rate the 3.64  diff as a good all round performer ...

We have the 3.64 in our manual 540 and is fine on the motorway and is not too revvy.  

Edited by Carl-e34

I would retain the standard diff, a 3.23. The five speed box in the 530i is the ZF 310Z 525i unit but in a different casing with a big bell housing for the V8. Fifth gear is a direct drive 1:1 so with a 3.64 diff it'll be revving its tits off at 80.  The sixth speed in a 540i is an overdrive. 

The problem is finding all the bits - flywheel and clutch, propshaft and gear linkage are all unique to the 530i. The M50 525i prop and gear linkage are close but not close enough.